Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Elliot, sounds like a sign that your metabolism is too good and you are doing way too many activities to get any bigger. Hence why the biggest guys may not be in the best metabolic conditioning...and smaller guys with great metabolic conditioning will not get any bigger. Simple energy in vs expediture.

Hockey is still a huge cal burn (2000+).

Right now I can not eat that much food....so I opted for only 3 days working out and no other planned activities (maybe some biking on the weekend). My conditioning has gone to crap...but then again that's easy to get back in my book. It's putting on the lbs that is a pain in the ass.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Elliot Royce

You know, Mike, I probably have the perfect body for hockey -- 6'3", 230lbs, long legs (femur is longer than my chest) -- too bad I didn't get the skill set to go with it.

What are you trying to get up to, weight-wise? Above 230lbs, it's probably counterproductive for my hockey but helpful for the O lifts.

All of this is for fun so I'm not going to obsess too much about it. I'm still the most solid guy in my adult league (the defenseman the other night said, "when you headed right for me, all I could think about was Brendan Shanahan") .

But I've discovered (with advice from you guys) my secret weapon, Mass Factor with Coconut milk (1100 calories per drink)!
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Mike ODonnell

I'm a wimpy 195lbs now....would love to get up around 215 and then start cutting back....Yes 230 is big for hockey.....look at the pros, most are 190-215 for the average forward who is 6" odd inches tall.....then again you have guys at 250...but they are not power forwards and probably have like 3 shifts a night to go punch someone's lights out.

God made me quicker...to get out of the way of guys 230lbs trying to take my head off.....sometimes I win.....sometimes I get another concussion.......sometimes I get another concussion....sometimes...wait....didn't I already say that??
Old 02-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
Elliot Royce

I think most of the younger guys out of college are coming in at 6'2" or above and get to 220lbs after a season or two, no? Of course, they manipulate the stats so maybe not.

Of course, I'd rather be Jason Blake than Charo. Anyone that small who can score that much is definitely cool.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

The stats are a little stretched sometimes...don't get me wrong....they are all muscle and low body fat....220 at 6'3" is reasonable....220 at 6'0", probably not (for a forward that is)...but they do keep getting bigger and bigger...go watch at ice level and you will see how big some of these guys are getting.....of course the stats are inflated and they lose about 15lbs during the season....

So if you are small by nature...better be fast and know how to shoot.....if you are big....better know how to hit hard and catch those damn little fast guys.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #16
Allison Barns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
L-Glutamine as an insulin stimulator (which is why you want high GI sugars for the anabolic affect) without adding the excess sugars to an insulin resistant person.

Mike - What do you mean here? What is an 'insulin stimulator' in this context?
Thanks!
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:21 AM   #17
Mike ODonnell

Honestly I never found anyone else but Poliquin to say this....but he believes that using large doses of Lglutamine (30g+) helped to release insulin by the body without needing all the sugar intake. A way for people who may be "carb sensitive" aka...put on the fat quicker with higher carbs or PWO sugar intake...to still use the insulin spike to help shuttle more protein into the muscles while also maintaining a lean body fat %. I honestly can't remember if he did add any additional carbs to the PWO drink for glycogen replenishment as well.

That's a little too expensive a trick for me to try out at this point....but Poliquin usually has some good results and experience to back up his claims.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Honestly I never found anyone else but Poliquin to say this....but he believes that using large doses of Lglutamine (30g+) helped to release insulin by the body without needing all the sugar intake. A way for people who may be "carb sensitive" aka...put on the fat quicker with higher carbs or PWO sugar intake...to still use the insulin spike to help shuttle more protein into the muscles while also maintaining a lean body fat %. I honestly can't remember if he did add any additional carbs to the PWO drink for glycogen replenishment as well.

That's a little too expensive a trick for me to try out at this point....but Poliquin usually has some good results and experience to back up his claims.
glutamine is also easily converted to glucose and i think can be of benefit with regards to glycogen replenishment...Ido? Ido?

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #19
Cassidy Drake

That's why Poliquin uses 15 grams PWO with no carbs.
Cassidy Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #20
Mike ODonnell

"So now we have theories for glutamine supplementation to increase protein synthesis/inhibit protein breakdown, as well as boost immunity following intense exercise. This sounds great, but we have yet to look at glutamine's potential effect to stimulate glycogen replenishment following exercise. Glutamine infusion has been shown to enhance glycogen stores following cycling exercise twice as much as compared to subjects who infused saline or other amino acids.(27) If this happened after weight training, it could even help with our cellular swelling and have the aforementioned postive effect on protein accretion.

Another study supports the use of glutamine for enhancing muscle glycogen. Bowtell et al. found that glutamine supplementation following exercise enhanced glycogen resynthesis in muscle just as well as the ingestion of a glucose polymer.(4)"
Dave Barr
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=230glut2

I also read the L-Glut also enhances the GH response...so either pwo or before bed would probably be the most ideal times?

Still wish I could find the original article with Poliquins PWO shake info....I want to say some carbs like 20-30g?? (in addition to the L-Glut)