Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Chris Forbis

Being an Excel nerd, I have made a big spreadsheet for this in the past. I've got it setup with 3 different levels for each lift... I'll just list the top weight I'm shooting for. Current BW is 175 (so hard to keep weight on...). To get the numbers to jump that much, there will have to be some mass gain. The multiplier stays the same, but that will make the weights jump up.

Squat: 2xBW, 350#
Deadlift: 2.75xBW, 481#
Power Clean: 1.27xBW, 223#
Press: 1xBW, 175#
Bench Press: 1.55xBW, 271#

Those ballpark around Rip's advanced standard which is another long term goal for me. I'd also love to do the sandbag mile in 15:00, 15 OHS @ BW, and all kinds of other things. No rush though.

My current numbers are nowhere near those above. But I'm not far from my first tier numbers (263/350/267/131/201, respectively), or haven't been far from them in the past.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Current BW is 175 (so hard to keep weight on...).
Chris do you IF at all? With all this talk about slowed metabolism on IF...I find it EASIER to gain weight...as in why the hell would I want a fast metabolism if I am trying to put on pounds with the least amount of calorie intake? Just a thought....
Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #13
Kevin Perry

I don't have standards because anything you guys can do I can do better hehehe no really i mean it.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
Jared Buffie

Neat thread, and at a neat time for me. I'm trying to get re-motivated now that spring is finally here up in the great white north.

I decided to set some goals, but was left with the question "why?". I did a similar thing last summer with WOD times and stuff, worked my ass off, and hit them pretty quickly. I remember thinking "now what?". I guess I just wasn't ready to do what it takes to take my Helen time from 9:47 to 9:20 of my 5k from 24:10 to 23:00 because, aside from personal satisfaction, hitting those goals would translate very little into my overall, day-to-day existence (I am a 32 year old, balding married man - a six pack isn't enough to get myself into shape). I play no sports competitively anymore (nor do I have the time or urge to).

I guess it all falls back to living a long and healthy life, full of energy and free from the need for medications. I want to be running on the beach with my great grandchildren. But what does that translate into in terms of my workout routine today? (seriously, help me out - that wasn't a rhetorical question).
Jared Buffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Chris do you IF at all? With all this talk about slowed metabolism on IF...I find it EASIER to gain weight...as in why the hell would I want a fast metabolism if I am trying to put on pounds with the least amount of calorie intake? Just a thought....
I've found I end up close to the same whether I IF or not. If I'm not doing IF (or one day a week, about 24 hours, as I am now), I find it easier to keep calories up, with 3 hearty meals a day. But that keeps the metabolism fires stoked. If I IF 3 days a week, the metabolism slows, but with the reduced eating window I am not able to keep the calories up high enough while keeping the diet clean. So I can eat 3 times a day, fairly spread out, and spend a bit more on food while keeping my GI tract happy (clean diet). Or eat less frequently, but occasionally squeeze in shitty foods to keep calories up (pizza, etc.) which pisses off my GI tract. Even if I keep it clean, my GI tract seems to be bit happier with the 1-day-a-week IF as opposed to the 3 day variety.

I'm tinkering with the diet right now, trying to find somewhat normal ways of adding cals without getting too freakish. Slugging back coconut milk straight just doesn't seem too normal, you know? So I'll eat my two pounds of meat, eggs, avocados, etc. every day and see what happens.

I'd like to be heavier, but performance isn't terrible by any means. True, I'd like to be stronger, but I'm jumping and sprinting better than I have at any point in my life. I'll just keep lifting and tinkering with the diet and see what happens.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Buffie View Post
I remember thinking "now what?"
Exactly....why I never found happiness when all I did was worry about what BF...or how much to lift....or what did I weight....etc. There is always that "now what" moment....so I'd rather make it about the journey and know fitness if just one small part of it (an important part of course).

Quote:
(I am a 32 year old, balding married man - a six pack isn't enough to get myself into shape). I play no sports competitively anymore (nor do I have the time or urge to).
Get your butt out there on the ice....you know you miss it....or get that mountain bike out of storage. The competitive part is just all in our heads, as you can still play hockey for fun and do your best without getting all caught up in the need to win. As for the balding part....I could lend you some hair...at 36 seems that it just keeps growing!

Quote:
I guess it all falls back to living a long and healthy life, full of energy and free from the need for medications. I want to be running on the beach with my great grandchildren. But what does that translate into in terms of my workout routine today? (seriously, help me out - that wasn't a rhetorical question).
Very good question...I wonder that myself. Did a post a while back on whether too much of a metabolism was healthy (in terms of longevity). It was based on this study: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1010022316.htm

I agree that my fitness is more for fun nowadays....and focused on being healthy for a long time (minus crashing my mountain bike into a tree...)
Old 04-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
Jared Buffie

OD...

First, if you think there are guys living out their glory days in mens hockey in Georgia, you should see it up here! Way worse...

As for mountain biking, I'm in the prairies here. It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for a week.

BTW... I'm sitting here in my living room with my wife and her friend who is 31, single, loves you blog and is heading to Atlanta and wants to meet you. Any chance?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
OD...

First, if you think there are guys living out their glory days in mens hockey in Georgia, you should see it up here! Way worse...

As for mountain biking, I'm in the prairies here. It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for a week.

BTW... I'm sitting here in my living room with my wife and her friend who is 31, single, loves you blog and is heading to Atlanta and wants to meet you. Any chance?
Ha...glory days, funny enough this season my team is 0 and ....well everything....great lessons on how to enjoy the game and playing for the sake of playing...even when things are at their worst. As for the biking....well you could always start a new sport called prarie biking....it's those damn golpher holes you have to watch out for. If anyone wants to meet up while they are in Atlanta, I am more than happy to....just email me...or you know my number. If she is heading to Atlanta JUST to meet me....then I am scared as all hell!!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Jared Buffie

MOD, she's after your cash. I told her you're a professional message board poster and that you get paid $100 for every contribution here.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
MOD, she's after your cash. I told her you're a professional message board poster and that you get paid $100 for every contribution here.
I'm still waiting for Greg to send the check......