Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Pierre Auge

Default Significant Impacts

So if you aren't aware I got hit by a car while riding my bike this past monday, after inflicting considerable damage to the car, doing first aid on myself, taking control of the situation and getting myself to the hospital I didn't feel half bad.

None of the areas which came into contact with the car have any soreness or pain of any kind. But here's the kicker, about 2 hours prior I did CrossFit's "On the Minute Pull-Up" workout if you know what I'm talking about. Now since the morning after the accident I have been feeling like I've done about 8000 pull-ups, my lats are swollen, and I have some terrible elbow tendonitis and forearm swelling.

I feel great other than the fact that I feel like a guy who spent 2 days doing max sets of max pull-ups. I am thinking that whether it was a GTO response or not when I received the impact the force affected my previously worked muscles in a way I wish they hadn't.

Been soaking in cold water, icing, doing some pnf strectching to prevent shortening because I'm having a hard time straightening my arms. Opinions...
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

The only opinion I have is "That Sucks"!

Any bike-car accident where you perform the first responder duties and still are able to walk out of the hospital with minimal injuries is a win in some way.

I ask this like a true bicyclist, was your bike trashed?

I wonder if the soreness is some weird combination of adrenaline, lactic acid and extreme muscle tension during the accident.

Best of luck Pierre

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Pierre Auge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I ask this like a true bicyclist, was your bike trashed?

I wonder if the soreness is some weird combination of adrenaline, lactic acid and extreme muscle tension during the accident.

Derek, no the bike is not completely trashed just the rear wheel and the chain from what I can tell.

And I think my soreness which continues to get worse as well as the swelling, is a result a combination of all of the things you mentioned as of a severe GTO response. But I think I may start taking some anti inflamatories because I can barely straighten my arms and my lats keep swelling which actually looks pretty cool but makes me feel like a useless bodybuilder!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Allison Barns

I'll second Derek...That Sucks!!

Take care of yourself!
Allison

(for the 'unschooled' among us - what's GTO?)
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Pierre Auge

Golgi Tendon Organ, its the means by which your body tells your muscles in most cases to either contract with all their might or relax completely in the event of crisis. It has other functions that I don't fully understand but that should be the jist of it. I'm SURE Robb, Greg or someone else more educated than I can correct me if I'm wrong or at least elaborate on the subject further if they so choose.

I'm not so schooled myself to be honest..... I am fixin' on doin' some book lernen event-uly!

I know two things real well though, workin out real hard, and shooten things eh...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Allison Barns

Thanks Pierre.
Get well soon!
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

You could always hang out at Golds and talk to the women on the treadmills until your lats go down.

Seriously though, get better. I played 4 full hockey games (not the same as a car hitting me...but felt like it) in 48hrs last weekend and the next day I could barely walk. I found hot/cold showers helped. Definitely felt like an overload on my system. Not sure if fasting helps in a case like that....taking the stress off digestion and letting that energy be used for healing is a good thing, but I also imagine your body is craving minerals and vitamins...so maybe juice fasting? Or just fruits and veg?
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Pierre Auge

was fasting all yesterday, drank tons of water, also had to report for duty over at the reserve unit so it was a rough day. I personaly don't prescribe to juice consumption, I have a very low tolerance for glycemic load, in fact in my 2x12 hypertrophy zone that I'm doing right now I've replaced the carbs intake with protein and fat blocks and have a 45gram per day carb intake.

So really it doesn't look like the zone in any way what so ever.... Other than my portion control is by use of blocks. It would technically be a MetDiet I guess... Hmmmmmm my bad.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Robb Wolf

Hey Pierre Take care amigo. Rhabdo could have been looming with the impact from both the car and pull-ups. Bad stuff.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Pierre Auge

Robb,
Holly crap, I didn't clue in yesterday when I used the men's room but I did have some very dark urine, though I feel much better today. I think I'll be ok at this point but I'm going to keep an eye on it because kidney dialosis is the last thing I need right now....