Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Chris Bardwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Battaglia View Post

In my situation, I have everything covered except for the community support. In fact, I usually have the exact opposite. Most people criticize my lifestyle, and I don't know if it's just because it's so different from theirs that they don't want to accept change or that they're jealous or envious of someone else finding and executing a path to happiness in the midst of an epidemic of miserable people. That's why I MUST get a CF gym running.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.
I feel you on this and am not sure what the solution is, or why people are so critical of the lifestyle we live, it leaves me confused and upset at times, even spurring me to rethink my lifestyle.
Chris Bardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Unfortunately I live in an environment (social speaking, not environmentally) that has strong forces pulling me toward people and situations with negativity written all over it. Hopefully once I get a CF gym running I can make my environment become a product of me, not the other way around.

they're jealous or envious of someone else finding and executing a path to happiness in the midst of an epidemic of miserable people. That's why I MUST get a CF gym running.
Negative people will always wonder why people are happy....as they want everyone to join their club...so the best thing to do, is don't care what anyone thinks....as that is really the problem, there will always be negative people around in the world...but it's how you react to them that is important...as you can not control others and their thoughts...don't waste time there....but you can control 100% of what you think....and if you happy on your personal journey...then who cares what others think...if they leave and go their own way, then let them go....positive energies will bring people of like mind around you....it will all work out. That and you can be happy right now no matter what is going on...it's all how you look at it. Anything that you do in the future will just compliment it...you don't "need" anything to be happy...you have all you need right now...just have to focus on it and realize it and that takes practice daily.....just focus on what you need to do now...and forget about what others are saying, as they have no more power over you from this point on...because that is what you choose.

I just did a thing on happiness...
http://projectfit.org/iflifeblog/200...appyright-now/
and if you are having trouble, read "The Power of Now" by E Tolle...an easy read and really has a great message on how to be happy.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Neal Winkler

For an argument against 100% paleo dieting I would look at the marginal utility.

How much of my life span and quality of life will be erased from 1 serving of un/low processed grains and dairy per week/month/day. 2 servings? 3 servings? Is the possible decrease in life span (due to the probability of getting a disease or accelerated aging) more or less valued than the pleasure/convienence gained at each increment?

Is the relationship between grains/dairy and quality/quantity of life linear or non-linear? If non-linear, then finding the threshold after which losses in quality/quantity of life begin would be important because before that the marginal utility would be zero (assuming you prefer eating grains/dairy to more paleo food), therefore it would be irrational to eat 100% paleo.

On the centarians front, Greg, are these populations with high centarians modernized in that they have access to better medical treatment and less dangerous lives than ancient/comtemporary HG's? Just having basic sanitization and anti-biotics will dramitically increase your life span.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Greg Battaglia

Mike,
Thanks, I read your blog post earlier. What a coincidence that this topic arose in two different places at once. I've been hearing a lot about E. Tolle. My girlfriend has the book, I'll be sure to borrow it.

I think my main problem is that I can't let go of the people who once had zest and have become good friends of mine. They're really good friends, but their lifestyles are completely at odds with mine, and their demeanors are beginning to change at this point due to poor lifestyle choices (drugs, alcohol, settling for unsatisfying jobs and a life of mediocrity, etc.) and their negative outlook really hampers my attitude. I realize that in the not-too-distant future I'm going to have to part with them and make a 100% commitment to my passion.

Neal,
I see what your saying. That's a tough question to answer. I don't know if anyone has the answer, and if not, I think it would be hard to uncover. Most of these Blue Zone cultures do indeed have good health care, however, not all of them do. The Nicoyans for instance do not have good health care at all. Despite this, they seem to avoid most, if not all, of the Syndrome X diseases. I guess that is a pretty good testament for the effectiveness of healthy lifestyle habits in preventive medicine.

On a side note, I've been really delving into the specifics of the overall lifestyles of centenarians and there are some very consistent similarities. For one, they all have something to live for; something to wake up to everyday. They have a driving force. Secondly, the all keep a positive outlook on life and tend to be very religious. If things are going good, good has blessed them, if not, it's not in their hands anyway (god will take care of everything, it's his plan, according to them). They also exercise a lot, but no the way most people do. Most centenarians do not deliberately exercise, it's simply a byproduct of their lifestyle. So rather than cranking out some muscle-ups for the sake of health and fitness, they engage in activities with an obvious purpose like mowing the lawn, gardening, or have jobs that require them to work vigorously. I hate to admit it, but the truth is that centenarians typically eat plant-based diet, although they are not vegetarians (except 7th Day Adventists in Limo Linda, CA). Their diets seem to be high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and particularly beans with meat as a side dish. The Okinawans follow the 80% rule. They eat until they're about 80% full and stop before feeling 100% satisfied (ie calorie restriction). They have close family ties and put family before everything else. They care about their family, and their families love them. They also don't have much stress and have leisure time after meals.

