Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Jason Naubur

Default Help my wife lose body fat

My wife started on the zone in January (~1.5 months ago). She started with 13 blocks then down to 10 after 2 weeks, which is where she is now (3,2,1,3,1). Two weeks ago she started a 'bootcamp' at our local Crossfit affiliate.

Her current BF is ~44% (!) measured by me at home, and the trainer at the CF gym. Her fitness level is low.

I will post some meals below. It isn't perfect, but we have 3 kids to feed so we sometimes 'bend' the zone - but it has to work for her AND us as a family. After all these years this much change is a lot for her. The fact is her diet is miles better than it was, and less of it. AND she is working out 5 mornings a week. This alone should be enough to support weight loss, no?

I find it hard to look objectively, and want to be the nice supportive husband. My zone works for me, but I have a hard time pushing her - it is uncomfortable for me. Hopefully you nice people can provide some sage advice for me.

For the food below, bread while not the best is Whole sprouted grain - 1 slice is 1 block carbs. Peanut butter is natural. Yogurt is non-fat splenda (I know, I know - one of the things I can't talk her out of)

Wednesday:
Breakfast
2 oz of peameal bacon
2 yogurts
1/2 c grapes
Bread
Peanut butter

Lunch
1 oz chicken
1 oz cheese
2 1/2 cups cooked broccoli
6 nuts

Snack
- missed

Dinner
Tacos
4 oz ground turkey
cheese
1 1/2 taco shells
Tomatoes
Onions
Sour cream
Avocados

Snack
Glass of milk
Peanut butter

Tuesday:
Breakfast
2 oz of peameal bacon
2 yogurts
1/2 c grapes
Bread
Peanut butter

Lunch
1 oz chicken
1 oz cheese
1 cup green beans
Green pepper
6 nuts

Snack
.5 oz chicken
.5 oz cheese
1/2 grapes

Dinner
2 wieners
2 cups broccoli
Cooked onions
Mustard
Bread peanut butter

Snack
2 yogurts
3 nuts

Jason
Jason Naubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

My $0.02. I'm not a big fan of the zone especially with people who may be new to weight loss and more likely to get cravings....I say keep it simple, eat right, and the rest will come. Again is there any 1 right way to lose weight? No...zone can work...paleo can work....lots of things can work....but what works is whatever she will be consistent with!! Here's some options to try...

- Eat 3 meals with 3-4oz protein, as many vegetables (no corn, peas, potatoes), fruit only in the AM and small serving of healthy fat (olive oil, coconut oil, etc)
- Dump all breads, pasta, cereal, processed foods, sodas, etc
- Eat as much healthy protein, vegetables during the day as you want
- Enjoy the weekends a little more with food choices
- Drink a ton of water a day (gallon)
- Dump ALL sugars (find them even in sauces and dressings...look at everything that has a label, chances are it has sugars!)

It's been said that one can eat all day on protein, healthy fats and vegetables (excluding potatoes, corn, peas, carrots and other high sugar content), and lose weight. Carbs should be minimal and only used to meet activity goals. One can always go out and carb up a little on the weekend....and note that I say "a little"...like 100g/day...not 300g/serving. Every diet low in calories should have a "re-feed" day to keep the metabolism strong every 7-10 days.

That alone will not make her OCD about counting nuts or 1/2 a hotdog and get results. Along with 30min of activity a day (even if it is just brisk walking). Weight loss is 90%+ nutrition....not how many calories are burned working out. Her training should be strength based as that is what your metabolism is based on, muscle mass. Watch out for overtraining or burnout....as that will lead only back to emotional overeating and weight gain. Keep her consistent and not feeling like she is "deprived" of anything. Most people who can not lose weight are just emotional eating.

If the zone works for her, then let her keep it up. Personally it's so OCD for myself and realistically I can't see anyone being sane doing this for a lifetime...but if it is a step towards a healthier lifestyle diet down the road, then it can be useful.

It's all about lifestyle eating choices....not short term diets for weight loss....as those people always gain the weight back. And don't be afraid to say that she is basically "killing herself slowly" with bad food choices....you can find lots of studies to increased risks of ALL diseases coming back to obesity and crappy food. It's not about telling her to look better....it's about making her healthier first...and a healthy body will always look better too. Focus on health, also makes your food choices better with that attitude.

Update: Oh and how can I forget to add in some IF 1-2x a week to start. That alone, even if food choices are not optimal, she will at least reduce her daily average caloric intake over a period. But if she is on the zone(which by standard levels is low calorie), she may already be low enough calorie wise, so understand that if she starts to feel too drained. Once she starts seeing results and feels better, she will keep motivated. Fasting will help improve the gut environment and also liver function, both of which are essential to weight loss and health.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Important info that you left out was if your wife had noticed any improvements in bodyfat reduction to this point (or more simply, changes in the way her clothes fit).

First things first with stubborn bodyfat loss is to make sure she is getting 8+ hours (preferably 9-9.5 hours) of sleep. If this can't/won't be managed, don't expect much in the way of results.

If she won't change without lab results to prove it to her, cortisol testing and/or food allergy testing may be in order.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Wow MOD, you nailed things down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Watch out for overtraining or burnout....as that will lead only back to emotional overeating and weight gain.
been there, except I called it "mass gain," haha.

MOD, what's your "go to" if your feeling hungry? So far on this intuitive Paleo thing, the veggies give the "bloat" feeling of fullness, the protein is "solid," and the fat is like a "finisher" with satiety. I just am concerned if I am super-hankering for some food, I'll down like 1000 calories in nuts...like I did before...

I would say the Zone did me well, because you gradually start moving towards quality foods to get a better feeling of satiety. Kind of like a caloric "bang for your buck." Half a piece of toast or 6 cups of spinach....hmm...

The only trouble with the Zone is when you start to stress about proportions, blocks, calories, etc. When you fitday EVERYTHING to figure out the blocks, or constantly refer to the block chart months in to the Zone, it's time to chill out (for me at least). If your eating healthy (PMenu healthy I guess), listening to your stomach and gut is probably the most important indicator, not some freakin ratio.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
MOD, what's your "go to" if your feeling hungry?
I actually eat more IF and "Warrior Style" (Ori's term) where I usually eat very light during the day with more smaller protein/fat based (not carbs....nuts have carbs) and then eat larger at night. I drink a TON of water when I start getting hungry...but to be honest...I like the hungry feeling during the day....keeps me sharp and I don't feel one bit sluggish (not to be confused with starving yourself), more like on edge and very full of energy (cup of Americano in the AM also helps to curb cravings and keep me on edge)...so when I eat at night I enjoy more food and feel satisfied. I just make sure not to eat 2-3hours before bed for GH response and then I really don't count any calories otherwise. I have learned what foods work for me and how to adjust them. Of course it is important to note that I am also already lean (10% BF on average) so I can always "get away" with eating different than say someone who may be 25% BF.

I also did a whole Fat Loss 101 thing on my blog today to keep it all simple....as fat loss is hormonal and things (like Dr G mentioned) like sleep are also important...as you can eat healthy but if your lifestyle is crap, then good luck burning fat....just doesn't happen that way.
http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...er-the-basics/
Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Ben Moskowitz

Hmm, good point. I am feeling slightly hungry, but actually rather mentally clear and elated. I feel like I'm catching on to all this stuff... living happily and simpily... I'll just have to remember not to stress out for the next week haha...

And uh, what's been your process of figuring out what foods work for you? Is this the black box of putting food in and out of your diet? I feel like you'd somehow have to blindfold yourself to actually do it right...

And... what's the story of you getting lean? Was it gradual, Zoned, rapid, planned, spontaneous...?
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Jason Naubur

So an update:

My wife finished a month of crossfit 'bootcamp'. Over the course of the 4 weeks their measurements of her showed (iirc) a ~2lb fat loss, and ~2lb LBM gain. She wasn't ecstatic, but I was, and I told her that.

Then she had a week off and is now back at a new 'bootcamp' session. Her beginning measurements this time show her %fat higher than when she started, and muscle loss!

So - she has a fair bit of fat around her belly. Birthing 3 kids - I can't blame her. But I think that this is making measuring difficult - a little less tension on the tape and you are up an inch. So that might account for that, no?

Also, she has been following a zone diet with not many cheats (2 kids' bday parties in the past few weeks so cake was involved). But my review is OK diet.

Her sleep is the tough one. She is super mom, and getting up at 5:20 for Crossfit, then working all day, then doing a few chores - well it takes time. I help more than usual right now, but the household needs both our attention.

Should I tinker with her diet at all? Less carbs, more fat has worked for me. I don't think she is ready for IFing yet. Or what - skip some crossfit classes for more sleep?

I feel that she is getting frustrated and thinks about weight watchers again. Which I think she liked better since she could eat cheetos if it fit her point count. I want her to stay away from that one. But I am so happy, she eats much better, stopped drinking diet sodas, doesn't cheat much... what else can she do?

Jason
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Naubur View Post
So an update:

My wife finished a month of crossfit 'bootcamp'. Over the course of the 4 weeks their measurements of her showed (iirc) a ~2lb fat loss, and ~2lb LBM gain. She wasn't ecstatic, but I was, and I told her that.

Then she had a week off and is now back at a new 'bootcamp' session. Her beginning measurements this time show her %fat higher than when she started, and muscle loss!

So - she has a fair bit of fat around her belly. Birthing 3 kids - I can't blame her. But I think that this is making measuring difficult - a little less tension on the tape and you are up an inch. So that might account for that, no?

Also, she has been following a zone diet with not many cheats (2 kids' bday parties in the past few weeks so cake was involved). But my review is OK diet.

Her sleep is the tough one. She is super mom, and getting up at 5:20 for Crossfit, then working all day, then doing a few chores - well it takes time. I help more than usual right now, but the household needs both our attention.

Should I tinker with her diet at all? Less carbs, more fat has worked for me. I don't think she is ready for IFing yet. Or what - skip some crossfit classes for more sleep?

I feel that she is getting frustrated and thinks about weight watchers again. Which I think she liked better since she could eat cheetos if it fit her point count. I want her to stay away from that one. But I am so happy, she eats much better, stopped drinking diet sodas, doesn't cheat much... what else can she do?

Jason
Women have it hard. When we menstruate and before too (PMS!!), our bellies expand and often we put on weight. Perhaps measurements were taken at that time??

I know my coach redid my measurements yesterday (didnt get results yet), but he did ask me if I have my menses for that reason alone!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

unless I know exactly what she eats all day and when....I can't even begin to offer suggestions. Weight loss is 85% nutrition and 110% hormonal. Exercise is good of course but if she can not have the mentality that most people who exercise do...and that is "because I exercise I can eat things I enjoy". Which usually means too many calories and the wrong kind....which would be my guess. Or it could be very few calories and metabolic shutdown. I don't know unless you tell me everything that is going on.

Keep it simple...like Mon-Fri eat veggies, fruit (in the AM only) or small healthy fats, meat and fish oil. Whole foods, forget the bars and shakes. Weekends let her eat more foods she enjoys. Low cal weekdays...higher weekends to keep the metabolism strong.

Also review the hormones...as they control what happens
http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...er-the-basics/

Also if it is a case for too much estrogen levels...drop soy, eat veggies esp cabbage/cauliflower/brocolli, and eat non-hormone treated meat.

Quality of sleep can also be an issue....as that can mess up all sorts of hormones esp GH.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Jason Naubur

Thanks, I'll re-read your articles.

My concern is that her diet is very good, and she has been quite strict. I am very proud of her commitment - but something needs to change. I understand the difficulties of Internet Diagnosis, I guess I was hoping for some secret tricks I haven't come across yet.

We'll refocus on the diet, and see how we can tweak it for her.

Jason