Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #131
Yuen Sohn

In what way are you missing your snatches as of late? In front? Behind?

On the misses near your max, is it the case that you have the weight locked out for a split second, but lose tension in the bottom position?
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #132
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuen Sohn View Post
In what way are you missing your snatches as of late? In front? Behind?
In front, nearly always. Feels like lack of umph on the pull (although I can get 70kg to mid-sternum easily on high pulls) but may be poor positioning and crappy 3rd pull.

Quote:
On the misses near your max, is it the case that you have the weight locked out for a split second, but lose tension in the bottom position?
Yep, except when I'm soft in the elbows as well. Generally on the right side, for some reason, both lower and upper body. Despite the fact that my right is my dominant side.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #133
Yuen Sohn

Without seeing you lift in person, it's tough to say. But I can maybe offer some advice based on my own experience as well as other new to intermediate lifters I train with. I definitely think you've already got what it takes to snatch more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
In front, nearly always. Feels like lack of umph on the pull (although I can get 70kg to mid-sternum easily on high pulls) but may be poor positioning and crappy 3rd pull.
If positioning is a problem (like the bar is going too far forward), try doing a complex of 1 snatch high pull (keep this really close with "scarecrow" arms) and immediately follow this with a snatch. Start with the bar only and progress to heavier weight as you feel comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Yep, except when I'm soft in the elbows as well. Generally on the right side, for some reason, both lower and upper body. Despite the fact that my right is my dominant side.
Snatch balances and high hang/tall snatches worked great for me. I've never really gone too heavy with my snatch balances as they are a rather joyless assistance exercise for me, haha. As a result, my snatch balance trails my full snatch by about 30kg. Not to say that you shouldn't go heavy (as that's definitely a good thing), but it's also the quality of the movement that I think is more important. Strive to make your lighter attempts super crisp, get to the bottom position lighting quick, and really get in the habit of punching out/lockout out hard and fast. I've noticed at competitions, you can almost always tell who's going to be lifting big weights based on how crisply they warm up with an empty bar and lighter weights.

There was a time when my bottom position was super shaky, and I found throwing some OHS once a week (about 65-75% of max snatch for 5s) helped a lot. Of course, full range-of-motion and no grinders.

Also, how often do you do presses (strict, push presses, snatch-grip, etc.)?
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #134
Arien Malec

First, thanks for the help and advice!

Quote:
If positioning is a problem (like the bar is going too far forward), try doing a complex of 1 snatch high pull (keep this really close with "scarecrow" arms) and immediately follow this with a snatch. Start with the bar only and progress to heavier weight as you feel comfortable.
Good advice and makes a lot of sense. I keep my high pulls nice and close, scarecrow arms as you say, but not as clean on the full snatch. I've been wondering how to keep the bar closer -- seems like a great drill.

Quote:
Snatch balances and high hang/tall snatches worked great for me. I've never really gone too heavy with my snatch balances as they are a rather joyless assistance exercise for me, haha. As a result, my snatch balance trails my full snatch by about 30kg. Not to say that you shouldn't go heavy (as that's definitely a good thing), but it's also the quality of the movement that I think is more important. Strive to make your lighter attempts super crisp, get to the bottom position lighting quick, and really get in the habit of punching out/lockout out hard and fast. I've noticed at competitions, you can almost always tell who's going to be lifting big weights based on how crisply they warm up with an empty bar and lighter weights.
Yep -- I'm on a mission right now to increase the snatch balance and increase my comfort under the bar. Good advice on keeping it fast -- I've been concentrating on keeping it heavy -- may be good to take it up to a max, then drop back the weight and concentrate on speed and lockout.

Quote:
There was a time when my bottom position was super shaky, and I found throwing some OHS once a week (about 65-75% of max snatch for 5s) helped a lot. Of course, full range-of-motion and no grinders.

Also, how often do you do presses (strict, push presses, snatch-grip, etc.)?
Not so much this cycle, but a decent amount previous cycles. It's not clear to me that shoulder strength correlates with crisper lockout for me -- I've been reducing the presses and increasing the jerks and getting better lockout.

It's fair to say, however, that my press is relatively weak compared to my lower body strength.

Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #135
Arien Malec

Good day today (Thursday):
Weights in kg:

j: did singles up to 77kg (PR), failed 80, went back down to 72.5 for 3 singles

sn:
I did Yuen's drill of high pulls followed by snatches. My daughter, her friend and her friend's brother came out to watch, which was fun, so I decided to push to a PR.
Worked up to 59 kg, hit it (PR), tried 61 kg but too much for that day.

fs: 72.5x3x3.
I'm recovering from the 10x3 much better than I ever did with 5x5

Finished with external rotations and chins, then went to eat the flesh of animals.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #136
Arien Malec

Saturday:

Not so great today -- took my chance on Thursday with not much in the tank today.

sn: went up to 55kg, then took three tries at a PR 61kg, but nothing doing.
c&j: tried at a PR 75kg, hit the clean, but nothing in the tank for the jerk
fs: singles, hit 92.5 for a tie at my PR, but missed at 97.5

then rowed 3K, external rotations, standing ab wheel, etc.

I think I'll hit another 10x3 Tuesday, then do moderate weight work until two weeks from now for a PR day.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #137
Arien Malec

Tuesday:
weights in lbs
mu sn + tall sn + sn bal: Up to 105
sn bal: up to 135 for 2 singles, messed up on 145. Wanted to move on...
shp: 160x2x3
j: 160x1x3. Ugly.
fs: 165x3x10

Don't know if I'm up for chins and external rotations tonight.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #138
Arien Malec

Crappy day today. I should have kept the jerks lower to hit every lift.
weight in lbs
j: up to 165, tried at 175 twice but failed, tried back at 165x1x3 but missed each one
sn bal: 115x1x3. Missed once, and snatched it back up. Then went on to 125x1x3
fs: 165x3x3
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #139
Arien Malec

Two incidents of butterfingers over the last couple of days -- CNS fried?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #140
Arien Malec

Near max day, which turned out to be a max day.
sn: went up to 57kg for what was supposed to be 3 singles, but I only hit one.
c&j: up to 70kg for 3 singles, but missed one
fs: 85 kg for a triple.

It's clearer than ever that my main problem in the snatch is getting under the bar in my third pull. I can make the snatch if I have room to spare (if I can pull it to my chin), but if I pull to mid-sternum, I can't get under it.

Have to do external rotations and chins today.