They only thing that surprised me here was the dietary pattern. It seems as though plant-based flexitarian diets are the norm among centenarians. You also can see this in American's who don't live in isolated centenarian societies. People like Jack Lalanne, Clarence Bass, and Bob Delmonteque (among others) seem have to achieved excellent levels of health and longevity eating this way. Art D. even seems to eat more of a plant-based diet than Cordain recommends. Maybe it's due to the fact that plants provide more volume for less calories than meat. A base yielding PRAL is probably a good reason as well.

I don't know, really. I'm a bit tired and probably just typed a big clutter of random thoughts. Sorry about that, but let me know what you guys think.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
Jay Cohen

Uh..........maybe time to move on, leave this interesting thread on a high note?
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #16
Chris Rice

As I was preparing for retirement, I read an interesting line. I have no idea as to it's truth but I liked it.
"If you retire FROM your job, you life expectancy is 2 years. If you retire TO something, your life expectancy is 20 years."
Retirement can give you the financial freedom to take that job you always wanted but you could never live on the money etc. In retirement, I have been able to help more people, feel more fulfilled, and do more things than I ever could while working two jobs to make ends meet all those years. Of course I work some every day, sometimes a lot, some times a little. I workout some everyday as well, anything from a serious weight workout to a walk to whatever. Variety has become a very integral part of life these days, and I think I like it much better than the old grind.
I notice all the examples of long lived people seem to be outside large cities where interactions with others takes on a different tone.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Mike,
Thanks, I read your blog post earlier. What a coincidence that this topic arose in two different places at once. I've been hearing a lot about E. Tolle. My girlfriend has the book, I'll be sure to borrow it.
Funny how things usually happen at the same time for a reason.....

Quote:
I think my main problem is that I can't let go of the people who once had zest and have become good friends of mine. They're really good friends, but their lifestyles are completely at odds with mine, and their demeanors are beginning to change at this point due to poor lifestyle choices (drugs, alcohol, settling for unsatisfying jobs and a life of mediocrity, etc.) and their negative outlook really hampers my attitude. I realize that in the not-too-distant future I'm going to have to part with them and make a 100% commitment to my passion.
Personally I think people use the "friends" term as a crutch to keep other people around. Nothing stays the same....so if people choose to go a certain way that is not in tune with your purpose/passions...and they choose that lifestyle...then it is time to say goodbye in a nice way. Just learn to say "No thanks" when they want you to go do stuff that you have no interest in....who cares what they say about you...just move on...you can make new friends every day that are more in line with your goals and lifestyle. Go live your life as a model for others....at some point years down the road maybe one of these past friends comes to you and says that they admire what you did with your life and want help from you...then you can embrace them back into your life. But don't focus on what others think or expect from you.....you will be left empty and unhappy inside if you do. Follow your true passions without anyone's approval...the rest of the world will transform around you.

Quote:
So rather than cranking out some muscle-ups for the sake of health and fitness, they engage in activities with an obvious purpose like mowing the lawn, gardening, or have jobs that require them to work vigorously.
Hence why lifestyle activities and shorter anaerobic/strength training is a better choice IMO. Longer sustain high HR aerobic activities (aka cardio) or high rep no weight high HR intervals for 20min take alot of calories to recover from...and eating 5000 cal a day is not a longevity plus. Slow and steady wins the race every time....except when you need that occasional burst of speed to get away from the tiger in your village....and if you can't outrun or find a tree to climb in 30seconds you are screwed anyways....you don't need 20min worth of endurance....as being eaten will take up the other 19min 30sec.

Quote:
I hate to admit it, but the truth is that centenarians typically eat plant-based diet, although they are not vegetarians (except 7th Day Adventists in Limo Linda, CA). Their diets seem to be high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and particularly beans with meat as a side dish.
Eating grains to a person who is in good health with a no stress lifestyle....compared to someone overweight with high BP and always stressed is always going to be 2 different things. Even if grains/gluten provide an inflammation response...person #1's system can probably handle it without any long term ill effects as the whole body stress level is low....person #2 can not as their whole body stress level is high and then excess grains will lead to more serious diseases. I still eat grains (mostly in the form of bread) here and there....but my baseline of health is probably far better than the average person in modernized society. Eat meat to maintain muscle...but as you fasting and CR, you learn you do not need as much anymore....so you can save and build muscle on less protein intake.

That and go enjoy life....stop sweating too much about the details that you probably already know the answers about....eat healthy, exercise, stay positive and find your purpose/passion....the rest takes care of itself.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #18
Steve Liberati

Mike, you should write a book. You have all the answers to life's problems.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #19
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
"If you retire FROM your job, you life expectancy is 2 years. If you retire TO something, your life expectancy is 20 years."
Why I retired 6 years ago (no I didn't win the lottery, I just wanted out of the whole idea of working a miserable job just to live life at 65) and now plan on doing work because I enjoy what I do...whatever it may be...for the next...Ohhhh.....60+ years hopefully.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Mike, you should write a book. You have all the answers to life's problems.
In the works....just been stalled on the Title for the last 5 years but after that....should be smooth sailing....nothing I invented or hasn't been said before in other books by people smarter than me....plus I could be full of crap but I'll never say it.

...I'll give you a shout out when I am on Oprah