Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Stanley Daniel

Default trying to find article on Pmenu PWO+fats/fruit thoughts

Hey, 2 questions and looking for supporting journal articles if possible

** What's the take now on mixing fats (i.e. avocados) with lower GI carbs (oats) and a faster absorbing protein (i.e. whey isolate) ?

It seems many do this here and on the crossfit forums... it definitely puts me in curiosity mode because I know the biochemical actions of insulin and theoretically what happens from school...

In the past I've stuck with higher GI carbs (i.e. dextrose or waxy maize starch) with whey (in a 2:1 ratio carbs : protein) just based on the theory of the glucose transporter uptake in muscle/adipose tissue (GLUT4 transporters) after physical training...

I've been doing the zone 16 block plan and have been measuring/weighing my amounts based on nutritional data website or the food label itself... I've got the other concepts down for the most part - it's been ~1.5 weeks now...

** My other question was concerning fruit in general (as an added carb source in any other meal or in PWO)

It seems that many here might stick to 1-2 fruit servings (i.e. apples/berries/kiwis...) if at all, and substitute more low-intermediate dense carb veggies instead...

If you could post some thoughts on these two questions that would be cool, plus I'd like to know what issues of performance menu I should get to read up on the theory behind it... thanks...
Stanley Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Daniel View Post
** What's the take now on mixing fats (i.e. avocados) with lower GI carbs (oats) and a faster absorbing protein (i.e. whey isolate) ?
What kind of results are you looking for? Fat loss? Muscle gain? Recovery? Sounds almost like a "zone" like portion? At that point why the Whey?

I'd say stick with a pwo if you are needing quicker recovery for high training volume levels....otherwise, whole foods all day long build muscle too....as a muscle builds 24/7 for many days after a workout...not just in the 1-3 hour time window.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Stanley Daniel

Mike, thanks for the fast reply - basically I am doing the xfit WOD's and primary goal of fat loss surrounded by the zone diet, slightly modified in regards that I'm counting my macro totals...

So to answer your follow-up question, this would primarily be for fat loss at the present moment... I don't have a particular time as to when I train... it could be morning or night - so, I have been treating this "pwo" as a zone meal pretty much... sometimes I eat a proportioned "4 block" solid food-based meal instead....

The whey was just an option that I've used, but I've dramatically cut down on the consumption of powder and swapped to more whole foods - need to work on dropping the fruit content though... it [fruit] just had easy carb portability!

I was just curious to know about P+F+C combos and fat loss after training and the situations with the conflicting fruit threads I read on here and the crossfit boards...

For example, I had a 4 block "zone" meal after doing today's WOD
5 rounds 400m + 95lb power clean snatchx15 for 5 rounds

protein :
38grams 100%ON whey cookies.cream : 28grams protein

carbs :
20 grams frozen no sugar added blueberries
55 grams regular quaker oats
= ~36grams carbs (i subtracted the dietary fiber)

fat :
52 grams avocado
= ~7grams fat

Not increasing the fat blocks yet, trying to get a total ~12grams on a 4blocker...

I'm still searching around for more info based on whether I should have put in the carbs from the avocado or the fat from the oats - or soley just look at the face value macro on what type of food it is... b/c that avocado above had about 4grams of carbs along with the 7 grams of fat...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Ari Kestler

If your goal is fat loss avoid the shakes...really any liquefied food...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

I don't believe you have to avoid PWO shakes or all liquified food for fat loss.

There are many different ideos on PWO and what you shouldn't or shouldn't not do. It gets to be very very confusing, my best advice is to stick with one regimen for at least a month - 2 months before making a decision on any one method.

I personally go with powdered gatorade and whey PWO depending on how long my workout was and what the rep range went into.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Stanley, I don't understand what you are asking with the second "question"...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Stanley Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler
Right, I'd have to agree with you on this! Solids meals for the most part that is, brings much more of a thermogenic effect... metabolic rate increase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh
my best advice is to stick with one regimen for at least a month - 2 months before making a decision on any one method.

I personally go with powdered gatorade and whey PWO depending on how long my workout was and what the rep range went into.
I'll agree that nothing happens overnight! Results usually take a few weeks to appear if that is the goal... Again, I was just doing some "prep" work prior to getting into it in depth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret Smith
Stanley, I don't understand what you are asking with the second "question"...
Ah yeah, this one is a bit tricky to word to ask Basically what I wanted to know was the if others counted the other minor macro when focusing on the main macro of interest... i.e. avocados : we're looking at the fat content mainly, but they have around 4grams of carbs for every serving of 52grams of avacodo. A 52gram serving has ~7 grams of fat which I am concerned to factor in.

If I had some lean meat which had ~1.5 grams of fat per "block of protein" that would total my fat goal of 4x1.5(3) to around 12grams total... that is if I am correct that for a 4 block meal, we should roughly get about 12grams of fat either from protein or other sources of fat? for normal situations, not the x2 or x3 fat....

Sorry about the wording of this - it's a bit confusing I know...

Thanks guys for the replies
Old 04-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Daniel View Post
I was just curious to know about P+F+C combos and fat loss after training and the situations with the conflicting fruit threads I read on here and the crossfit boards...
You lost me once you went all zone language and formulas...as that is all too OCD and confusing for even the unfrozen caveman lawyer...

Remember fat burning is an all day calorie and hormonal event...as broken down in this simplistic pov post here

If you zone and it works...more power to you...otherwise....this works too:
Meat + Veggies + Fat (meals)
Meat + Carbs (pwo)
Eat whole foods only
Add in Fruit (classified as a carb) only either in AM or PWO (but keep as minimal as possible if weight loss is a goal....if you need it to keep from going into a hypoglycemic coma after a workout...then have some. As far as pwo windows and building muscle is concerned...don't worry about it, you will build plenty all day long)

The only right way is the one that gets results....and there is probably 10 different ways to do that....
Old 04-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Stanley,
When I did the Zone, if something gave enough macros to contribute a half a block or more (of the minority ones), then I counted it.

I didn't like the goal of measuring and calculating macros only to ignore 2 of 3 macros in a food. If one was drinking milk, for example, which has significant contributions from all three macros, why ignore that? Also, when eating a mixed/prepared food (ie. a stew) that one didn't make from scratch, all the macros would need to be counted, as they are all there.

I got very lean (tape measure and digital calipers both said ~6%) doing the OCD (mostly) Paleo/Zone. All macros were included in totals, unless they did not round off to at least a half block. I was even having dark chocolate and wine with most dinners, counting all the calories in wine (alcohol and carbs) as carbs, and counting the carbs and protein in my almonds.

Basically, it worked. I did no PWO supplementation and lost no appreciable lean mass. I did have the "fat crash", where my energy and performance went to heck (due to inadequate calories), when I had to start upping my fat blocks to the Athlete's Zone (I think I jumped to 3X at that point, 5X later).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Not sure the problem here with the liquefied foods?

My whole-Paleo-food loving self doesn't do shakes anymore, but the V-Diet has shown promising (read:astounding) results for many, and that's only one solid meal per week for 28 days.

Yet I digress... just curious as to the problem with shakes/liquefied foods (other than taste)
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote