Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Greg Woods

Default Greg's MEBB & Gymnastics Log

Found the forum a few weeks ago and really like the feel of the place. So with that, I'm going to start logging my workout here and welcome any type of input from those that care to tag along.

Background: 37 yo, 5'8", 151 lbs. I did Xfit for about 6 months in '05-'06 before switching to an OLAD/Xfit routine. Made great gains on my squat and deadlift with that and hope to climb back to those numbers following Black Box. Half way thru '06 I started gymnastics, which was great until I injured my shoulder in Jan 07 doing giants on the strap bar. Spent most of 07 trying to rehab it before finally settling on surgery in November. Began hitting the weights again in January and started going to gymnastics in March. Been slow going with the shoulders but I'm in no hurry.

My program will be cleans (or variation) for total body ME, front squats for lower body, and weighted pull-ups & presses for upper body. P-lette training, shoulder rehab and metcon on either side of ME days. Evening gymnastics twice a week for roughly an hour.

Goals:
Increase front squat to 250 lbs. Currently at 225.
Controlled muscle-up to handstand. Currently shaky on HS.
Add 4-5 lbs lean body mass.
Stay injury free.
Greg Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Greg Woods

Mon Mar 31

Max Effort Black Box

Clean: 5x95, 5x115, 5x125, 3x135, 3x155, 2x165(Fail on 3rd) lb
H.P. Clean: 3x3, 135 lb

Ext. Rot (1 band) 2x10
Int. Rot (1 band) 2x10

Decent workout. Spent several days last week working on technique. Started light to get the movement down. Really concentrated on not bending the arms too early. Will probably start at 135 lb next time. Failed on the last rep because I went right to a power clean vs full clean. I prefer power cleans but that wasn't on the agenda.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Greg Woods

Tues. April 1

"Helen"
Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

Substitution: 35 lb DB

1st round: 3:58
2nd round: 5:01
3rd round: 5:07
Total: 14:06

My conditioning is severely lacking. But I need to start somewhere and since it was unusually warm this morning so I opted for some running. Ugh. Haven't done that in ages. Knees & ankles felt fine but the lungs weren't too happy.

And for the record I'm going to pick & choose my metcon workouts. I have a sheet of old Xfit favorites from a few years ago so I might tap into that if nothing piques my interest at Xfit or the CA WODs.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
Greg Woods

Wed. Apr 2

Hanging P-lette training:

L-sit: 3x20 sec (-1 set)
Tuck planche: 3x20 sec (-1 set)
L-sit to Tuck: 2x5 reps (+1 set)
HS (floor): 3x10 sec
L-sit hang to invert: 2x3
Front lever: 2

Attending a conference in town today so I made due with a basement workout. V-sits and straddle planches were beyond my strength on the hanging p-lettes. Its been two weeks since I last did p-lette training and considering how sore the shoulders were last week I'm happy with what was accomplished.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Greg Woods

Tues. Apr 8

Front squats:
1x5x 95 lb
1x2x 135
1x2x 155
3x5x 175 (78% 1 RM)
3x3x 190 (85% 1 RM)
1x5x 135

Int. Rot (2 bands, 7 ft) 3x10
Int. Rot (2 bands, 4 ft) 3x10

Down and out with strep throat for a few days. Started Wednesday night and by Friday evening I knew it was more than a passing cold. A few hours in the ER Saturday morning confirmed my suspicion (as if the inability to swallow, inflamed uvula and white spots on the throat weren't indication enough). When the ER Doc looked at my throat she went "Whoa! That's rough looking". Thanks for the confirmation, Doc. Spent most of weekend either napping or sitting on the couch and had my fill of chicken noodle soup & green tea. Finally hit the solid food Sunday night and feel about 80% today.

Good workout this morning. Probably could have bumped the numbers up a bit on the work sets but then again it is a break-in period.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Greg Woods

Wed April 9

4 rounds for time of:
10 jumping sit-ups
12 dumbbell push press 20% BW (15 lb DBs)
15 sandbag zercher cleans 35% BW (45 lb bar)

Modification: No sandbag so I wrapped 1-inch webbing around the knurling and held loose ends. Better than nothing....

Time: 12:10

Dug thru the archives this morning and picked this routine. Jumping situps were harder than I anticipated...at least the jumping portion. Cleans really slowed down toward the end too. Nice change from typical pushup/pullup/squat metcons.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Greg Woods

Thurs Apr 10

Rest. Got to take Arden and her two buddies to Pre-K in the AM. Completely screws up my morning and gets me into work late, but it's a blast. Wish I could do it more often.

Fri Apr 11

Superset (Rest=120 sec)

Pull-up: 2x5xBW, 3x5+30 lb, 1x3+40 lb, 1x3+50lb, 1x3+55 lb
DB press: 2x5x25s, 3x5x40s, 1x3x50s, 2x3x60s

Superset
Y: 2x12x5 lb
T: 2x12x5 lb
I: 2x12x8 lb

The pullups went well, which good since I enjoy doing them. The 3x5's were a touch light but the 50-55 lb range was good for 3's. Was very happy with the 120 lb press although they were a grind. That's 80% of my bodyweight so hopefully it won't be too long before I'm back to p-lette HSPUs. I was up to seven at one point in late 06 (video of a few from 9/06). Have lost focus on shoulder prehab the last few weeks so it's time to get those back into the mix.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Greg Woods

Sun April 13

Clean: 2x5x95, 3x3x135, 3x1x160 lb

Clean shrug: 2x6x185 lb

Floor press: 1x8x95, 3x8x145 lb

Videoed the cleans and my hips were way too high. Concentrating so much on the second pull I completely screwed up addressing the bar and getting proper back position. Liked watching the vids though so I'll try to get some more next time around. Right shoulder still giving a twinge on the floor presses.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #9
Greg Woods

Mon Apr 14

4 rounds for time of:
100 m sprint
10 Turkish get-ups – 25% BW (Scaled to 25 lb DB)
1 min rest

Time: 12:11

Dynamic Blackburns: 2x20
Scap Pushups: 2x20 (elevated feet)

Considered using the 25% BW recommendation but after toying with the 35 lb DB for a minute I realized it wasn't going to happen. Dropped back to a 25 pounder and went at it.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
Greg Woods

Tues. Apr 15

P-lette training:
(rest= 45-60 sec)

L-sit: 3x20 sec
V-Sit: 3x10 sec
Tuck planche: 3x20 sec
Straddle planche: 3x5 sec (partials)
L-sit to Tuck: 5 reps
Straddle press to HS (wall) 2x3
HS: 3x45 sec (wall)

Weighted hamstring stretch: 3x20 sec, 45 lb plate

Partial straddle planches went surprisingly well. Back was flat and knees were out. Still one set down on most of the holds from two months ago. Planning on hitting the gymnasium this evening for some ring & HB work.