Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Lyle and GH

I found this comment very interesting from Lyle at his new blog
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/

Quote:
Q: I just read your review of EPOC. Probably 16 years ago I read a study done at Laval U. It compared fat loss from steady exercise vs short bouts of intense exercise all done on a stat bike. Like the article, there was little difference in calorie burn between the two groups. But the intense group had significantly greater fat loss than the steady group. The researchers has no real answer as to why that happened. I wondered back then if it could be explained by the intense exercise stimulating growth hormone (GH). GH has a steroid-like effect on the body, accelerating fat loss among other effects.

A: I doubt it. GH is pretty irrelevant as an anabolic, studies have clearly shown that even injecting GH does nothing to improve strength or muscle gains. So the small GH pulse from interval training is unlikely to explain the results of that original interval study.

Rather, alterations in fat oxidation enzymes, muscle glycogen depletion, and the fact that, in untrained individuals, high intensity interval work can probably stimulate increases in muscle mass are more likely to explain the studies results.

But GH is pretty worthless here.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Chris Bardwell

Interesting find, I am no pro in the field but assume he could be right about HIIT training being enough to elicit an adequate hormonal response. Whereas I am sure weight training is a different story.....

I am reading through his blog now, some great stuff up....
Chris Bardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Neill Smith

I've always been impressed by Lyle. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if he's full of s--t or not, but he puts out a lot of information, contributes most of it cheaply or for free, and certainly sounds like he knows his stuff. I'm curious to hear others' opinions.
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

I find it hard to believe that "GH is pretty irrelevant as an anabolic, studies have clearly shown that even injecting GH does nothing to improve strength or muscle gains."

If that was the fact, I don't think you would have an issue with athletes using GH as a "performance enhancing drug".....which apparently is a big deal so they say nowadays. I know it can help increase recovery, which in turn can increase training volume....but have no direct effect on muscle increase? (Or is the muscle increase just a result of the abillity to increase training volume?)

Also that statement would negate anything that DeVany or others state about needing to train in the lactate threshold, as lactate increases GH output, and then not eating pwo immediately so as to take advantage of elevated GH for elevated fat loss.

Hard to argue the real world results of fat loss and muscle gain with those that do interval based training. I just don't think GH has that small of a role in the process.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Um, maybe we should change the name away from "growth hormone" if it isn't anabolic...sheesh.

Maybe he is only referring to GH as anabolic in regards to muscle tissue, which is a myopic view and likely incorrect.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Lyle's nutritional cred and hormonal chops are pretty unimpeachable.

The Vain One OTOH, is *profoundly crazy.

Last edited by Dave Van Skike : 03-26-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: previous de vany indictment may have been a shade harsh.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

This is just another example of someone trying to claim they know what is going on inside the Black Box, IMO...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Jeremy Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
The Vain One OTOH, is *profoundly crazy.
Very, very true.
Jeremy Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Jeremy Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Also that statement would negate anything that DeVany or others state about needing to train in the lactate threshold, as lactate increases GH output, and then not eating pwo immediately so as to take advantage of elevated GH for elevated fat loss.
This is typical stuff that DeVany misinterprets. Training at the lactate threshold is fine for fat loss due to the amount of energy required. Glycogen depletion never hurts for fat loss, either.

Carbohydrates after resistance training don't blunt GH release, anyway:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
Jeremy Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I am actually writing an article on neuroendocrine response... hopefully will finish within the month (I have tonsssss of links studies in pubmed and various journals). Maybe in next months' PMenu.

Here's a few things things I have come across:
1. EPOC fails.
2. GH has a variety of uses both anabolic and catabolic (won't go into details). Recovery, as Mike said, is one good way to think of how GH functions though.
3. Glycogen depletion is key vs. B-oxidation with fat reserves (aka high intensity vs steady state).

I'll leave you guys to your own devices now since I don't want to give everything away.. just yet.

Will be interesting to see what Lyle puts up and if it compares to what I've found so far... not that I need the competition from Lyle of all people. :\

edit: oops couple of errors

Last edited by Steven Low : 04-18-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Mike ODonnell
This message has been deleted by Mike ODonnell.