Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
cori rock

Wink my paleo/zone project

I’m going to try this. I’ve never tracked my diet and workouts by actually writing it down and I’d like to try it for once to gauge my progress and see how my body reacts to different foods. Little backround:

5’8 / 150lbs / ~17% BF

PT: 3:1 CF plus 6/wk alt med lift and 20 min cardio 1 day/wk rest (will keep this same routine)

I’ve only been doing CF for 3 months (BTW…LOVE IT) but I’ve had a fairly rigorous workout regimen all my life really….except when I was a wee baby of course. That being said, I have never really tracked what I eat, just tried to stick to natural foods, fruits, veggies, whole grains and eat when hungry. That has left me fairly healthy but would like to revamp the routine.
I’ve been reading about paleo and zone for about 2 months now and I’m intrigued with how much diet can affect your workout progression. I’ve always been aware of it but too selfish to get rid of my random days of pizza, beer, chicken wings etc.
I’m ready to give this a shot…
For 2 weeks (as a practice run) I’m going for a paleo/zone mix with 14 blocks and see how I feel. My main issue is that I’m currently deployed and do not have access to certain things. However, after looking at certain options, I can definitely make due, though I’ll likely have to eat the same things day after day. Also, will not have access to grass fed beef or omega 3 eggs (don’t know how much that will impact my efforts, and would appreciate any feedback) The couple things I know I’ll miss is the oatmeal, peanut butter and cheese (though, due to lack of options, might have to work PB into the mix, don't know what impact that will have either)
I’m looking for as much advise as I can. Even after a lot of research I’m sure I’m going to be missing something so any help is appreciated.

goals: Primarily I just want to feel healthy with greater strength and endurance with out bulking up. Would also like to tune into my natural cravings, learn what my body needs and find that healthy balance.

17 Apr

B: 4 blocks
2 c lettuce
2c tomato
1c peppers (raw)
½ c olives
1 c celery
4 oz chicken breast
2 tsp olive oil

CF WOD

L: 4 blocks
2 c lettuce
2c brocc (cooked)
1c peppers (raw)
½ c olives
1 c celery (raw)
4 oz chicken breast
2 tsp olive oil

D: 5 blocks
5 HB eggs (not omega 3)
15 almonds
1 apple
1c tomoato (raw)

WORKOUT 2

At first glance I foresee a couple issues.
Lack of carbs (esp dinner as I had to use fruit to get my carb block and I want to stay away from that in the future and use veggies as much as possible to aviod the extra sugar)
Also added a little extra olive oil to counter lack of carbs (though 2 tsp still doesn’t seem like very much even for adding extra)

Missed 1 block today…whoops. Last meal caused a bit of a stomach ache...don't think I've ever had that many eggs in one sitting

Hoping to update this daily but it will depend on computer availability, please have patience with me
cori rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

If you're worried that you aren't getting enough carbs take your fire hardened stick and dig up some root vegetables the way our hunter-gatherer forebears would have done...... or you could just go to the store and buy some sweet potatoes.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
cori rock

18 Apr

After-thought for yesterday: 5 eggs = bad idea. Felt good until post workout when I had a belly ache like no other. Will limit the egg consumption next time (1-2 eggs per meal)!!!

Darryl, thanks for the reply but I didn’t think sweet potatoes were paleo…though it doesn’t matter since I don’t have access to sweet potatoes anyway….
I tell you what....I'm already missing my oatmeal with soymilk and bananas =(

1 c lettuce
1c tomato
1c cucumber
1 c celery
1 c broc/cauliflower (cooked)
4 oz beef
1 tsp olive oil

CF - rest

2 c lettuce
2c cauliflower (cooked)
½ c olives
1 c celery (raw)
4 oz chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil
½ c freeze dried apples

D: 4 blocks
2 HB eggs (not omega 3)
2 oz chicken breast
1c tomato
½ c cucumber
½ c peppers
¼ c olives
1 tsp olive oil
orange

think my blocks are a little off balanced....hmmmm, time got away from me and I only got 12
Old 04-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cori rock View Post
Darryl, thanks for the reply but I didn’t think sweet potatoes were paleo…though it doesn’t matter since I don’t have access to sweet potatoes anyway….
I tell you what....I'm already missing my oatmeal with soymilk and bananas =(
Cori, roots, shoots and tubers are as much part of the paleolithic diet as meat, fruit and green leafy vegetables. I know it's easy to get caught up in the whole is it/isn't it paleo debate but if there's one thing that defined the diet of stone age hunter-gatherers it's the incredible variety of wild plant and animal foods that were eaten so feel free to eat starchy fruit and vegetables if you want to, just remember that the key to good health is variety and as long as you don't allow any single food to dominate your diet you'll be fine.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
cori rock

19 April

My end of the day workout yesterday was ridiculous. Had no energy, might be my body getting used to a decrease in carbs but who knows. I felt a little run down this morning too but after my first meal (and a little coffee...if that's cheating then too bad) I was runnin fine.
I was going for a 2 week “shock” of the system in regard to eliminating starchy carb intake, but if my workouts suffer, I’m going to bring back my oatmeal with bananas and soymilk. However, I’m trying to be patient though and read my body’s needs.

2 c mixed steamed mixed veg
1c tomato
½ c carrot
½ c celery
4 oz chicken breast
15 almonds

Snack ; 2 blocks
Apple
6 almonds
2 oz turkey breast

CF WOD

1 c tomato
1c cucumber
½ c olives
1 c carrots
4 oz chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil
6 almonds
1 c grapes

Snack: 2 blocks
2 eggs
6 almonds
½ c grapes

Today I felt good, meals were filling but was a little tired during my CF WOD although it seemed decently strong.
Also, it looks like 12 blocks have been ok for me...or I'm miscalculating blocks.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Cori;

Considering entering your food intake into Fitday, then posting link.

Without seeing your macro breakdown and calorie intake, hard to make suggestions.

BTW, I'm still under the opinion that if you're training hard, 1200 cals aren't going to cut it. Period.

BTW,but it will "shock" the system, which is a good thing ???
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
cori rock

20 Apr - posted a little late

Woke up feeling good this morning, tired, but that is always expected for me. I was pretty hungry when I woke up but couldn’t eat for 2 ½ hrs (work constraints, not meaning to). However, I was satisfied after my first meal. I’ve also noticed I’m less bloated than when I was eating grains. I also know I was also eating WAY too many nuts for my own good before this, don’t think that helped with excess bloating either.

B: 4 blocks (8:00)
1 c lettuce
1c tomato
½ c carrot
½ c celery
1 tsp olive oil
4 oz roast beef
1 orange

Snack ;1 block (12:00)
½ orange
3 almonds
1 oz chicken breast

CF WOD

1 c lettuce
1 c tomato
1c cucumber
1/4 c olives
4 oz chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil

D: 3 blocks
3 eggs
12 almonds
1 pear
1 c carrots/celery

Felt great all day….maybe the starchy carb cravins are getting out of my system….for now anyway…..

Jay, I didn't think I was eating only ~1200 cal but I will plug everything into fitday to double check. I feel very full after my meals though. All the veggies really fill me up. Oh, and getting those eggs down are killer. My WOD yesterday was strong too so I don't know if this "shock" is really a bad thing. I only consider it a shock to my system because I've always eaten breads and whole grains as a consistant part of my diet. I wanted to do this to see how my body felt by cutting those out.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
cori rock

Jay, I did plug my servings into fitday, I’m at about 1300 cal. I really thought it was more than that. My p/c/f portions also look a little off. Too much fat and not enough carbs is what it’s saying. But, I still feel full after my meals so I’m going to stick to it. Will maybe try some tweeking here and there. Thanks for bringing that up. Maybe I should mention I'm female too so I don't know if that makes a difference in your advice...sometimes you can't tell from the name =)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
cori rock

21 apr

8 oz coffee (daily..forgot to add that before)

1 c lettuce
1c tomato
½ c carrot
½ c celery
1 tsp olive oil
4 oz chicken breast
12 almonds
1 orange

CF WOD

1 c lettuce
1 c tomato
1c cucumber
1/4 c olives
4 oz chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil
10 almonds
1 pear

D: 3 blocks
3 eggs
1 orange

FITDAY TOTALS: 1435 cals: 59g fat / 133g carb / 105g protein

Missed a couple things before, I think cal intake is fine.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #10
Jay Cohen

Cori;

Good job on using Fitday, it's not perfect, but a good tool for guidance.

Female cals definitly might be diff then male, so I'll concede the 1300-1500 range for an active female looking to drop some BF, but still stay strong and gain some lean mass.

Once you get diet dialed in, you might consider upping the fat blocks, lowering the carb blocks, but it's your call.

Have a super day, check out Mike's new blog, good stuff.
http://www.fitnessspotlight.net/

w/f/s
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote