Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #21
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
So people can get their rocks off without having babies.
Yes I got that....my reply was an attempt at online sex humor from a different view point....but alas once a comedian has to reveal the joke....it is no longer funny....sighhhh....now back to foreplay with my mouse.....
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
Neal Winkler

Rising food prices are causing riots around the world.

Just like I said, government intrusion will cause problems with the food supply. What's going on today is that central banks (whether socialized or fascist), specifically the U.S. Federal Reserve, have caused the recent uptick in prices through monetary expansion. This monetary expansion resulted in a misallocation of resources in the housing sector, now exposed, and now the inflation has trickled out into the economy. Nice job Greenspan and your fellow central banking crooks! I feel sorry for Bernanke, he inherited quite the mess. He also has no idea what's going on, and no, he is not the world's formost expert on the great depression.

See the expansion of the money supply here that shot way up starting in 2001.... okay, nevermind the site isn't working right now. I come back with the link later.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #23
Neal Winkler

Here's the link to the money supply.

http://mises.org/content/nofed/chart.aspx?series=TMS
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #24
Susie Rosenberg

TJs and Whole Foods markets and such are not the only way to get high quality foods.....their markups are enormous, plus a great deal of their goods are "organic" but shipped from faraway markets.

I am rather...ummm...enthusiastic about food, so here are a couple of things I do to keep costs down:

1. The higher up the food chain I eat, the more important it is to avoid toxins in the food. So I am not proud---I stock up on frozen veggies at Walmart. A package of MacKenzie chopped collard greens is only $1.54; and it's chopped so fine I can just saute it without having to boil first---saves nutrients! I would never have the patience to chop my greens that fine. So TIP #1: frozen veggies are often fresher than "fresh" shipped veggies and are a lot cheaper.

2. Join a CSA--community supported agriculture. Because I won't be able to grow my garden this year (will be recovering from spine surgery) I joined one for this season. $500 will buy me weekly deliveries of local, freshly harvested organic produce sufficient for a family of four from June 1st through the end of October, plus a thanksgiving delivery. I pick my order once a week at a convenient local spot. Doesn't get better than this except to grow your own!

3. Find a local producer of grassfed meats and organize a buying club. We just did that at my local Crossfit afffiliate. 10 families are buying direct from a farmer one hour away, and each family takes a turn going to the farm on a monthly basis to pick up all the orders. We get a volume discount. This is necessary as there is no local distributer for these meats. Even if you can't find a local farmer who pastures his animals, maybe you could organize a buying club from someone who ships, and have a pooled order that comes to one location and everybody comes and picks it up during a 4 hour window once a month. The producer saves packing/shipping costs and might offer a volume discount. It's almost always cheaper to cut out the middleman!

4, Farmer's markets in season. Better produce at better prices.

But yeah....food prices are flooring me up here in upstate NY!

Susie
Susie Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #25
Frank Needham

Interesting discussion here. Who'll be the first to say "Ok, you can sterilize me to save the rest of the world?" Hell, it won't be me, its too late, got an 18 month old right now. There won't be any more though! "Hell no" is what you see all third world countries saying to voluntary birth control, whether it is done out of ignorance or not. China, Latin America, India are all exploding duh? More people chasing after resources = higher prices, at least for the immediate future. I see the future, and it is brown....these folks are knockin boots like there is no tomorrow. My own wife's people for example? The RPI has like 80 million and counting fast on what amounts to an island nation and they aren't slowing down no matter what they're faced with.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
Find a local producer of grassfed meats and organize a buying club. We just did that at my local Crossfit afffiliate. 10 families are buying direct from a farmer one hour away, and each family takes a turn going to the farm on a monthly basis to pick up all the orders. We get a volume discount.
That is a great idea....as we need to start coming together and taking care of our own health in the community....instead of relying on govt or larger public supermarket corporations who need profit margins to take care of us.

Imagine how much greater the world would be if everyone took full responsibility and started fending for themselves whether individual or even in small communities (in all aspects)...and not sit around and expect people to take care of them.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #27
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
That is a great idea....as we need to start coming together and taking care of our own health in the community....instead of relying on govt or larger public supermarket corporations who need profit margins to take care of us.

Imagine how much greater the world would be if everyone took full responsibility and started fending for themselves whether individual or even in small communities (in all aspects)...and not sit around and expect people to take care of them.

Well said.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #28
Neal Winkler

Mike,

Local grass fed farmers are trying to make profit too. If they weren't then how would they pay their bills unless they are totally independent in terms of food supply and energy? Or maybe they are millionaires who are being frugal? At the very least they would still have to pay property taxes, so they would have to make profit or they would go to jail.

If we all start buying local grassfed then eventually big supermarkets will cater to this consumer demand and probably make it cheaper to buy grass fed from them. Big supermarket chain CEO's aren't sitting behind their desks right now going, "MUHAHAHAHA I'm making everyone unhealthy and I'm getting rich off it." The food they stock in their stores is nothing more than supplying what consumers demand. It's not their responsibility to look after anyone.

But perhaps you weren't saying anything against supermarket chains. I'm not sure. The "evil corporation" is just such a common economic fallacy that people make, so whenever I get a hint of it I feel obligated to stand up for what is true.

Does anyone care to discuss the virtues of Wal-Mart with me?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #29
John Alston

"Local grass fed farmers are trying to make profit too."
Exactly, Neal.

Last edited by John Alston : 04-15-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: dkjjfghjdsjkhfgjhsda
John Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #30
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Winkler View Post
Mike, Local grass fed farmers are trying to make profit too. But perhaps you weren't saying anything against supermarket chains. I'm not sure. The "evil corporation" is just such a common economic fallacy that people make, so whenever I get a hint of it I feel obligated to stand up for what is true.
Yes I am all for profit and business....that was not the point. I was more referring to cheap and inferior products that you sometimes find in the hopes of a better profit margin. In the end...if everyone ate local meat, the local farmers couldn't handle the demand and it would either all disappear or they would expand and go "corporate". Corporations are a neccessity if we expect the economy to be stable....otherwise it goes back to fending for ourselves...and crap...as soon as their is a blackout for 1 hour there is everyone looting....we are so unstable we can't handle what is coming.......but nothing stays the same as history can teach you that....in the end, everyone who relies on somsone else to take care of them is in for trouble....the ones who take care of themselves will be better off.