Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
David Mathews

Default sumo deadlift

I was moving some heavy stuff recently and pretty much without exception would use a sumo deadlift type action each time as opposed to a regular deadlift motion. It seems a more functional/natural move. It seems that it might be more beneficial (maybe even a little safer and easier to teach) to train these in place of or alternated with regular deadlifts,assuming you are not in competition.What do you think?
David Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

David,
I alternate between sumo and conventional stance deadlifts. I normally train deads on my third workout of the week after I've done my dynamic movements (- day 1 is tall snatches, day 2 is cleans, day 3 is event training, day 4 is drop snatch/power snatch/ then squat+snatch grip push press then I deadlift). I alternate the stances I move the percentages around from week to week, workout to workout.

I've found that I can rep more sumo, but pull more (absolutely) conventional. However, that gap has narrowed this past year. I can still out rep with sumo and the absolute gap (estimated) has narrowed substantially. I write that off to getting into the dynamic speed movements.

don't know if that helps?

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Each has it's own benefit...although if you were trying to lift a big rock...you would probably stradle it and pick it up....not too many things in nature come in a state where you have a long bar with weights on the end. My vote is Sumo is more realistic but also reg DL strengthens more lower back. Also the classic DL develops the form for more explosive lifts like snatch and clean. (I am no PL but aren't competition lifts for PL sumo style anyways?)
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
David Mathews

Arden,
I was under the impression most people can sumo DL more than they can conv. DL.

Mike,
Good point on the carryover to the clean and snatch.However in regards to the xfit style high rep deadlift workouts amongst the general populace wouldn't it be safer. It seems a lot of people are getting into the xfit thing and without paying their dues(i.e. learning the fundamentals,good form) hurting themselves, especially on the deadlift workouts at high reps and too much weight chasing the ever elusive "as RX'd".But then I guess this would simply be treating the sympton,not the problem huh!
David Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

I you have people dedicated to wanting to really know how to do a DL and are patient enough to learn form....then the reg DL is fine. For a group workout where you have new people every month coming in to get in shape and could care less about form, sumo is safer. Depends on the people walking in the door or what kind of program you want to run.

In the end if you are doing group workouts then other things like KB swings or 1 arm DB exercises would better apply.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
Arden,
I was under the impression most people can sumo DL more than they can conv. DL.

!
David,
Not necessarily true. Everyone's different depending upon their levers. A lot has to do with torso to arm length.

I know for me, up until recently I honestly believed that my conventional was a good 70 to 80 pounds more than my sumo. However, I could take a serious weight and bang out 10 sumo, but barely get 6 to 8 conventional.

In essence, we're all different.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote