Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Eddie Clark

Default 2 pos sn @ 115# critique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEEP162Irs <--Work family safe link)

Comments and pointers please.

My thoughts:
I am supposed to be doing 3 position snatches here. However I feel very awkward pulling the smaller plates from the ground so I figure it is a flexibility issue coupled with a lack of skill. So basically I am doing a 2 position snatch 2 below the knees and 1 above the knees.

-I miss on the second below the knee snatch

-I think that I am starting my transition to the third pull too early on all the snatches

-Hip extension isn't powerful/violent/open enough

-I am slow on my third pull, just not getting under it fast enough or aggressive enough on all of the snatches

-I know I shouldn't try to save a miss. But at the Air Force gym there they don't like us civilian types hogging their gym so they would definitely boot me for dropping the weights.

-135 is my max snatch so I am pushing the weight a little with 115. I probably should just focus on technique with a more manageable weight for me.

-it sucks not being able to push it with the o-lifts. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

-There was a rocket attack about five minutes before I took the video so all working out was supposed to be on hold. That's why I am looking around like I just stole someone's cookie. I am probably not helping our cause at the gym either by not following directions am I
Eddie Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Not too bad. Work on a smoother movement through the middle - you're bordering on a pause at mid-thigh. There should be a noticeable acceleration there, but no slowing down previously.

More important is that you're bringing in your arms early. Really focus on towing the bar with the arms, as Tim Swords puts it--stretch yourself away from the bar as you extend. Once you reach that full extension, your arms should be loaded and ready to snap you under the bar.

Finally work on that overhead position - turn the bar over and drive up aggressively immediately.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Eddie Clark

Greg,
Thanks for your time. I definitely got to work on that bottom position. About 2 months ago I finally increased the flexibility of my shoulders enough to start practicing the snatch. As you can tell the bottom of the snatch is still quite uncomfortable for me as evidenced by the wincing, missing, and the grunting I will be doing lots of OHSs and Sn Bals.

I will be at the May O-lift cert with with you and Coach B. I am tying to get myself to a point with the lifts so that I can really maximize the time I will have with you guys. I also intend on working with Coach Mark Cannela of the Columbus Weightlifting Club when I get home to Columbus, OH.

Thanks again,
Eddie
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Cool! Keep stretching and we'll be able to kick your ass as much as possible.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Eric Jones

EDDIE!!!! Man its great to see you on here. You need to get your ass home.
Eric Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Eddie Clark

Eric,
I don't know if coming home is a good thing or not. There a lot of people waiting kick my ass when I get there.
Coach B and Greg both said that I am in for an ass kicking when I show up in Cali. And I am sure you, Bill and Troy will want to kick my ass when I show up at Rogue. Sherri wants to kick my ass for thinking about coming over here in the first place. Pretty much the only person that hasn't said they want to kick my ass is my Mom and I haven't talked to her in a while. So I bet that puts her in line for the ass kickin's too.