Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #41
Gittit Shwartz

Well, I weighed 400g more this morning than last week. (Stay calm, Gittit...) Guess I better be tracking my intake more closely.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #42
Gittit Shwartz

Sunday 7/13 AM
Shoulder warmup, bridge pullouts (bananeira)
(A1) Seated barbell overhead press (part 2 of the Poliquin program) - the Rx was to do wave-like loading : 5,4,3,5,4,3. I messed it up a bit by starting too high and resorting to back arching to complete the press.
25kg X5, 20X5, 25X3, 22.5X5, 25X4 (with good form this time), 27.5X3
(A2) Gravitron pull-ups (assistance level 2)
5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4 reps
So close... I can't wait to get my first pullup in over 6 months!

Planche/Front lever (PFL) 6X10 sec each

DB cuban press 1 kg X 12, 1.5 X 12
Squat calf raise - this is where you sit at the bottom of a bodyweight squat, shift to your toes without rising, and back to your heels. 50 reps burned like nothing else.

Monday 7/14 AM
Plyometrics: 3 sets of standing jump to stair 3, alternating with
3 sets of punch jump starting from stair 2
(Same as last week)

5 X 5 bodyweight pistols

2 rounds of
Standing weighted pike stretch (20 kg X 30 sec)
Pancake stretch on floor (20 kg X 30 sec)

* Had 200g yams after this. I think it helped in that I wasn't as drained after this as last week with no PWO carbs.

Monday PM
Capoeira
5 X Hill sprints to the halfway point

* Whey protein and 1/2 cup craisins

Handstands
Front & Right side isometric splits

Tuesday 7/15 PM
Capoeira
Tuesday is usually an easier class physically because we do Capoeira Angola or "traditional" Capoeira. This week we had a tough class, high-speed, and we did a lot of bridge variations. I've been trying to avoid bridges... Sure enough my hands were throbbing after this class because they were forced past 90 degrees (I have bone spurs on the back of both hands/wrists which makes it excruciatingly painful to go past 90).
Front splits

Wednesday 7/16 AM
Shoulder warmup and bananeiras
(A1) Eccentric pull ups (maybe they should be called "let-downs"!)
1X20 seconds, 1X20, 1X20, 1X15, 1X10, 1X10
(A2) Eccentric HSPU (feel resting against wall for balance)
1X20, 1X10, 1X10, 1X10, 1X10, 1X10
These deteriorated very quickly. Going for maximum from the first set was a mistake. Next time I'll pace myself - maybe 10 seconds but focusing on not crashing through the bottom part.

PFL
Side lying rotator cuff 2 sets X 2kg X 12 reps

I was completely drained after this. Feels like my body is compensating for a calorie deficit by leaving me with no energy to do anything but lie down.

Wednesday PM
Right split
No handstands, my hands are hurting from the Tuesday class. Massaged them with Traumeel.

Thursday 7/16 AM
Was pressed for time so no warmup or auxiliary stuff - just deadlifts, neat.
40kg X 5
50kg X 3
55kg X 3 (hmmm... Last week the bar almost fell from my hands...)
57.5 kg X 2
60kg X 1 (!!!)
65kg X 1 (?!!)
67.5kg X 1 (---) <== gritted teeth
70kg X 1 (Jump for joy and grin at the gaping biceps-curling mirror-glancing metro boys... Ah, nobody here to understand my heart... Call up friend whom I recently goaded into lifting over twice this weight. I'm not even sure I've ever pulled 60kg!)

* Earned those yams!

Thursday PM
Capoeira
Bridge pull-outs
Handstands - did a few sets but my hands are still too messed up to get into proper position.
Left side splits
Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #43
Gittit Shwartz

I tracked my calories meticulously this week, with some days as low as 1100 kCal. I did not lose one ounce of my weight.

I stuck to my program but outside of the workouts I was completely exhausted the entire week. Even on the rest days. Feeling like I regressed to where I was two months ago, before Dr. G prescribed REST.

I'm feeling a ton of pressure, both internal and external, to get back in shape fast, since the tests I took last month were technically in the normal range... (I bet they would not be if I took them now.) Anyway, I've been really stressed from this and a couple other things.

Well Dr. G talked some sense into my head (thanks, Dr. G)... My adrenals are NOT back to normal, they were at the bottom of the range and I can easily squeeze them out and be back where I started. So jumping into lots of stress, training more and harder and eating less was doing just that. I need to rethink my plan. Hard work leading to exhaustion and weight gain means something is not right.

Thinking it out a bit:

Things that leave me feeling completely drained:

- Monday's workout - Plyometrics and 5X5 pistols
- Negatives (Wednesday's WO)
- Deadlifting triples
- Days with super low cals
- "Forced" fasting (some days I feel like fasting and feel good after, but some days I wake up hungry and it kills me)
- Doing too many sets of a taxing exercise
- Full hill sprints (they take me over a minute)
- Training 5/2 (training days / rest days) - I didn't feel much more recovered after 2 days than 1. 3/1/2/1 should be better.

Things on my plan that feel good:

- Pulling singles!!!
- The PWO carbs were very helpful
- One tbsp coconut oil in hot water before breakfast every morning (picked that up from Poliquin's site somewhere. It's supposed to help the thyroid regulate itself - I don't know but I just feel good when I do this).

Gentle reader, if you're still with me at this point, comments/suggestions are most welcome!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #44
sarena kopciel

Hey great job on identifying things that stress you and/or may not yet be available to you!! Now the step is to slow down and recognize those things and find a way to resolve that they may not be worth tackling just yet!!

