Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #31
Danny John

Honestly, Allen...every workout I list is harder in life than on paper. That is what always cracks me up when I get emails like "If Tabata Front squats are so good, why don't you do them every day."

Try it with 65 pounds and get 8 on every set at least. Call me the next time you think you want to do it...
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #32
Billy_Brummel

Dan,

Just got home from 6x3 DL morning. I'm seriously feeling it.

And now I realize the topic of this whole posting was a moot point. No met con needed. I'm a believer in OLAD.

Squats are Thursday. However, I only have access to a crummy Smith machine, so I use the plate racks on it as a squat rack. No spotters either. But I will throw in the VJ's in between sets.

Do you happen to know Tony Ciarelli?
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #33
Danny John

Just the name...why?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #34
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post
Honestly, Allen...every workout I list is harder in life than on paper. That is what always cracks me up when I get emails like "If Tabata Front squats are so good, why don't you do them every day."

Try it with 65 pounds and get 8 on every set at least. Call me the next time you think you want to do it...
I actually tried it at least(tabata front squats) and now everytime I think about trying it again I conveniently come up with some excuse in which I need to be able to move my legs around like walking for example!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #35
Billy_Brummel

Dan,

He's a HS football/throws coach near me and I was gonna try to contact him and see about sneaking into his weight room. Thought I'd try and associate myself with people he knew so as to show my trustworthiness.

Thanks
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #36
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Brummel View Post
And now I realize the topic of this whole posting was a moot point. No met con needed. I'm a believer in OLAD.
Bingo.....Yatzee....and "You sank my Battleship!" Fat loss is more hormonally and nutritionally driven. Big heavy (& explosive) compound movements take care of that for you.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #37
Dave Van Skike

Another update for me on this:

Yesterday was squats again, my lifts had all gone down from the week before. Granted, I'm a beginner in most respects but my back squat was lower than my front squat. When I tried to add jumps as described by DJ above, almost lost my lunch. Very difficult to complete to session and to walk. Lots of reasons for that. Partly the neg. Kcal balance partly accumulated fatigue I think. Or it's just freaking brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Bingo.....Yatzee....and "You sank my Battleship!" Fat loss is more hormonally and nutritionally driven. Big heavy (& explosive) compound movements take care of that for you.

On the original question, the Jury is still out for me. I don't disagree on the nutritional and hormonal part. The real question is which templates for "big and explosive." So far, OLAD is way too hard to add metcon to. Maybe as a spice but not a side dish. And, the recovery is so long it may not be effective in a neg. kcal balance. So, big yes. effective for fatloss? Not sure. Add metcon? Oh Hell No.

For me, the best template for fat loss has been really tight diet, 8-9 hours of sleep and the good ole 6 day a week 5x5 program, with simple big lifts and lots of NEPA.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #38
Danny John

This is nice. Finally, somebody tried to mix the OLAD and this "other stuff" and I sat here encouraging this all the way...

Knowing it can't actually happen. What drives me to drink (thank God for you all) is this idea that doing pushups mixed with something else is like squatting 405 for seven sets of five....each set followed by jumping. The metabolic hit is beyond belief in an honest OLAD program. You simply can't drum up the ability to do "one more thing." Yes, I know that snatching PVC for 30 reps in a minute is exhausting...but when I used to Power Snatch 225 for 35 reps in this workout PLUS the quick whip snatches with 95 for a total of 70ish reps...the hit was unbelieveable. AND, it was the five minute rest that killed me. I took long enough to recover so I could go hard again.

Ah...science.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #39
Dave Van Skike

Default Do not try to bend the spoon..Only realize.... there is no spoon.

I now grok this thread...........The OLAD IS the metcon......

you are conditioning your (metabolism) self to reboot for another massive dose of tension. No wonder I'm sweating for two hours after.

Quote:
This is nice. Finally, somebody tried to mix the OLAD and this "other stuff" and I sat here encouraging this all the way...

Knowing it can't actually happen. What drives me to drink (thank God for you all) is this idea that doing pushups mixed with something else is like squatting 405 for seven sets of five....each set followed by jumping. The metabolic hit is beyond belief in an honest OLAD program. You simply can't drum up the ability to do "one more thing." Yes, I know that snatching PVC for 30 reps in a minute is exhausting...but when I used to Power Snatch 225 for 35 reps in this workout PLUS the quick whip snatches with 95 for a total of 70ish reps...the hit was unbelieveable. AND, it was the five minute rest that killed me. I took long enough to recover so I could go hard again.

Ah...science.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #40
Ron Nelson

Default Maybe not

Quote:
I'm waiting for the updates here. Rarely could my athletes get out of bed...much less train...after the "real" squat day.

Seven sets of five. Max squat on the bar...three damn good spotters. Go "down" under control. Try coming up, spotters pull your butt up. That is one. Do five.
End of five: step back and try to jump up and touch ceiling ten times.

Five minute rest. Repeat for a total of seven sets. Paul Northway did this (age 16-17) with a first set of 405. Far too heavy. Then, 315. 225 on third. 135 on fourth. His feet didn't clear the floor after the third set on his jumps. Sore for over a week...

That, my friends, is OLAD.
OK, so I was going to ask if Cosgrove's strength routines from "The New Rules" could be considered OLAD (that's a trademark, the workout is actually copyrighted 2006). Example: Squat day; sets of 6-1-6-1-10-15 followed by supersetting Bulgarian split squats and step ups, followed by back extensions and Swiss ball crunches.

I would think that the max rep squat work followed by the supersets is very OLAD-like if not outright OLAD. Then I read the above post from the founder of the OLAD Institute and figured I would be somewhat off the mark. I will say this, following the Cosgrove plan seems to be leading to fat loss due to the gain of muscle and strength. I'm only on the second week of each workout, so it is too early to tell if I'm right.

If I ever get the balls to do a true OLAD, I'll let you know.

Oh, I've done EDT and liked it very much. Problem is, I'm horrible at writing things down while my chest is heaving and my lungs are searing.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote