Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Bryan Friedman

Default Food Psychology - Transitionary Diet & Cravings

After doing some research I have decided that I want to eat a Paleo diet. Simplistic natural foods just really seem like the ticket. Unfortunately I have been eating a high carbohydrate/high glycemic diet for quite sometime. So over the last few days when I have attempted to implement my new diet I am good through lunch.

Then there is dinner. At dinner time I have been getting these insane cravings for starchy foods like noodles, rice and especially potatoes. While I try to avoid these items, these cravings have been getting the best of me.

It is extremely frustrating as I am really trying to turn my life around. I have my first child on the way and I really want to instill good eating habits in them, so they don't turn out like me (5'9" - 325lbs currently).

So how have you transitioned to better eating? Did you have any techniques, mental queues or tricks? Or was it sheer willpower.

It is so strange because I love training. I can change things up all the time and not have any mind issues behind it, but food is my Achilles Heel.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

-Bryan
Bryan Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Cravings go at some point...it's basically "carb" withdrawl. One theory is when you blood insulin levels are high (due to insulin resistance), then you crave more carbs. As you improve your resistance and lower you circulating insulin levels, you will get less and less cravings. There is a window of jsut "sucking it up" with lowered energy...but you are forcing the body to reteach itself how to use the fat metabolism for energy. Of course you don't want hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) either. Insulin resistance is going to be the key factor.

Also try a 24 hr IF fast once a week....like stop eating 6pm one day...and don't eat till 6pm the next. If 24 is too much then do what you can. Fasting also allows a certain "reset" to your metabolism. Whenver I do a long fast 24-32 hours (drinking water), it's not easy of course....but I start with some sugar cravings...and then I start craving meat and fat. The body knows what it needs to survive, and in stressful situations (as fasting is a stress), it takes over and tells you what to eat....mainly protein and fat as it needs that to survive. You don't need carbs to survive.

Be warned...once you "dive back into carbs"...you start the craving cycle over...so it is key to make sure that you do not overdo eating sugary carbs and start getting the cravings again. Sugar is just legal crack, and killing us slowly.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Bryan Friedman

Thanks Mike, that really puts it in perspective.

It sounds like I need to join CA (Carboholics Anonymous) because I'm addicted to Sugar/Starch.

I'll definitely give IFing a try. Great site by the way, the IFLife is very informative!
Bryan Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

You don't have to go zero carbs....just try and get most of them from more real sources that were around 10,000 years ago...aka Paleo...like fruits and vegetables. Look at it that you are not addicted to carbs....it's just your metabolism has been taught to use them for fuel over all the years....so now just retrain your system to use fat (as you want to burn your internal stores afterall)...as that is our the primal default. So "lower" carbs will be needed...and total daily calories must be in deficit to burn internal fat stores for fuel.