Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Gittit Shwartz

Default Gittit's Experiment

Some background:
I've been doing Capoeira (at Ido Portal's place, Hacasa) for 7 years. In the past 3 years my routine has been 2 hours Capoeira or Gymnastics training every day, six days a week, plus strength training, equilibre, yoga, and of course more Capoeira and acrobatics...
I've made a lot of progress in these years athletically. Gained a good deal of muscle mass, and at one point (just a few months ago) I was doing 6 pull-ups, and starting to hold a tuck planche. However my progress was much hindered by yo-yo dieting.
In September I did almost 3 weeks of the Velocity diet. I lost weight (some muscle in there too) at a ridiculous rate and in the end I was leaner than I had ever believed I could be, hence all the low-bodyweight benefits mentioned above. At the time my training was ridiculously high volume - 4-8 hours a day. I stopped V-dieting because I experienced several frightening dizzy spells - everything would go black and I actually started to fall down, then caught myself.
Shortly after that I had an equally spectacular rebound. In 2 months I gained over 20lbs (and lost 5 pullups). Just to put everything on the table (not trying to offer excuses) my personal life was in a bad mess at the time, so I can't attribute it only to the extreme low cal-high volume combination as I do have a history of emotional binge eating.

Two weeks ago I decided to take a break from Capoeira and acrobatics training, with several goals in mind:
- To work on some nagging problems with both wrists and both shoulders. My ROM in both joints is very poor and naturally they've taken a lot of wear and tear and are a big limiting factor in both my sports.
- To improve my sport-specific conditioning, come back in better shape - since I am a bit detrained and way too heavy right now.
- To see how I felt with less training volume (which makes more sense to me from an evolutionary-fitness point of view).

This is my plan:
Diet:
Velocity Diet (started Feb 25), then 2 weeks transition.
(Using whey protein, 1 tsp coconut oil & 1 tbsp fresh ground flax seeds with each shake. No Hot-Rox or Surge, emergen-C after strength training.)

Training:
Sun, Tue, Thu (morning) - Strength training.
Mon, Thu (evening) - Short session of hill sprints.
Sun, Wed, Fri - Work on handstands and bridges, progressing very gradually and carefully to walkovers. Planche and Front-lever progressions.

Rehab/re-training:
I am living with a Feldenkrais teacher so I get to do a one-on-one lesson Every morning Sunday through Wed, right before or right after training.

I'll be doing this for at least 4 more weeks, depending on how I progress.

Now for a starting question: I feel since I slashed volume considerably I can up the intensity... And frankly it feels strange not to be burning so many calories. I wonder if I could throw in a MetCon once a week while on the V-diet? I admit it is hard to do the sprints, I'll tough it out, but I wouldn't want to push myself over much physically and end this turn on the V-diet the way the last one ended. Opinions?
I guess I'll give it a shot and see how I feel.
Gittit Shwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Gittit Shwartz

Default Sunday, 9 March

This is my strength training plan:

Workout A
(A) Deadlift 5X5, rest 2 min
(B1) Overhead Squat 5 reps
(B2) Skin the Cat and back 2-5 reps
*Perform B for 5 cycles.
(C) Isometric splits

Workout B
5 cycles of
(A1) Weighted Pistols 5 reps
(A2) Pull-ups (gravitron assisted at this stage) 5 reps
(A3) Dips (assisted, emphasis on full depth) 5 reps
(A4) Hanging Jacknives 5 reps
Then
(B) Shoulder Prehab with bands.

I alternate workouts A and B on Sun, Tue and Thu so one week I do A twice and B once, and the next week the reverse.

The gym is being renovated now and all the barbells were in the closed off area, so last week I subbed DB deadlifts and one-arm OHS for the barbell equivalents.

This morning I walked to the gym to do B and found it was closed for the last day of renovation. I walked on to a playground. I was thirsting for punishment so I decided to do the same routine MetCon-style: 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of pistols, jump pull-ups, jacknives, frog dips (legs hooked around the vertical pole for assistance) for time.
I completed it in 11 minutes - welcoming the rising nausea with chants of "Growth Hormone! Growth Hormone!" Then I lay down on a plastic slide for a bit...
My conditioning sucks right now but it was just what the doctor ordered. A welcome bit of acute stress. Too much serenity isn't a good thing for me.

By the way, this (Workout B) is Ido's classic Capoeira conditioning routine.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Gittit Shwartz

Yesterday was strange.
I had been feeling a little down in the mouth for a few days, for no apparent reason - throat dry and hot, occasionally naseous, restless, irritable. There's a flu going around here too, so I thought maybe I was fighting it behind the scenes. Or maybe I was just being soft with myself and all I needed was a good kick in the pants.
So yesterday morning when I found my gym was closed I decided to do a little (11 minute) MetCon to shake myself straight again. Of course I felt great for a little while after. I fell asleep in the early evening, and woke up after an hour grumpier than ever. I couldn't concentrate on the reading and writing I was supposed to do. I jumped at sudden innocuous sounds as if my life was in danger. Every muscle in my body was tense. I could see and feel my pulse fluttering irregularly in one temple. I felt generally angry with no object. I wanted to sprint. I couldn't fall asleep, and late at night began craving sugar madly (I rarely have carb cravings). I felt like a werewolf. I had an extra shake and a few tsp of almond butter and finally fell asleep. Slept like a log.
I wonder what's going on...

Last edited by Gittit Shwartz; 03-10-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added some details.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Gittit,
Sounds like a good homeopathic case to me, hopefully you know someone.

At the very least, get some true rest.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Gittit Shwartz

I'm better today but still feeling a little crazy.
I'm going to turn in early and get as much sleep as I can today. Probably push tomorrow's strength training to Wednesday, and just do some handbalancing. Also, I think I will lay off the shakes or any food for at least 15 hours. Who knows what those artificial sweeteners are doing to you brain. Stay off the computer / cell phone too.
I think that answered my question about doing metcons on the velocity diet.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

All that Splenda could be getting to you, absolutely...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Gittit Shwartz

Dr. G - I am taking some liver support stuff as per your recommendation - the Solgar detox formula. I'm not sure what effects to expect but I guess the liver can always use some help.

I can never understand how people shrug this kind of thing off, "it's just one of those things..." There's nothing more fascinating to me than how the mind works and as little as I know I just have to try and figure out causes and effects...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Gittit Shwartz

I wish it was Splenda (and I've already caught sucralose in the act of messing with my mind). My stuff has acuselfume-K...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Gittit Shwartz

Huh... It does look like I might be shooting myself in the foot with this diet. I hate to quit something I committed to but I got nothing to prove to anyone, I've already done the Velocity diet. I'll see how I'm doing the next few days and make a decision.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

Gittit,
If you could find a non-artificially-sweetened whey protein, I don't see why you couldn't continue your experiment.

Also, your symptoms could be related to the liver product increasing certain detox pathways.

It's likely a combination of both.