Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stevenson View Post
Hey Arden,

Does your wife need a gym or anything to train at while she's in Sydney competing?

If so just let me know and i'll hook her up. Our O lift gym is about 400m from where the royal easter show is!

Don
HOly Crap!!!

Don I'm going next year, so can my ugly fat arse visit? The last time we were in Sydney together, we went to Al's up at Bondi Junction. Complete hole, but had a wonderful atmosphere for bodybuilders/powerlifters.

I've evolved since then.......sorta. I think? At least there's less of me to cart around.

She's to call me tomorrow morning, I'll ask. She has the Jack & Jill World Championship today. The first "test' between US, Canada, NZ and Oz is tomorrow.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Don Stevenson

Hey Arden,

Our state weightlifting gym where I coach is in the same area as the Easter show and we've got tons of stuff there, 11 platforms, bumpers, dumbells up to 50kg, kettlebells, rings etc etc

We've also got another gym in the city which is more of a crossfit gym but same sort of deal with bumpers and tons of kettlebells.

Anytime you (or anyone else here for that matter!) is in Sydney just give us a buzz.

If your wife wants to contact me direct she can email me at fitness@octogen.com.au
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Hey Arden,

Our state weightlifting gym where I coach is in the same area as the Easter show and we've got tons of stuff there, 11 platforms, bumpers, dumbells up to 50kg, kettlebells, rings etc etc

We've also got another gym in the city which is more of a crossfit gym but same sort of deal with bumpers and tons of kettlebells.

Anytime you (or anyone else here for that matter!) is in Sydney just give us a buzz.

If your wife wants to contact me direct she can email me at fitness@octogen.com.au
Anyone else have that "it's a small world after all...." song float through their head? Ok maybe it's just me...well now you have it floating through your head.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
Arden Cogar Jr.

Don,
It's been one of my dreams the past six months since I started Oly lifting to train at a facility like the ones I see on the net. The ones with multiple platforms with lifters doing cleans/snatches/etc. Dale Saran showed one over at xfit last month and the footage from CA and Mike's Gym are awesome.

Thank you so much for your kindness. I will definitely take you up on a few sessions during next years Easter Show.

I talked to the wife and she commented that she has championship events every day for the next four days and is a bit too leery to get herself in the gym without me.

All the best,
Arden
Quote:
Hey Arden,

Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

3.19.08 rolled, did some yoga and tai chi. Didn't workout or event train. Really tired.

3.20.09 Thus far: kata w4 wo6 - 80%

This was a wicked tough workout. Started out with roller, yoga and Corrigon warm up.

Then started with Tall power cleans: Did 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 165x4, 185x1, then did 205 for 4 sets of 4.

Then did split jerks. Started with 45x2, 95x2, 135x2, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, then did 240x 4 sets of 2. Had to really focus to jump the weight up and get my second dip in and my head through the window. The last two sets were much faster than the first two. I would probably rule half the reps on the first two sets as press outs.

Then did front squats. Did 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x1, then did 295 for three sets of 2.

After that, didn't have a second 32kg kettlebell so I did machine presses. I honestly don't remember the top weight. Did three warm up sets then did 5 sets of 5 with the top weight.

After that, did some abs.

Doing a wood run soon. Then going home to event train. I'll post videos later tonight.

I'm choking back some fresh veggies and slamming a protein shake as I type this. i'm gonna get sorta not fat; I hope.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Derek Simonds

First off Allen that is totally uncalled for. You can not do a random drive by it's a small world ever to another group of men. Completely uncalled for. I am going to have to have at least 3 Don Julio shots just to get it out of my head.

Secondly, Arden don't make the vegetables sound so much like you are getting punished for something. "Choking Back"

Hopefully you will find some vegetables that you like.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
First off Allen that is totally uncalled for. You can not do a random drive by it's a small world ever to another group of men. Completely uncalled for. I am going to have to have at least 3 Don Julio shots just to get it out of my head.

Secondly, Arden don't make the vegetables sound so much like you are getting punished for something. "Choking Back"

Hopefully you will find some vegetables that you like.
Derek,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Learning to eat properly has been a real struggle for me over the years. The most recent change is driving me batty because I'm actually eating more volume but less calories. And I'm gassy as all get out.

I didn't event train last night or this morning. I tried, but yesterdays weight room session and the three hours I sawed, lifted, rolled, and tossed logs did me in. My heart rate stayed over 130 for about two hours and peaked at around 160 when I was carrying 200lb to 250lb logs up to 50 feet. Met Con at it's finest. Heavy Met Con at that. I would guess that a few of the logs weighed about 350 to 400 pounds. I didn't carry them, but I did toss them into the back of my truck. That was NOT easy by any stretch of the imagination. But, like anything, once you learn how to do it properly (the technique), it's much less impressive than it sounds.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #18
Arden Cogar Jr.

March 21 - rested. Week 4 was a heavy week and nearly did me in. Good stuff. I did do my yoga, tai chi, and made a roller out of hickory fire wood piece, one of my mother's towels, and some duct tape. She's a beauty. Still Missing the misses.

March 22 - event training with Chris Bradshaw, Brian Wamsley, Angie, Carmen and Matt Cogar. Didn't get any video footage. My father and I cut up a tree that morning and I rolled it out of the woods. Nothing like a wood run to make you humble. After that, the five of us did a bunch of underhand, stading, and two person xcut training. I would guess my volume on the underhand was close to 500 hits. I would also guess my volume on the standing was around 150 hits. Angie wanted to learn to saw, so we all took turns pulling with her and traded off. We cut two 26" pieces of 15" pine. Matt and Wamsley sawed really well together. Carmen (my 7 year old), made three cuts with me and used her axe on an underhand for a ton of hits.

Rolled a lot on my Holler Roller that night. Was feeling pretty Ratty. Missing the Misses real bad.

March 23 - Carmen woke me up demanding to go woodchop. I put her off until after we had breakfast. We went down and she beat on some logs and built some stuff with nails, hammer, and stove wood blocks. I put about 150 more hits into some underhands and made about 30 springboard holes.

Missing Kristy bad. When we got home, I cleaned while the girls did their thing.

March 24 - Kata Conversion week 1 workout 1.

Started with Roller, Yoga and Corrigon warm up.

Then into tall snatches. I did the Drill (power snatch, squat snatch, squat snatch from the blocks) as my warm up followed by 3 reps of drop snatches for six reps total on the warm up sets. Did 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6. Then my work sets were 145xfour sets of 2. Working on being fast. Had trouble dropping into the hole as my knee was still a bit creeky.

After that did Overhead Squats. Did 145 for 3 sets of 5. Pretty easy.

After that did Snatch Pulls. Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x3, 265x3, 275x3. Working on getting full extension and jumping with the weight then shrugging.

After that did a brutal ab workout. The hardest part was doing these pressing kettlebell slant board sit ups. They were brutal. Was going to do five sets, but could only manage 4. I'm writing it off to a technical change in my underhand.

Felt really crappy so I went home early from work. Missing the misses worse on this day. I went to bed around 5:00 p.m. and slept until the next morning.

March 25 - Kata event training. Brutal session. It was fun.

Did a ton of tree work. Some stock saw. Some standing. Some Underhand and one single.

I would guestimate my volume for the session at about 200 to 250 hits total. Only about 35 strokes on the single (one cut). made a lot of stock saw cuts.

Here's some snippets from the event training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB57HdA-a38

Did some foam roller afterwards and cleaned. This misses is coming home tomorrow!!!

March 26, 2008 -
Kata Conversion Workout 3 week 1. Good session.

Started out with Roller, yoga, and Corrigon Warmup.

Then started with cleans. I did the Drill/Matrix to warm up (power clean, hang squat clean, and squat clean). Did 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 205x3. My work sets were squat cleans of 225. I did 3 singles. It was easy. I loved it. Did 2 sets of 5 power cleans with 135 after that.

Then did push presses. 95x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x3, 205x3, Then did 225x 4 sets of 2. Cooled down with a set of strict militaries with 135 x 5.

After that did front squats. 135x5, 205x5, 255x three sets of 3.

AFter that, I just had to try some dead stop Overhead squats out of the rack. I used a clean grip. To it was like coming out of the hole with a deep power jerk. Not too bad. First rep was always the hardest. Did 45x5, 95x5, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 95x5. The funny thing I find from these is that I get some wicked pressure in my upper back. Had to roll a little bit to make it feel better. I'm sure it's going to be sore. Man those Chinese guys and gals that do these movements with a ton of weight are just incredible. I'm sure it's a learned thing, but man......I never had a full appreciation for coming out of the hole with a power jerk until I tried these.

After that did some abs, yoga and got to work early.

Misses is coming home in less than 12 hours. Can't wait. The kids and I are going swimming tonight and to watch Dr. Suess'es Horton movie. Should be great.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
Arden Cogar Jr.

March 27 - the wifey's home!!!! yeah!!! Didn't train at all.
March 28 - Drove to good friends house for a weekend of chopping. Studied videos at night, did some yoga and foam roller.
March 29 - ground some axes, did a ton of event training. I wouldn't have a clue on how many hits, strokes, etc. I made, but it was awesome. My guess is that I had about 200 hits on the standing, 200 hits on the tree, 150 strokes on the single, and a ton in the underhand. Really worked on a lot of technical changes.
March 30 - absolutely exhausted, but did some underhand training in the cold wind. made some board holes too.
March 31 - did nothing, but roll, yoga and tai chi. Spent about 4 hours at a car lot looking to buy something that gets more than 15 miles to the gallon.
April 1 - Kata w1 wo5 - 75% - good god. It was awesome.

Started out with Yoga, Roller, and then my Corrigon Warm up.

Then started with the Drill snatches (power snatch, hang squat snatch, then squat snatch) followed by three snatch balances. Did 45x6, 75x6, 95x6, 115x6, 135x6.

Then did 165 for three sets of 2 - most were about 1/2 squat snatches. I got one where I was all the way in the hole. Still not real sure of myself when I only pull the weight about shoulder height. But it's coming.

Then did Cleans and jerks. I did power clean and jerk, then a hang squat clean and jerk during my warm ups. All my jerks were power jerks because I'm changing my form after jarring my right knee last week and making it creeky.

Did 95x2, 115x2, 135x2, 165x2, 185x2, 205x2, then 225 for three singles.

After that I did pause high bar squats at very deep depth. Did 135x5, 205x5, 255x three sets of 2. I paused at the bottom for a 2 to 3 count on each rep then exploded out of the hole.

After that I did my Kata Cheat Meal set of sumo deadlifts. Did 135x5, 245x5, 335x5, 425x3, 515x10.

Then I did some power jerks from a dead stop from about nose height out of power cage. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 235x3 sets of 2. Then 185x5, 135x3 sets of 5. Finally made some sense out of why the Chinese lifters look down when they do their power jerks - it doesn't jack up your traps and rhomboids as much. A lot more efficient. I'm going to enjoy making these a part of my routine.

After that I did some abs and yoga.

It was great workout. I had a lot of fun.

Hope to have the new car tonight.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #20
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post

Then I did some power jerks from a dead stop from about nose height out of power cage. Did 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 235x3 sets of 2. Then 185x5, 135x3 sets of 5. Finally made some sense out of why the Chinese lifters look down when they do their power jerks - it doesn't jack up your traps and rhomboids as much. A lot more efficient. I'm going to enjoy making these a part of my routine.
Can you explain that looking down thing?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote