Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #21
Robb Wolf

Fasting will DEFENITELY decrease body temp. Scotty and i have noticed this for a long time. It's nice in the summer, hell in the winter. Shorten the fast periods as folks have recommended...make IF work for you, not against you! Basic paleo/zone eating to far too effective to introduce an undue amount of stress.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
Gittit Shwartz

I like to use seaweed in place of pasta - soak it and put meat sauce on top. The texture is close enough if you can ignore the smell of sea.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #23
Robb Wolf

Gettit! You are a WILDWOMAN!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
Jeremy Shepard

Has anyone noticed the opposite?

I tend to sweat a bit more during the fast, although I also get right at zero noticeable thermogenic effect from carbohydrate overfeeding.
Jeremy Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #25
Mike ODonnell

Interesting find on hypothyroidism and fasting:

Quote:
Dr. Ray Peat: The amount of glucose in liver cells regulates the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. This means that hypoglycemia or diabetes (in which glucose doesn't enter cells efficiently) will cause hypothyroidism, when T4 can't be converted into T3. When a person is fasting, at first the liver's glycogen stores will provide glucose to maintain T3 production. When the glycogen is depleted, the body resorts to the dissolution of tissue to provide energy. The mobilized fatty acids interfere with the use of glucose, and certain amino acids suppress the thyroid gland. Eating carbohydrate (especially fruits) can allow the liver to resume its production of T3.
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm

and
Quote:
Thyroid problems can stem from prioritizing cortisol so T3 does not get made, from inadequate iodine in the diet, or from a liver that is struggling in its detoxification role and can’t make the enzymes necessary to convert T4 to T3. The other halogens like chlorine and fluorine have a higher affinity for the iodine receptors than iodine does, so drinking chlorinated and fluoridated water may be responsible for an inability to absorb iodine, and thereby affect thyroid function. Another important reason to filter our water! Goitrogens like processed soy and peanuts also block the absorption of iodine. Omega 6 vegetable oils are usually already rancid when consumed, and the oxidative processes seem to damage enzyme activity, increase inflammation, and block production of thyroid hormone. Coconut oil, a medium-chain fatty acid seems to aid thyroid function. Mercury in the body displaces selenium, which is needed to convert T4 to T3.
http://blog.wellnesstips.ca/blog/index.php/?p=110
Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #26
Garrett Smith

Hypothyroidism, due to any number of factors, is the main reason why I think some people do not respond well to IF (or can't do it at all without major symptoms).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #27
Mike ODonnell

If one thinks they may have hypothyroidism....how much of that is really due to a strained/damaged/fatty liver that can not produce enzymes to convert T4 to T3 vs having disfuctional thyroids? (of course I understand the only way to really know is through blood tests) I mean if you start to IF and you are still eating a good amount, then feel cold....wouldn't that signal something else going wrong in the whole process...or is that really the down regulation of the thyroid not producing enough T4?

Also how much of just only "feeling cold" could also just be due to poor adrenal function vs hypothyroidism? (too much excessive cortisol, stimlants and other factors?)
Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
Garrett Smith

MOD,
That's why I put in the "due to any number of factors"...

Clean up the diet, the liver gets better and insulin comes down, the thyroid will likely just kick back into gear.

Get enough sleep and don't overdo exercise/stress(-ors), along with proper nutrition, both the adrenals and thyroid come back on line.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #29
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Get enough sleep and don't overdo exercise/stress(-ors), along with proper nutrition, both the adrenals and thyroid come back on line.
The times my hands and feet felt the coldest were days of poor sleep habbits and too much coffee....so makes sense to me.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #30
Dan Heaney

I have an average waking temp of 96.4 but I'm not really cold all the time. Right now I IF 1-2 days a week. I want to go to every other day for 14-16 hours. Should I not do this becaus of my low waking temp with seems to indicate a metabolic slowdown?

Thanks
Dan Heaney is offline   Reply With Quote