Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
James Evans

Default What are your standards?

Although I think we can all get a bit het up about achieving a sub 3 minute Gaynor as rx'd* I do always find the idea of fitness standards interesting.

There is also something pleasingly voyeuristic about seeing what other people lift, how fast they move etc.

Anyway, a couple of things I've read recently made me think some more about the subject. Firstly Rob Shaul on his very enjoyable Moutain Athlete site (think Gym Jones without the PCP) set out his standards:

Exercise Men / Women

Dead Lift 2x BW / 1.5x BW
Front Squat 1.5x BW / 1.0x BW
Bench Press 1.5x BW / 1.0x BW
Power Clean 1.25x BW / .75x BW
Strict Pullups 20 / 10

and in Never Gymless Ross while arguing that too many people train push ups for strength endurance and should focus on other qualities he still believes that an athlete should be able to bang out 50.

So, in line with the above and things like 15 OHS at bodyweight or 35k one arm bench for 8 reps what would be your standards (whether you meet them or intend to meet them in the future)? I'll be interested in the ideas of those of you who train people for a living.

Gold star for the first: "I have no standards" reply.

*Gaynor

Speed twitches at bodyweight
Moldavian Fanny Hammers
Moonwalks

21-15-9 reps for time
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Can people that don't train people for a living state their standards too?

This is what I am striving for at the moment it's a mish mash of stuff, some stuff I've done before, and would like to maintain some I'm shooting for.

Front squat - 1.5x BW
Back squat - 2 x BW (oly style, I've done this PL style)
Deadlift - 500 LB DL - I've done 2xBW, 500 would be 2.5xBW Not training for it currently but one day I'll get back to this.
Clean and jerk - 1.5xBW for now
Snatch - 1 x BW for now
OHS - 1.5 x BW I've hit BW for 3
dead hang pull/chin - 15 -I've hit this in the past but as soon as I start to slack a bit my numbers end up going down again, I'd like to get a to place where 15 is my maintanence number rather than 10-12 which is what I get without much training.
kipping pullup - I've hit 20 in the past and would like to get 25, though not a huge goal
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Kelly Frankson

I think Robs standards are too low for girls. I typically tell girls that the first goal for deadlifts is BW, then 1.5xs then 2xs, front squats BW then 1.5xs BW. OH squat and clean and jerk bodyweight and although we don't do a lot of bench press I usually get girls building up to a BW.

These are the goals i set for my self a last year and where I'm at:

Snatch BW (128lbs)-currently at 132lbs
Clean and Jerk 1.5x BW (192lbs)-currently at 176lbs
Back Squat 2x BW (256lbs)-currently at 253lbs
Deadlift 2x BW (256lbs)-currently at 265lbs
15 rep max OH BW (128lbs)-currently at 135lbs
1 rep max OH 1.25xBW (154lbs)-currently at 155lbs
Handstand Pushups 15-currently at 10
Shoulder Press BW (128lb)-currently at 115lbs
Bench Press BW (128lbs)-currently at 135lbs
Pullups (kipping)-50-currently at 42
Tabata Pushups-12-currently at 10
Tabata Squats 27-currently at 25
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Ari Kestler

General Question: What happens once you reach your standard? Do you plan to just stop training for gains on that specific lift? Will you continue to push through? How would one even go about training to maintain?
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Allen and Kelly, you guys amaze me. That's some awesome stuff right there. Damn.

I don't know if they're really "standards" or "goals." I normally don't ever get anywhere near my ME when I train. Just don't have any interest. It's for that reason, my "standards" are more rep based.

For example

Deadlift - I want 600 for 10. I've done 585 for 11, but that 600 has been elusive for me. Last year I did it for 8. I may just have to cowboy up and give it a whirl.
Front Squat - with rack position, I want to do 315+ for set of 5 with the 5th rep being as easy as the first. I can "cross your heart" 405 for reps, but I want to hold in the rack with the hope that one day I can catch it and ride it down.
OHS - I would like to meet (I believer her name is) Nicole in a dark alley and not run in fear.

From a ME standpoint I'd like to

Snatch my bodyweight. I have a real problem dropping under, but the power snatches are coming along. I want to get my bodyweight. I think I'm getting close. My training weights of 75 and 80% are flying up these days.

Squat Clean more than 275. Everytime I go over 275 with cleans, I cut the clean short and catch the weight with my elbows pointing down. I can power clean with the crappy elbow position somehwere between 315 and 330. But I want to ride it down and stand up with it.

Perfect the power jerk and jerk Phil's Apollon Axle. Who am I kidding? Let's be serious. I got to get that thing to my shoulders first, then we'll think about jerking it.

All the best,
arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
General Question: What happens once you reach your standard? Do you plan to just stop training for gains on that specific lift? Will you continue to push through? How would one even go about training to maintain?

For me, at my age, I will have to change my standards. I can't keep moving the heavier weights into my 40s. I just don't think it would be advantageous for my long term goals in fitness.

I see myself alternatively changing my focus on the heavier pulling to pulling the cleans and snatches with weights that are about 35 to 40% of what I'm capable of deadlifting right now. As I see it, that would have much less injury potential.

I want to perfect the technical aspects of the olympic movements and be able to coach others in their performance. Namely my daughters. So that's where I see myself going with the weight training.

All my training is geared toward my sport and improving my performance in my sport. As long as i remain competitive, I'll always strive to improve somehow.

Good luck. It's different for everyone.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Live a long full happy life to play hockey and drink Guinness....no set goals, as I live more about appreciating the daily journey, not about getting to set destinations. Exercise is all part of just doing to appreciate it....don't care about what the weights are or need to be...I know when they are going up...and I keep adding more when I need to. There will be setbacks to my training such as injury or other things that take priority in life....but those don't bother me anymore, as I plan on living the journey for a long time.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Live a long full happy life to play hockey and drink Guinness....no set goals, as I live more about appreciating the daily journey, not about getting to set destinations. Exercise is all part of just doing to appreciate it....don't care about what the weights are or need to be...I know when they are going up...and I keep adding more when I need to. There will be setbacks to my training such as injury or other things that take priority in life....but those don't bother me anymore, as I plan on living the journey for a long time.
Very well put! Now if only I could adopt those standards as well! But I hate beer....
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Allen and Kelly, you guys amaze me. That's some awesome stuff right there. Damn.
585 for 11....I still can remember your video just banging that out like it's nothing.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
Very well put! Now if only I could adopt those standards as well! But I hate beer....

Agreed completely on both the training and the beer. Hate the beer.

The biggest thing I've learned in the past two years is that I cannot train instinctively anymore. I have to waive my efforts weekly in order to continually improve/not be banged up/etc. If that makes any sense?

It's all good and it's all fun.

All the best,
Arden