Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
Gittit Shwartz

Default Afternoon stuff

Tucked Planche
Tucked front lever
6 sets of 10 seconds each for a total of 60 seconds.

5 short hill sprints - not sure how long the hill is. They take me 20-25 seconds.

I was wondering if I should be doing these. Everyone warns against overtraining on the V-Diet - I sure as hell overtrained when I did it last fall, but none of it was metcon, and I had a big rebound though I didn't get sick. These are short sprints (the hill is 250m long - my best time to the top is 48 seconds, but I'm not going to the top).

I wish there was a red light that went on when you were overreaching. And a pink one that went on when you were just being a p****.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
Gittit Shwartz

I was feeling playful today, more in the mood for jumping than pulling.
I haven't done oly lifts in over a year, so I was just messing around:

Clean & Jerk -
30kg triplets X 3
35kg singles X 5
Missed 40kg (my personal best)

3 rounds of
OHS 25kg X 5 reps
Pull up + 2 Skin the Cats

"Pancake" stretch

Went home and foam rolled my shoulders til they were happy.

I'm not being very consistent with my program. I'm just so thrilled that I actually like training again, I let myself play, as long as I'm covering all my bases.

This was a good day.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #23
Gittit Shwartz

OK, no more Velocity diet for me. The headaches and hoarseness are not going away. I hate to think what's going on beneath the surface. Guess it's never wise to think we can outsmart Mother Nature...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Good decision!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #25
Gittit Shwartz

Update from the weekend:
The headaches disappeared as soon as I stopped drinking shakes. My voice is still hoarse though, no idea what could be causing it.
I ate too much sugar at a Purim party on Friday night, and woke up the next day (at 3PM) with a sore throat & temperature. Slept through most of the day and had just a small meal before bed, so it turned out I fasted 22 hours - this was the longest fast I've done since my last Yom Kippur maybe 10 years ago.

Workout today:
Warmed up doing some quick snatches with just the bar... Someone told me one of the gym instructors was an O-lifting champion in one of the Soviet countries. Bowlegged, in his late 50's I would guess, short with shoulders as broad as a house, stalks around the gym all day with the biggest ankle weights I've ever seen. I can see him in the mirror looking at me out or the corner of his eye when I lift but he always turns away and pretends that he wasn't. He's the only one that hasn't yet joined my fan club but it looks like I'll have to be the one to quit the game and ask him for some help with the O-lifts!

3 rounds of
5 X Pistols + 5kg
5X HLR

Tabatas:
Push ups (knees on the floor) 21 14 10 8 7 7
Reverse sit-ups
Pull ups (assisted)
BW Squats
I messed up the timing in the last 3 so I won't post numbers (they were pretty pathetic anyway).

No PWO shake. I ate when I was hungry, about an hour later: salmon, broccoli and brussels sprouts with a dash of olive oil.

I'm really feeling disoriented now with rethinking practically every rule I've lived by in the past 5 years. I'm not sure what to do with diet now that the V-diet is out, how to balance training between progress, fat loss and recovery. Basically this is the first time I'm planning for myself. I'm rereading lots of posts and articles I just skimmed over a while ago. But most of all I just need to pick a plan and be consistent.

We're in the middle of the first heat wave of the season... And I vowed months ago that I would not wear shorts until I got my weight back under 49kg...
Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 AM   #26
Gittit Shwartz

Yesterday was a long weighted walk and some tennis ball rolling on my tabata- pushups-sore shoulder girdle. I didn't do the triceps and today it's still difficult to lock my arms.
Only 5 hours of sleep today (hard to fall asleep on super low carbs). I got up feeling pretty alert though, must have wakened at the right point in the sleep cycle. What with lack of sleep and the tabata soreness, I didn't expect much from this morning's workout but I was wrong as I will tell:

Warmup - Coach Sommer's wrist prehab routine, upward facing/downward facing dog to prepare the wrists and shoulders.
C&J - working up:
35kg 1-1-1-1-1
37.5kg 1-1-1-1
Almost didn't try for my PR...
40 kg - missed first attempt
40 kg - GOT IT! I matched my PR - and this is my second Oly workout in over a year! I think it was just a matter of deciding to drop under the bar no matter what, and going for it with confidence.

