Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Default Q's about James F's April PM article

Ok James, you've got my attention, why the tease? One-month is a long ways away!

I've seen Poliquin mention such things before, but haven't been able to learn more.

So, let me see if I'm understanding you thus far (he doesn't post here does he?):

Places were you store more fat than others give you a picture of your hormone profile and determines the best training/nutrition style for you.

Adrenal: High adrenal sites (umbilical) means people will respond better to insulin management (low-carb paleo style), good sleep, recovery (they have poor recovery), and skill based/ME style workouts with little metcon (5-10 minutes or regular length but say only 1 times per week?). I take it that people who have high adrenal sites need to be slow about developing work capacity before hitting the hard metcons. This is related to the poor recovery of their catabolic selves.

Insulin: High insulin sites obviously means too much insulin secretion. So, we're looking at paleo eating, "pre- and post workout allotment of proper nutrients" (does that mean BCAA's pre, and high-carb/protein post to take advantage on non-insulin mediated glucose uptake?), and ME only workouts (why don't metcons work for insulin resistant individuals?). What does "daily energy patterns" mean?

Note: In the 8 on 12 off study all the women who didn't respond to intervals were insulin resistant.

Androgen: High androgen sites (pecs/triceps) are the guys that build muscle easily. They respond best to ME, hypertrophy rep ranges, and short metcons (<5 min.).

GH and Estrogen: High GH (calves) and estrogen (thigh) sites both respond well to traditional crossfit/metcon training.

Question: do people with high GH and estrogen sites show themselves to be more carb-tolerant than adrenal/insulin people? Where does the androgen fit in?
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Tom Rawls

High-insulin sites????

High-estrogen (thighs)--does that mean fatty thighs?

Lots of shorthand in the piece, which may mean something to the cognoscenti, but is perplexing to me.

Clarification and elaboration would be welcome.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Ok, I think I may have found the answer to my next question.

I was wondering if having a high reading meant it was higher relative to the other readings, or if there was a different standard. But I'm reading from Poliquins site now that it's relative to the tricep skinfold.

Based upon this and just having my fingers to test, it's seems that I have a higher adrenal/insulin hormone profile, with my lowest relative skinfold being the pec and calf(explains why I'm a hardgainer, no T or GH).
Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Neal Winkler

Tom, high-insulin sites means when using sinfold calipers you have more fat in the sub-scapular and iliac region relative too.... (see above post) either triceps or the other skinfold sites.

Yes, high-estrogen means fat thighs.

Did you read James Fitzgeralds article yet?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Tom Rawls

Yes, I read the article. I was glad to see your post, because I had difficulty understanding the article. It seemed telegraphic to me, and I didn't fully understand the code. I'm deciphering bit by bit.
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Jane Michel
This message has been deleted by Jane Michel. Reason: I found the answer
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Jane Michel

Sorry to hijack - thought we might keep questions about James' article in one thread... will this article be sold by itself? Or will it be kept and sold as part the journal issue?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Neal Winkler

I will actually pay James $10 if he has already written the rest of the article to send it my way.

I've been wanting to know about this stuff but havn't been able to gather enough useful information from the net to use it in real life. I don't feel like waiting another month.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Robb Wolf

James is a genius on this stuff. Ido Portal also.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Neal Winkler

Do you know anything about it, Robb? Have I got the gyst right thus far?

Also, if there's anyway that my message can be relayed to James, I will seriously pay $10 bucks for the rest of the article if he's finished it already. It will be the 10 easiest bucks anyone has ever made. Well, except for that one time in Tijuana when....
Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

Neal! What happens in TJ stays in TJ!

James is still working on the rest of the articles. I'm going to ask him to break the info down a bit more in the next installments.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote