Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
John Velandra

Default Paleo for kids????

OK, so on a paleo-type diet, how do you get the kids on board? Yes, the obvious just do it... but if they ARE receptive to it but now are bored (as are we sometimes).... what do you do or how have you dealt with it?????

Kid snacks?
Variety?

Red pill or blue pill? (matrix)
Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Jason Naubur

I have the same issue. 3 kids (8,5,2) and hated seeing them eat cereals, bread etc., knowing what I now know.

I talked to my wife (who is zoning, I'm paleo zone), and we found some good quality cold cuts that the kids like and some decent cheese. Then we just put out the meat and cheese first and let them pick and choose. We usually put out Salami, Bologna and Porchetta (lean pork loin). Then some fruit or veggies. Sometimes we add some rye bread and they can make sandwiches.

They also love Shake n Bake chicken, and if they are in the mood - rare steak (they don't like chewy well done) and salmon. We are also trying some olive oil salad dressings for dipping veggies with some success. Cheeze Whiz on celery is a winner with one son.

Keep experimenting, and keep up their fat content. I don't fret if they go out, or if they eat some wholegrain bread or crackers once in a while.

I was nervous and delayed it for weeks, but now that I have started they are good to go. I take them to the deli counter and have them pick some meat, including them helps.

Oh, and as they get older I find explaining things to them make them more interested. Good luck, and tell me what you find out - we have just started down this road with them.

jason

PS - I also give them Fish Oil in the mornings, I buy one with a natural lemon flavour.
Jason Naubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Tell them the Wiggles ate Barney....he's Paleo
Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Ari Kestler

Jason just something I noticed in your post, you could sub almond meal for shake and bake and I doubt they would know the difference. There is a wicked almond meal fried chicken recipe on here somewhere...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Craig Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Tell them the Wiggles ate Barney....he's Paleo
You crack me up sometimes.

Craig
Craig Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
John Velandra

Shake & Bake:
Ingredients: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1] RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), SALT, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND COTTONSEED OIL, SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, CORNMEAL, PAPRIKA, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, SPICE, DRIED ONION, YEAST, NATURAL FLAVOR, CARAMEL COLOR, DRIED GARLIC, MALTODEXTRIN, CITRIC ACID.

Yep... go with the almond meal! Who wants this stuff??? Use meal and your own spices... then barney will taste yummy!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Jason just something I noticed in your post, you could sub almond meal for shake and bake and I doubt they would know the difference. There is a wicked almond meal fried chicken recipe on here somewhere...
To satisfy my own curiosity:
http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579&highlight=almond+meal+chicke n
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Along the same lines, I too use nut meals (various ones) and sometimes I grind some fresh flax seeds and mix it with the nutmeal too! It works great on fish as well and can also be baked in the oven successfully! Did it last night with some flounder. Topped with some nut meal, spices and drizzled some lemon juice and toasted sesame oil on top
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Jason Naubur

Yeah, I know shake 'n bake isn't the best, but it isn't much on the chicken and the more they eat chicken the more they might try other flavours. Kids are finicky.

I'll try the fry up and see what happens. Thanks for the tips! Putting Coconut oil and almond flour on the shopping list now.

jason
Jason Naubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Naubur View Post
Kids are finicky.
jason
Exactly.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote