Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
kevin mckay

Default How Frequency Of Meals May Affect Health

Saw this and was surprised at how divergent the data was to everything I had previously heard.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0307084626.htm

The first study analysis showed that consuming a one-meal-per-day diet, rather than a traditional three-meal-per-day diet, is feasible for a short duration. It showed that when the volunteers were "one-mealers," they had significant increases in total cholesterol, LDL "bad" cholesterol and in blood pressure, compared to when they were "three-mealers."

The changes in cardiovascular disease risk factors occurred despite the fact that the one- mealers saw slight decreases in their weight and fat mass in comparison to when they were three-mealers. Those findings were published in the April 2007 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Further analysis of the study group showed that when the volunteers were one-mealers, they had higher morning fasting blood sugar levels, higher and more sustained elevations in blood sugar concentrations, and a delayed response to the body's insulin, compared to when they were "three-mealers." Insulin is required to lower blood sugar levels. Those findings were published in the December 2007 issue of Metabolism.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

That's the old Mattson study. Nothing really shocking there....as eating a ton of food in one sitting is never good...and they don't say but it's been reported that it was heavy on the carbs. So a "carb bomb" once a day is a dumb idea. People who want to debunk IF use this all the time....but it's a study showing why eating a boat load of cal high in carbs once a day for 8 straight weeks is bad. That's not IF in my book.

I think I covered it more in the comments section of this post as we were talking about Dr Eades' latest IF article.
http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...-ferris-on-if/

So take home lesson....if you do IF....eat less carbs and more frequent meals. Nothing new to people here...but for the general population who eat junk already probably an important lesson as many might see IF a free pass to eat whatever they want once a day.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Ari Kestler

Also, certain day IFing I make the mistake of gorging myself that first meal. Big mistake. Very uncomfortable for the next 3-4 hours and my 2nd meal is normally not as big and I only get 2 meals in. On good days, I eat a small meal (can of sardines) and an hour later if I have the same size meal, it isn't as uncomfortable, most times though, I end up having a more normal sized meal since I'm not in the mindset of FEED FEED FEED....I just need to keep telling myself, ok, don't gorge...gorge an hour later...unfortunately most times it's dictated by time and scheduling convenience...probably where longer fasts and more intermittent aspects of IF come into play....
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

The only time gorging on food ever works out....is if it is protein and veggies....overloading on fat or carbs is just too much for most people. (calorie wise and blood sugar wise) The only time I ever feel sick to my stomach is after big meals higher in carbs.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Ari Kestler

hmm...I ate 2 cans of WAS, 2 large avocados, 2 TBSP of EVOO (it was all mixed in with spices) and 2 "bushels" of broccolini today for lunch and I felt like I was going to explode...the feeling only recently went away....so obviously I'm eating a can of sardines now...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Yup, unfortunately there is no way to completely gorge yourself and remain healthy.

I find that a lot of people go for the Fast-5/Warrior Diet style out of convenience. No time is required to prepare or eat meals during the days and one can enjoy as much food as desired at night. Convenient, enjoyable, and unhealthy!

The main reason why anyone would see benefits with this particular style of IF is due to CR. It's hard to get in enough calories in one large meal per day (believe me, I've tried). The dieter perceives there intake to be higher that what it really is because a full day of calories is consumed in such a small time frame.

I think the fast-5/Warrior styles could be effective when used in overweight subject since it promotes calorie restriction. That's fine by me as long as the dieter is aware of the fact that the reason they are benefiting from the approach is calorie restriction, not some magical metabolic advantage. Anyone who says otherwise probably has an agenda.

For those of us who are already lean and healthy an approach like this is likely to not only to be proven useless, but rather detrimental to health. Art D's is ideal IMHO.

If anyone does go for this approach it should be overweight folks, and it should only be used for however long it takes to get down to a lean body comp., then switching to a less restrictive approach.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post
Yup, unfortunately there is no way to completely gorge yourself and remain healthy.

I find that a lot of people go for the Fast-5/Warrior Diet style out of convenience. No time is required to prepare or eat meals during the days and one can enjoy as much food as desired at night. Convenient, enjoyable, and unhealthy!

The main reason why anyone would see benefits with this particular style of IF is due to CR. It's hard to get in enough calories in one large meal per day (believe me, I've tried). The dieter perceives there intake to be higher that what it really is because a full day of calories is consumed in such a small time frame.

I think the fast-5/Warrior styles could be effective when used in overweight subject since it promotes calorie restriction. That's fine by me as long as the dieter is aware of the fact that the reason they are benefiting from the approach is calorie restriction, not some magical metabolic advantage. Anyone who says otherwise probably has an agenda.

For those of us who are already lean and healthy an approach like this is likely to not only to be proven useless, but rather detrimental to health. Art D's is ideal IMHO.

If anyone does go for this approach it should be overweight folks, and it should only be used for however long it takes to get down to a lean body comp., then switching to a less restrictive approach.
That was the issue I first had when I tried the IF approach for the first time. Working night shift 12 hours and not having time to prepare meals I fit everything into one meal andthe end result was so much mscle mass and weight lostthat it was unhealthy. Too many carbs in the meal and not enough protein.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
David Culmone

There's been a couple posts as of late which dismiss eating 1x/day as not a good idea. There's also some insightful research about how our ancestors gorged themselves after a kill. These 2 suggestions seem a bit contradictory.

If we have one daily lowcarb/paleolithic meal of reasonable quantity then what is the main concern here?
Do you think it overloads the digestive tract...or perhaps the huge rush of nutrients into the bloodstream is difficult to handle?
David Culmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

The body takes a long time to digest protein...so a boat load of protein will be digested over 4-6 hours. It's the carbs that mess it all up. It's hard to get a "whole days worth of calories" into a meal with just protein. Hence the study above was loaded with carbs....and the results was not good. I am sure anyone can maintain muscle with a huge protein meal once a day, but that is not going to really support an active lifestyle as well. Paleo man layed around for a day after eating a boat load of meat, most people don't have that luxery in modern day fast paced society. Paleo man also could of snacked during the day with nuts, seeds and fruits....so really he wasn't just doing 1 meal a day at times.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #10
David Culmone

Thanks for the response, Mike. You have a good point, and I agree that he wasn't always eating just once per day. However there may be more fat in animal flesh than you're giving credit for...those guys at the whole carcass, not just the lean muscle.

But let's jump to the present for a moment, if we can. My question is: if we exclude carbs from the large daily meal, keep the fat/protein ratio to say 70/30, and don't over-eat then what are the negative health implications? Do you think it overloads the digestive tract, or perhaps the huge rush of nutrients into the bloodstream is difficult for the body to handle all at once?
David Culmone is offline   Reply With Quote