Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Default Arden's lets get not so fat log.

Kata w4 wo1

Did yoga, roller, and Corrigon warm up.

Then did High Block Power snatches. I did the Drill followed by drop snatches for warm ups. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6. Then did 155 for six sets of 3.

Then did Overhead Squats 155 for six sets of 3.

Then did Snatch Pulls 135x5, 205x5, 255x 5 sets of 3.

Then did abs.

Did a bunch of rolling and yoga

Small contest in Pickens WV. Did well. Bradhsaw and I sawed well. Kristy and I sawed okay. I didn't chop very well, but that's cool. I hotsawed well.

Here's some links for the comp footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-WUxw6RWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5gRNfhkB0

3.16.08 Kristy flew out to Sydney. Miss her bad.

Did Kata w4 wo2

Started out with Yoga, roller, and Corrigon warm up.

Then did Cleans. All warm ups were in the Drill/complex format (power clean, hang squat clean, squat clean). Did 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3

Then did work sets of 235 for 5 sets of 4. Tired to do two squat cleans and two power cleans in each set. This wasn't easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLlcUJ1lIU

After that did push press: 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 240 for five sets of 3.

Then did front squats 205x3, 275 for five sets of 3.

Then did abs.

Went home and passed out. That was a brutal workout.

3.17.08 - worn out. Long day at work (15 billable hours). Didn't do anything.

3.18.08 - got up early went to the gym around 6ish.

kata w4 wo 4.

Started out with roller, yoga, and corrigon warm up.

Then did Snatch Drill plus Snatch Balances. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFyriT3HwLY

After that did power snatches 165x1, Then 185x5 sets of 2. I had no speed today with the 185. I put one rep on the tail end of the above video. Just couldn't pull it fast. Need to remember to jump and rip.

After that, I did squat snatch grip push press. Did 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, then did 255 for 5 sets of 2. The final set is on the tail end of the above video.

Then did clean grip rack pulls from 2" below knee. 135x5, 245x5, 335x5, 425x5, 515x3, 335x 2 sets of 5.

Then did abs.

When I got home I did a tone of event training. Here's some of the footage. I guess I had about 500 hits on the Underhand, about 50 hits in the tree, 60 hits in the standing, and 35 strokes in the single. I did a bunch of stock saw stuff too. But I didn't record it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGWrew8tICg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q8G1RiDF1Q

I'm tired.....
and I miss my wife.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

Welcome to the training logs. That is one hell of a first entry. Is your wife competing in Sydney?

Was that your dad and mom in the videos also? If so your dad can still wield an axe very well. My kids and I loved it when your wife yelled look at Granny go.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Welcome to the training logs. That is one hell of a first entry. Is your wife competing in Sydney?

Was that your dad and mom in the videos also? If so your dad can still wield an axe very well. My kids and I loved it when your wife yelled look at Granny go.
Derek,
Yep, my wife is competing at the Royal Easter Show at Sydney. She's a member of the Women's National Lumberjack Team. Teams from Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand are competing against one another in Team Competition. She's one of the Single Hand sawyers (One person crosscut). I miss her bad.

That was my mother and father. My mother is 72 and my father is 73. It's the thing I love about our sport. We can do it competently for a very long time. My father won his last world title when he was 55 and was a finalist in the ESPN series at 60. I'm 37, so I reckon I've got a good 20 years of hard core competition left (at a championship level). Normally, in my sport, the prime years are between 35 and 50.

I've found with increased fitness and agility (basicly working harder to "turn back the clock.") the events get easier. So I'm looking forward to the long term nature of fitness. It's one of the reasons I moved away from powerlifting/bodybuilding and have moved my focus to a xfit hybrid workout.

Slowly, I'll get less chubby. I'm already down 25 pounds to what I was four years ago. Goal is 240 by the time I'm 40. I'm at 255 right now. I hope to be 250 by the time my season really starts (end of May).

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

That is awesome about your parents.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Arden, are those 240 push presses in pounds or kilos? Since it's you, I have to ask.

Glad you have a log here.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Slowly, I'll get less chubby. I'm already down 25 pounds to what I was four years ago. Goal is 240 by the time I'm 40. I'm at 255 right now. I hope to be 250 by the time my season really starts (end of May).

All the best,
Arden
Once you know your competitive schedule you will have to post the locations. The kids and I would love to come to one of the events if it is close enough.

Based on the way you are training and a little clean eating you should easily reach your 240 goal.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Arden, are those 240 push presses in pounds or kilos? Since it's you, I have to ask.

Glad you have a log here.
That made me laugh out loud. :-D

240lbs.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Once you know your competitive schedule you will have to post the locations. The kids and I would love to come to one of the events if it is close enough.

Based on the way you are training and a little clean eating you should easily reach your 240 goal.
sure thing. The ESPN events are getting ready to air again soon. I'll post the times.

Clean eating is the key. I recently, at the insistence of Randy Hauer, have made some serious life changes in how I eat. Previously, I was eating about 10 meals/snacks a day (basicly 3 meals and 7 snacks) with some being all carb, all protein, etc. He's since had me balance out all these meals to equal calories consisting of similar ratios of protein/carb/fat.

Man it's been hard. But I can already tell a difference. Eating properly means more than anything when it comes to fitness.

All the best,
arden
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
That is awesome about your parents.
Thanks. They're great folk. I come from good stalk.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
Don Stevenson

Hey Arden,

Does your wife need a gym or anything to train at while she's in Sydney competing?

If so just let me know and i'll hook her up. Our O lift gym is about 400m from where the royal easter show is!

Don
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote