Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #21
Billy_Brummel

Robb,

Lionel Ritchie? Who's he?

That's my senior portrait from high school.
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #22
Mike ODonnell

Steve, you posted (someone show me how to do that cool blue indentation for quoting):

"Monday: bench/ballistic push ups
Tuesday: squat/jumps with dumbbells
Wednesday: off
Thursday: overhead standing press/fast dumbbell presses
Friday: power clean/snatch pulls from hang"

Now I assume this is coming from a pure strength based cycle? Now if size and strength were your goal, does this have enough volume to enduce size? Or would the rep scheme be changed for size and strength cycles?

I remember hearing about something like this years ago...but never put an effort into doing. Might be an interesting cycle to add.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #23
Steve Shafley

I don't know if it's the best way to approach training for size, but the volume was there:

I would typically try to do 3 waves.

Like for bench:

Warm up: 45x10, 135x10, 185x10
Wave 1: 225x8, 245x5, 275x3
Wave 2: 275x5, 295x3, 315x2
Wave 3: 315x3, 335x2, 355x1

And do ~ 5 explosive push ups in between each set.

That's some fairly concentrated loading on the supporting musculature for that movement.

This gets done quick. I wouldn't completely rest in between sets, and moved quickly.

Like I mentioned above...this is for someone who knows what they are doing and has a bit of experience. I feel this way because I just don't think beginners can get as much out of a set as an experienced lifter.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #24
Steve Shafley

There are also levels of ballistic push ups.

I really got a lot out of push-up depth drops, where I would drop off boxes about 8" high and reverse direction and hop back up on the boxes as quickly as I could. This did have more impact on the shoulders though.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #25
Dave Van Skike

Default OLAD Rep/Set progression

Steve, Dan et al.

Question: In and OLAD program with body comp goals, would you look to increasing volume or load week to week or possibly both? I'm looking for advice on total number of sets/reps week to week.

Background:
I just started a OLAD (trademark DJ) program. I am on cal/carb restricted diet and have had good success with it so far. I'm transitioning from a pure strength program (9 or so sets, heavy with lots of rest. two sessions per day) to more of a strength/gpp-ish program. The last program worked well with low Kcals. and the two a days kept overall volume high.

Based on some of your prior writing on the subject, I thought to try the OLAD, albeit tailored to my schedule and capacity.

I'm trying a rep/set progression I haven't used before, essentially 8/6/4 in week one, 6/4/2 in week two and 3/2/1 in week three. I'm huge fan of low rep ladders, 1/2/3, 1/2/3, 1/2/3 so I figure to do the opposite of what has been comfortable for me.

Template so far is: 12+ sets per day, weight goes up each set.

Mon: Squat-

3 sets each of OHS, FS, BS and 1/4 Squat/Jumps.

Tues: OH press-

Same as above. Each set taken from the floor with a clean. Military press, Push press, Push jerk, Jerk, finish with press outs.

Wed: Deadlifts

Single leg DL, Clean grip DL, Regular Grip-wider stance, Pulls from rack.

Thurs: off

Friday: Metcon with KB complexes and sandbags (harder)

Saturday: Metcon with BB. Basically complexes of squat, clean and press and Deadlifts (easier and for speed)

Sunday off.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #26
Danny John

I wrote a bunch of stuff, then erased it. Try it...let us know. I'm not sure about mixing this stuff...in fact, the OLAD alone should bury you...
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #27
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post
I wrote a bunch of stuff, then erased it. Try it...let us know. I'm not sure about mixing this stuff...in fact, the OLAD alone should bury you...
Thanks Dan. Today is day One. So far.... I feel buried-ish. Reps over 5 just leave me beat.

I'll post back on Saturday.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #28
Dave Van Skike

Default First Check in.

Week one of OLAD+Metcon experiment nearly complete.

Tomorrow AM is a metcon day. Burpees and pull-ups are on the docket. At this point I am totally smoked. Dan is right, OLAD alone is pretty brutal if you do it right. I'm not even sure I'm doing it right and it's beating me up. Hopefully next week will be better.

Observations:

As far as dieting while doing this, my take is forget it. All the appetite suppressing goodness that I get from short metcon sessions is out the window and I'm ravenous. Maybe that means it works for fat loss but so far, it's been tougher to control appetite. I'm eating very clean at about 2500 Kcal per day.

Another factor is that I'm using a timer to keep rest at 50-70 seconds max between sets and I'm out of the gym in under an 45 minutes. Also, I've been using a rep range this week that is a little higher than usual for me (sets of 8,6,4). Both these add up to individual sessions that are kind of painful, more like a hypertrophy type of thing.

Monday: Squat day

AM: 12 sets, bar weight goes up each set, OHS, FS, Back squats and 1/4 squats in a wide stance

PM: jump rope, recovery no Metcon, JS band assisted stretching, mobility

Tuesday: Overhead presses

AM 12 sets, same as above
Military, Push press, Push jerk, Jerk, lockouts
PM: jump rope, JS band assited stretching, mobility work. dynamic DB presses light

Wednesday: Metcon:

AM off,
PM. Tabata heavy bag, (knees+ elbows.) 8 minutes total, then jump rope cool down

Thursday: Low pull

AM Deadlifts: 10 sets, same as above: Single leg DL, snatch grip, clean grip,

PM, 3 sets heavy rack pulls from below knee

Friday:High pull

AM none
PM, 12 sets, samesame, DB power cleans from hang, BB Power cleans from hang, hang squat cleans, hi pulls from rack.

Last edited by Dave Van Skike : 12-15-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: words were wrongish
Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #29
Danny John

I'm waiting for the updates here. Rarely could my athletes get out of bed...much less train...after the "real" squat day.

Seven sets of five. Max squat on the bar...three damn good spotters. Go "down" under control. Try coming up, spotters pull your butt up. That is one. Do five.
End of five: step back and try to jump up and touch ceiling ten times.

Five minute rest. Repeat for a total of seven sets. Paul Northway did this (age 16-17) with a first set of 405. Far too heavy. Then, 315. 225 on third. 135 on fourth. His feet didn't clear the floor after the third set on his jumps. Sore for over a week...

That, my friends, is OLAD.
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 AM   #30
Allen Yeh

OLAD is like many workouts a lot harder in real life than it looks like on paper.....This workout kicked my butt.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote