Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Dan Heaney

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?P...LEEVES_KNEE_XT
Dan Heaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
Kris Reeves

I came across these posts comparing them:

http://irondogreview.blogspot.com/20...e-sleeves.html

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...d_knee_sleeves

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8096
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
Kris Reeves

OK, so the Rehband's came the other day from Jackal's Gym. With my straight leg measuring exactly at 39 cm I up-sized and went with the XL. I'm glad I up-sized because I had a bitch of a time getting these on. I think the L would've been too small.

Compared to the Ace Bandage brand....daylight and dark. The Ace brand essentially only provides warmth compared to these. These definitely offer a fair amount of support (plus more warmth obviously...since they are thicker). Plus they are made a lot better. They look like they'll last for years. Definitely happy with the purchase.

On a side note when I was trying them out I was also wearing my headband, Oly shoes and a pair of shorts that are apparently slightly on the short side....my wife felt it necessary to comment and said I looked pretty ghey. That made my night.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Derek Simonds

Yep I know the feeling. I took the kids to gymnastics one Saturday morning and all I did was slide the sleeves down to the top of my pulled up black socks and jump in the car sweat and all. I looked like some crazy flashdancer with blue suede do-wins. My kids were so proud.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Trevor Salmon

Default Tommy Kono sleeves

I Just got me knee sleeves today. I'm thinking they are more for getting the knees intially warmed up then I'll take them off and only use them again when the loads get heavy. Is this what most do?
Trevor Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Salmon View Post
I Just got me knee sleeves today. I'm thinking they are more for getting the knees intially warmed up then I'll take them off and only use them again when the loads get heavy. Is this what most do?
That is a good question. I am considering using knee sleeves. I have never had any knee problems before but I have never squatted in as much volume as I have in the last couple months since I started doing a hybrid Starting strength and Oly Lifting program. So I was thinking of starting to use them as a preventative maintenance measure.

I noticed some of the above posters were talking about the extra support they got from knee sleeves. I had thought these type of knee sleeves weren't intended for extra support but rather for the warmth and increased blood flow around the knee joint and also to give some sort of neural feedback that helps with the squat. For these reasons, if I was in between a size, I probably would have opted for the larger size since the point isn't really for support. Plus it would be counterproductive to have a smaller size that would restrict blood flow when the point of the knee sleeve is to increase blood flow.

But I am also here looking for advice on this subject before I begin using knee sleeves. I don't want them to weaken me like the weight belt used to. I stopped using a weight belt about 7 or 8 years ago. Before stopping the weight belt I always had back pain. Once I got off the weight belt my back has never felt better.
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #17
Kris Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Salmon View Post

Taking them on and off is a little bit of a pain in the ass (for me anyways)...gotta take the shoes off and put back on...too time consuming for me. As well, trying to slide wet neoprene back up and over is not as easy as putting them on dry.

I put them on before I start my warm up and wear them through anything that is 'knee intensive'. As soon as I've reached a point in the workout where I don't need them, I fold them down around my calves.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #18
Wade Smith

Follow-up: I posted earlier that my knees, as measured, were exactly the in between point between two sizes. I got ready to send the Rehbands back for the larger size, but then decided to go ahead and give the smaller (of the two sizes) a try. I'm glad I did decide to stay with the snugger smaller size.

Yes, they are slightly snug. But as one who has gone through long slow recovery from a knee issue in the recent past (patellar tendinitis), the "support" they offer, if just an emotional/confidence type support, is helpful to me.

Now I'm squatting, pistoling, and box jumping without issue.
Wade Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
Brian Lawyer

Any particular reason why nobody gets the valeo knee sleeves for $12 at the USAW store.

WFS, http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1

If the reason no one uses these is lack of support then let me know because I am not looking for support. I just want something to keep my knees warm so perhaps these would work well for me.
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Any particular reason why nobody gets the valeo knee sleeves for $12 at the USAW store.

WFS, http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1

If the reason no one uses these is lack of support then let me know because I am not looking for support. I just want something to keep my knees warm so perhaps these would work well for me.
Follow up. I got the above Valeo's and I have no complaints. I went with larges. I think the size is the correct size for me although I don't know that they were exactly designed for some one with enormously ripped quads like me....just kidding. Seriously, they fit a little loose below the knee cap but then could be a little larger for above the knee cap. I am constantly having to pull them up.

Maybe I am trying to wear them too high. I like to get them roughly about 2 inches above the top of my knee cap with a straight leg. I am wearing them right now and using a ruler. That gives me roughly about 4 inches from the bottom tip of the knee cap to the end of the knee sleeves on my shin.

As far as use, I used them when I was trying to set a new 1RM on Back squat. Then I put them on very sporadically if I feel my knees are getting over used. I've probably worn them 5 - 10 workouts in the last 2 months.

I will probably upgrade to those Rehband knee sleeves once I wear these ones out. I mean they were only a $24 investment for the two of them just to see if I liked using knee sleeves. Also, they sell Valeo at Academy Sports I noticed. Are there any retail stores that sell Rehbands?