Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 AM   #21
Allen Yeh

He could just drop the IF completely....
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #22
Dave Van Skike

ouch. good point.

must have glossed over that. for real, drop that IF stuff first.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #23
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
ouch. good point.

must have glossed over that. for real, drop that IF stuff first.
Right? Anyone who complains about not gaining mass while

a) doing IF
b) doing metcons

should be taken out to the horse stall and forced to guzzle heavy cream until he/she pukes. Then whipped with stinky singlets that were left in the corner of the gym for months.
The best instinct displayed above is the love of sleep. That's a muscle gainer the way metcons ain't.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #24
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Right? Anyone who complains about not gaining mass while

a) doing IF
b) doing metcons

should be taken out to the horse stall and forced to guzzle heavy cream until he/she pukes. Then whipped with stinky singlets that were left in the corner of the gym for months.
The best instinct displayed above is the love of sleep. That's a muscle gainer the way metcons ain't.
Amen bruv.

whaddya doin? aiming to get banned with all the logic.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #25
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Amen bruv.

whaddya doin? aiming to get banned with all the logic.
They've only banned religion so far, so if I stick to it's opposite, I should be ok.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #26
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
They've only banned religion so far, so if I stick to it's opposite, I should be ok.
Don't be an ass.

Re: Dave, Allen, John
What's the matter with IF? I was gaining mass well before with it; the issues came about when I found myself unable to keep up the food intake I was doing in my 5-7 hour window. However, Garrett's recommendation has helped that improve. So, as long as I am still managing enough calories (~4300), what's the problem?

Also, I have dropped MetCon entirely since the beginning of this thread.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #27
Garrett Smith

Nice work, Patrick. Glad the suggestion helped.

Carb fermentation in the gut makes one feel like heck.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #28
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Don't be an ass.

What's the matter with IF? I was gaining mass well before with it; the issues came about when I found myself unable to keep up the food intake I was doing in my 5-7 hour window. However, Garrett's recommendation has helped that improve. So, as long as I am still managing enough calories (~4300), what's the problem?

Are you getting any bigger? more muscular? if so, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with it.

If your not gaining and you aren't sure why IF might be kinda inhibitory of that process, I'll let someone more expert in IF explain it. But it has a little something to do with starting from the simple methods that have worked for ...I dunno..everyone, and then moving to the "cutting edge" paleo/"science"/new hotness.

not saying IF doesn't work for a lot of people, I've done it from tme to time and it works fine for weight loss, weening off of shitty foods, retraining your eating patterns.

mass gain? haven't seen that yet and it seems like a pain in the ass..or stomach in your case.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Don't be an ass.

Now now everyone....let's all play nice or I will start abusing my power as moderator for the first time.....

Patrick, of course the 2 things to always say for mass gain: eat more, exercise less....at some point you will find that point at which you put on weight. I love IF...but if you need to expand the window to uptake the calories, then do what you need to do. You can throw in a fast day 1-2x a week if you find it more convienent. And yes, all metcons should go if mass gain is your goal...or you will need 5000-6000 calories...which is a ton of food. I wish I could drink whole milk....as I would drink a gallon a day for mass gain...but last time I had a quart I had breathing issues for several days and spit up flem for a week....good stuff.

Gaining weight program: Take a gallon of whole milk...add flaxseed oil.....dump in some whey and egg protein.....wholla....one massive weight gain shake to sip on the whole day along with whole food meals. (it will work....no guarantees you won't feel like crap doing it though...) Workout a couple times a week....sleep....eat....and anything over the speed of walking for cardio is not allowed.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 04-25-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Regulation of metabolism (lowering it) with IF is definitely a valid way to gain mass although probably tough to get all those cals in during a short feeding window. As MOD said it might be a better thing to expand the feeding window a bit if you're having trouble choking down the cals.. although it seems you're fine for now.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote