Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #41
Ron Nelson

Oh, and is if I needed metcon on the off days; I coach soccer. Try doing drills with the kids and not sprint. Yeeouch.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #42
Dave Van Skike

I'm sure the sultan of OLAD will chime in but I'll offer my insight which is that I started this program with the intetion of doing just that. Overhead squat follwed by front squats followed by bvack sqauts followed by a wider powerliftign stance ...

Short answer. For me..not so good.

Gotta say, I'd prefer to warm up and then do one heavy set after another of of say front squats, my curretn fave or jsut overhead squats or just deadlifts. Coudl be my inexperience, but I lose my groove pretty quickly moving between differn movements as the laod reaches 80%+. Especially with stuff like squats and deads.

Maybe something like Shafley's recently posted couplet of front and back squats would work but it's difficult to express how hard this stuff is if you really stick to prescribed rest periods and keep the load high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
OK, so I was going to ask if Cosgrove's strength routines from "The New Rules" could be considered OLAD (that's a trademark, the workout is actually copyrighted 2006). Example: Squat day; sets of 6-1-6-1-10-15 followed by supersetting Bulgarian split squats and step ups, followed by back extensions and Swiss ball crunches.

I would think that the max rep squat work followed by the supersets is very OLAD-like if not outright OLAD. Then I read the above post from the founder of the OLAD Institute and figured I would be somewhat off the mark. I will say this, following the Cosgrove plan seems to be leading to fat loss due to the gain of muscle and strength. I'm only on the second week of each workout, so it is too early to tell if I'm right.

If I ever get the balls to do a true OLAD, I'll let you know.

Oh, I've done EDT and liked it very much. Problem is, I'm horrible at writing things down while my chest is heaving and my lungs are searing.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #43
Billy_Brummel

Dave,

Sounds like you may have missed something when it comes to OLAD. The intention is for you to do one version of one exercise a day. The original version does not involve any kind of stance changes, etc. That may make things a little more manageable for you.

Dan,

I want to make clear that I didn't post this thread with the thought that OLAD was inadequate or not-hard-enough. I was looking at it from the standpoint of an intermediate lifter who is not able to move the volume that lifters such as yourself are capable of moving in a single session and I thought I would have to compensate for that lack of volume with another component. I now know that OLAD has proven sufficient by all counts.

Last edited by Billy_Brummel : 12-19-2006 at 02:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #44
Dave Van Skike

No misunderstanding, just a previously published variation on a theme.

"Day Three

An interesting squat variation that a few of us have been kicking around might help the strongman. Start off with a light squat exercise. So, do overhead squats. As the weight gets hard to manage, do front squats. Too heavy? Move to back squats" Finally, finish with some quarter squats or even a heavy loaded squat support. Try it. Think about fifteen to twenty sets with the weight on the bar going up each set. You're done. Go home."

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-123-training

Shafley seems to like this one as well.

"My other squat workout this week was OHS to FS to BS with a rising bar. That was fun too."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Brummel View Post
Dave,

Sounds like you may have missed something when it comes to OLAD. The intention is for you to do one version of one exercise a day. The original version does not involve any kind of stance changes, etc. That may make things a little more manageable for you.

Dan,

I want to make clear that I didn't post this thread with the thought that OLAD was inadequate or not-hard-enough. I was looking at it from the standpoint of an intermediate lifter who is not able to move the volume that lifters such as yourself are capable of moving in a single session and I thought I would have to compensate for that lack of volume with another component. I now know that OLAD has proven sufficient by all counts.

Last edited by Dave Van Skike : 12-19-2006 at 05:53 PM. Reason: words
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #45
Jamila Bey

I know better than to try this with squats... I'm planning to walk later.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #46
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamila Bey View Post
I know better than to try this with squats... I'm planning to walk later.
psst...Tabata front squats with 95 pounds is too heavy!

Not that I thought it was too light or anything when I was looking it at the bar or anything....
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 AM   #47
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nelson View Post
OK, so I was going to ask if Cosgrove's strength routines from "The New Rules" could be considered OLAD (that's a trademark, the workout is actually copyrighted 2006). Example: Squat day; sets of 6-1-6-1-10-15 followed by supersetting Bulgarian split squats and step ups, followed by back extensions and Swiss ball crunches.

I would think that the max rep squat work followed by the supersets is very OLAD-like if not outright OLAD. Then I read the above post from the founder of the OLAD Institute and figured I would be somewhat off the mark. I will say this, following the Cosgrove plan seems to be leading to fat loss due to the gain of muscle and strength. I'm only on the second week of each workout, so it is too early to tell if I'm right.

If I ever get the balls to do a true OLAD, I'll let you know.

Oh, I've done EDT and liked it very much. Problem is, I'm horrible at writing things down while my chest is heaving and my lungs are searing.
Ron,
I've done the OLAD for a month and I'm currently on week 4 of the strength I of the New Rules of Lifting book. I would say it's not similiar at least not in phase I. I'm making myself stick with the workouts in The New Rules of Lifting because I have a notorious past of training ADD! haha.

Want to throw up a New Rules of Lifting Thread in one of the other categories so we can kind of compare?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #48
Ron Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Ron,
I've done the OLAD for a month and I'm currently on week 4 of the strength I of the New Rules of Lifting book. I would say it's not similiar at least not in phase I. I'm making myself stick with the workouts in The New Rules of Lifting because I have a notorious past of training ADD! haha.

Want to throw up a New Rules of Lifting Thread in one of the other categories so we can kind of compare?
Alan,
We're on the same page. I just did the DL day for the second time last night with mixed results (not enough sleep and diet has been crap). I want to finish phase one and then start in on the thread.

I, too, suffer from training ADD. That's why CF was so easy. Go to site, get WOD, post, repeat. Tried the WSP from T-Nation, twice. Never finished. As Dan would say, and I paraphrase, "It was working, so I stopped." For the "New Rules," I have vowed to see the strength program out through all 3 phases and then trying Afterburn.

We'll see how that goes.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #49
Dave Van Skike

Second week observations.

two workouts a day, very bad. order of days very important for things like walking and holding up coffe cups.

ergo.

Monday Squat.
Tuesday Cleans
Wed. rest
Thursday Overhead press
Friday Deadlift.
Sa. sleep
Su. Sleep more

also, a good chaser for heavy reps seems to addding soem back off sets of very quick light lifts concentrating purely on bar speed, for recovery more than anything.

With the squat day this was holding bottom postion on overhead squat with just bar and then snapping off sets of 10-12

for cleans I used quick high pulls with a little weight.
today on OH presses, I added whip snatches and fast DB push presses for several back off sets. again, very light and very quick.

So far DOMS is reduced a little bit and I feel slighlty less crippled thorughout the day. Still super hungry. Again, not mixing well with diet for me but I am down another couple pounds this week over last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post
This is nice. Finally, somebody tried to mix the OLAD and this "other stuff" and I sat here encouraging this all the way...

Ah...science.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #50
Dave Van Skike

Default OLAD plus metcon wrap up.

OK, for anyone following this experiment here's the wrap up.

OLAD is brutal. I enjoyed it and will use it again with the same or similar lift progression as above. Key was adding weight to the bar each set and keeping the rest periods under 90 seconds, closer to a minute.

On week three, I got two tabata sessions: one on the erg. one on the heavy bag. These session were a little easier to handle than weeks one and two, where I could get virtually no metcon in.

My take is that OLAD with short rest periods is too demanding to add metcon to. Maybe with longer rest periods and surplus calories this could be done. My experience is that OLAD is not a good program for fat loss in and of itself. That said, it definitely helped my form on all the lifts.. I hit a PR triple and PR single in week three with dead lifts. I got a PR triple in front squat on week two.

Total weight loss for the four weeks with a mild caloric deficit was two pounds. Not stellar results but the program was worth it to get PR's in two pet lifts.

Time to switch to a new program more conducive to caloric deficit. Probably 5x5x5 with steady influx of walking and cycling.