Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Overweight people eat fat before workout?

Quote:
Max Lafontan and colleagues investigated how fat is broken down in both lean and obese subjects who exercised after either fasting or eating a high-fat diet. They noticed that after eating a high-fat diet, fats were broken down in both lean and obese individuals. Under fasting conditions, the breakdown of fats was more pronounced in the lean subjects, but the high fat meal enhanced lipolysis in the obese subjects.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917144905.htm
Old 03-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
sarena kopciel

So that explains it!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

This may reinforce the coconut oil book "Eat Fat, Look Thin" theory.

I wonder what the researchers considered "fasting".

I like this part:
Quote:
These results show for the first time how a high fat diet and exercise stimulate the breakdown of fats and may help design ways to reduce excessive fat in the body.
"So, class, based on this brand new information, how could we design a way to reduce excessive fat in the body?"

[raises hand, shaking it wildly]Ooooh, ooooh, I know! I know! Um, have people eat a low-carb, relatively high fat diet and exercise???
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
This may reinforce the coconut oil book "Eat Fat, Look Thin" theory.

I wonder what the researchers considered "fasting".

I like this part:

"So, class, based on this brand new information, how could we design a way to reduce excessive fat in the body?"

[raises hand, shaking it wildly]Ooooh, ooooh, I know! I know! Um, have people eat a low-carb, relatively high fat diet and exercise???
Funny you mention that book Dr G. I just "found" it on my bookshelf 2 weeks ago. I must have been looking for some quick fix years ago when I was still obese!! What are your thoughts on it as I just read it?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

eating fat also helps you live longer (did this on the blog today)

Quote:
Using a mouse model of longevity, Terry Combs and colleagues report that changes in metabolism can indeed increase longevity. They demonstrated that long-lived Snell dwarf mice burn less glucose and more fatty acids during periods of fasting, and as a result produce fewer free radicals.

The key to this switch may be adiponectin, a hormone produced by fat cells that helps lower glucose production and stimulates cells to use fat for energy instead. The researchers found that Snell mice had three times as much adiponectin in their blood as control mice; Snell mice also had fewer triglycerides in their cells, indicative of higher fat metabolism.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1121162443.htm

What I found interesting in the above study is giving obese people fat right before a workout to burn more fat....maybe it is along the thinking lines of obese people don't know how to efficiently burn fat (more carb metabolism) so preworkout fat signals more adaptation to a fat burning metabolism. Also would explain why lean people didn't need that stimulus as they probably already had a decent fat burning metabolism.

So....fat burning metabolism = long life and looking good...now where's my butter on a stick?