Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Default Form Check on Snatch

Greg et. al,
Here's a video of example of me doing some Tall Snatches off a high box with at first 115, then 135. I was reading something in Craig Snyder's posts on snatch pulls about "the lay back" or "back bridge." I don't think I'm doing this at all.

Should I be?

in this video, I'm doing a tall power snatch, followed by two tall squat snatches, then three drop snatches.

I'm all ears as I'm a complete novice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52GsvpRwjOk

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Arden - you're really doing block snatches since you're starting from mid-thigh/above the knee - a tall snatch starts with your knees and hips completely extended already - it's ONLY the 3rd pull.

The movement of those looks really good - your weight is a tiny bit forward, but not much. I'd like to see you receive the bar a bit lower - more like 1/4 squat depth instead of standing straight up.

The snatch balances (drop snatches) are good but your weight is definitely too far forward - watch the bar - it drops forward, then drives forward, then settles forward - all slight, but the heavier it gets, the more problematic that will be. Keep your weight a little farther back on your foot and make sure that drive is completely vertical. Really with these, the dip/drive should be a quick pop rather than similar to the push press or jerk. Basically spaz for a split second to unload the bar to allow you to drive under - the less upward movement of the bar the better. Also, this may be a flexibility thing you're already working on, but the elbows are definitely soft.

Nice blocks!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Greg,
What does "soft elbows" mean?

I hear you on the forward part of the drop snatches. I'm doing some tomorrow and I'll work on exactly what you're saying.

I also hear you on recieving the bar lower. I'm working on that. It's coming slowly but surely. I'm finally to where I don't have to muscle snatch everything. It's a gradual progression.

When I first started getting stuff for my home gym, I didn't know what I was buying. All I knew was I wanted some good sturdy plio boxes and boy did I get top of the line. They are awesome. Not cheap; but a wise investment.

Thanks so much for your time and effort.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

When you receive the bar overhead your elbows aren't locked.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
When you receive the bar overhead your elbows aren't locked.

Gotcha. Thanks again.

As always, lots to work on.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Greg,
Did some drop snatches again today along with some complexes. The video attached is 115, then 135. Then 155. I tweaked my right quad with some instability or something on the 155, so I'm going to back off and let it heal. It's on my IT band, just above the knee. Doesn't hurt to walk or do shallow movements, but when I got into a full squat I can feel it. Slight muscle strain, so I'm gonna rest it and start over again next week. Probably stick with power movements until it's 100 percent.

In any event, here's the footage from today. I was working on trying to keep my weight back and not pulling so high. I got a few decent reps in here. But I've got a long way to go. I'm pretty sure I understand what I need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-zSCMiUVs

Thanks again,
Arden
Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

If there are lines in that flooring, get your toes right on one when you do each rep - you'll see that you're jumping forward a bit - work on staying behind the line everytime. With the drop snatches, it's in your dip - your weight shifts to your toes as you dip. With the snatches, you're bumping the bar out away from yourself. Keep your weight back a bit more and force your elbows to the sides as you pull under.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Gotcha.

thanks so much.

All the best,
Arden