Finished up with
OHS
25kg X 5
30kg X 5 - but I was not locking my elbows so went back down
25kg X 5

Coach Valery (the Bulgarian Olympic lifter from my previous post) saw me grinning all over the place after the C&J PR and came over to comment on my technique (it sucks ) So that was two triumphs in one day! He coached me on the empty bar for a few minutes. I'm going to have to start using the false grip.

Last edited by Gittit Shwartz : 03-25-2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Misleading set/rep notation
Gittit Shwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #27
Gittit Shwartz

Tuesday afternoon:
Tucked Planche (knees pressing against elbows), Tucked Front lever 6 X 10 seconds

Wednesday:
5 rounds of
Gravitron Pull-ups 1kg assistance X 3
Gravitron Dips 1 kg assistance X 4
Skin the Cats X 2
Wasn't in the mood for anything else.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #28
Gittit Shwartz

I wasn't even planning to go to the gym today - got off the train back from teaching the kids and spontaneously told the cabbie to take me to the gym instead of home.

Prep - Coach Sommer's wrist prehab pushups, OHS with broomstick

Played around a bit with just the bar doing drop snatches (I think that's what they're called? Start with the bar in back squat position with a wide grip, and try to drop into an overhead squat - ideally the bar should not move from its absolute position).

I'm starting to see the results of all the recent month's work on upper body mobility. I remember a year ago OHS's were excruciating and drop snatches nearly impossible. Feeling good now!

Regular snatches - feeling out the technique

The angle of palm to forearm in the snatch grip aggravated my wrist pain so I stopped.

Finished up with
Handstand holds
Tucked Planche/Front lever 6x10 seconds

I'm going to start posting diet too to keep myself accountable. I won't usually use a scale, I'm pretty accurate with the eyeball method.

Between 1:00 PM and 8:30 PM

Foods:
Green tea
Chicken breast ~ 500g
Coconut milk - less than 1/2 can
Broccoli
1 tsp coconut oil
1 cup of coffee (instant)
*gulp* 1/2 bar (50g) 85% dark chocolate

Breakdown:
100g Pro, 85g Fat, >20g Carbs, ~1200 kCal

*I had salt cravings all day - I get that when I've been overdoing caffeine. I really shouldn't have more than 2-3 cups per week.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #29
Gittit Shwartz

Default Friday

By the 11 AM (15th hour of fasting) I was getting spacey. It was hard to get started with the workout (at 1PM - the 18th hour) though not necessarily harder than usual to do it.

Sumo Deadlifts:
45kg x5
45kg x5
50kg x5
55kg x5
60kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3

Grip was the bottleneck again.

Tabatas: (timed with one of the Tabata music tracks in my mp3 player)
Push ups (on knees) - 20 12 9 8 7 7
Pull ups (gravitron assistance level 5) - 10 10 10 9 9 9
*The gravitron was slowing me down in the eccentric part - next time I should stand with my feet on the elevator rather than kneel. I don't feel I got anything out of this session of pull-ups except for a pump in my forearms.
Squats - 21 20 17 17 16 16

Food today:
Had a few almonds, tsp of coconut oil before heading to the gym.
Shabbat dinner with my family so food sources are all over the place:
Between 15:00 and 19:30
Protein sources: chicken breast, lean beef, 1 egg
Fat sources: coconut milk, tehini, fish oil
Veg: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower (ladies, cruciferous veggies are your friends), zucchini, onion, mushrooms and carrot
1 square of 85% chocolate
No coffee (yes green tea)
Breakdown:
135 Pro, 121 Fat, 54 Cho - 1806 kCal
Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
Gittit Shwartz

Saturday
Rest/Refeed day - I managed to pull that off without feeling too guilty and without it turning into a binge. Step in the right direction.

Sunday
Walked to the gym with my very sprightly grandmother. I did
30 Pullups in sets of 2-3, in about 30 minutes
(on the gravitron with assistance level 1)
Why am I not seeing improvement here? I could not do 1 dead hang pull-up. I hope it was just a bum day.

Food - between 1PM - 7PM:
1 cup turkish coffee
Protein: canned tuna, eggs
Fat: olive, coconut & fish oils, avocado, pecans
Veg: cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, brussels sprouts
1 packet Emergen-C
Breakdown: Pro 110g, Fat 90g, Carb 43, Calories 1385