Heads up to you!! Listen to your body, somehow it does know what is BEST!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #45
Gittit Shwartz

I've been eyeballing my meat portions, used to be able to hit the exact weight to a gram... I got suspicious yesterday and pulled out the food scale, turns out my "eyeball portion" has evolved to about 60% of the true size. I guess it would be smart to do periodic calibration in the future.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #46
Gittit Shwartz

Saturday to Wednesday, forced layoff... A wisdom tooth acted up and I was running a slight temperature for several days. I'm on antibiotics, the fever is gone, but the worst part was I couldn't fall asleep because my face was hurting, and when I did sleep I would wake up every two hours and have to go stuff my cheek with frozen peas... Last night I (shamelessly) took some Ibuprofen and managed to get about 9 hours (though I still woke up for a couple hours in the middle).
I'd been ignoring the periodic inflammation around that tooth ever since it started to poke its way out because I hated the though of having it extracted, but it looks like I'll have to if I don't want this happening again.
I love how the dentists explain why EVERY wisdom tooth needs to be extracted: "Paleo people didn't have dentists, toothpaste or fluorinated water, so the wisdom teeth would only be replacing teeth that rotted and fell out." Makes me want to hit them on the forehead with my prized Weston A. Price "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" .
I didn't do too well with diet in those days, and I'm a bit disappointed with myself. I can't chew or eat anything warm, so I've been doing whey protein shakes, veggie shakes, boiled eggs, lots of fish oil... but also way too much almond butter, soft fruit, and a load of plain old farmed, non-organic, pasteurized, cow's milk dairy, which would make me feel sick even if I wasn't already. At least I logged everything... I pulled myself together today and made a "mush" of chicken, vegetables and coconut milk in the blender (doesn't look attractive but actually tastes pretty good).
I feel better now, heading for Capoeira class - we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #47
Gittit Shwartz

The wisdom tooth was taken out on Sunday. Another week's course of antibiotics. I've been sleeping erratically (for some reason it starts hurting more at night). I was lethargic and spaced out all week and opted against training except for Capoeira and some handstands and pistols. That's two weeks off of strength training...
Diet - chewing still hurt so I made shakes of whey protein powder, mixed veggies steamed and cooled, and ice, with almond butter or fish oil for fat. A few fresh figs and berries did get in there too. They say Eve's apple was actually a fig (the Bible doesn't say "apple" in the original, just "fruit"). When I see a fresh fig I lose all will to resist...

Finally got back in the gym yesterday and dragged through a workout:

Friday 8/1
Circuit x 3:
5 Pullups (assistance level 4)
15 Reverse Hyper
5 Dips (assistance level 4)
5 Knees to Elbows

No warmup, no flexibility, no auxiliary stuff.

Today after taking my glandulars and a big breakfast I felt 10 times better - energetic and focused, in spite of poor sleep. I felt like a big workout and here it is:

Saturday 8/2

Shoulder & wrist warmup
Bridge pullouts
Free handstands (these felt really good - held for about 10 seconds each time with good form)

Hang squat snatch technique with 10 and 15 kg

Clean and Jerk: 3 singles with 30kg, 4 singles with 35

Snatch-grip DL: 55, 55, 55, 57.5, 57.5

Weighted standing pike stretch and pancake stretch - 2 sets of 30 seconds each with 20kg plate

I made sure to "leave something in the tank" in this workout.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #48
Gittit Shwartz

Sunday 8/3

I finally slept through the night today, but for some reason I'm feeling a bit slumped, compared to yesterday. It showed in the workout:

Shoulder and wrist warmup
Bridge pullouts
My back has been hurting in these and in cobra stretches. I need to do some squats. Also, work on "L" bridge pullouts - with the entire length of the legs resting against the wall, because I feel I'm putting most of the arch in the lower back where I'm reasonably flexible, and not opening the thorax/shoulders to the fullest, which is the area I want to work on.
Free handstands

Medium grip pull-ups: 5@3 (5 reps with level 3 assistance), 4@2, 4@2, 4@2, 4@2 Started getting dizzy after the 4th set.
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press:
20x5, 22.5x4, 25x3, 22.5x5, 25x3 Set #5 was supposed to be 4 reps, I could barely lock out the 3rd rep and I felt dizzy. Decided to call it a day.

Lateral raises 2x10, 2x10, 2.5x8

Since I haven't been making progress with fat loss, I decided to try an "eskimo" diet - as close as possible to zero carbs. I won't be counting calories as I've been really obsessing over that (fitday junkie). I will be using some dairy. 15g fish oil per day, and I'll allow myself a nibble of cucumber, celery, seaweed if I feel like it. I'll give it a week: if I lose weight, I'll keep going; if I gain or I don't lose a significant amount, I'll start counting calories and/or cut out dairy. I'm not worried about energy levels - I always feel fantastic on zero carbs.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #49
Garrett Smith

Gittit,
Make sure to get some source of good bacteria coming in ASAP (probiotics or cultured food) during and after the antibiotics.

You may not be leaving enough in the tank if your subsequent day's workout is still suffering.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #50
Gittit Shwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Gittit,
Make sure to get some source of good bacteria coming in ASAP (probiotics or cultured food) during and after the antibiotics.
Absolutely. Taking plenty of probiotics - I haven't had too much trouble.

Quote:
You may not be leaving enough in the tank if your subsequent day's workout is still suffering.
I can't think of any other reason... Although it felt good as I was doing it.

Thanks for the input!