Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Scott Kustes

Default What's a Good Vertical Leap?

A couple weeks back, I started training for the Bluegrass State Games Track and Field competition in July. As part of explosiveness training, I'm doing box jumps, but today I decided to measure my standing vertical to see what, if any, improvements there are over the next 13 weeks. Before I say what it is, what is considered a good vertical (don't want to taint people into saying "that's not bad" if it really is)? 20"? 25"? 30"? 35"?

Also, what's considered a respectable box jump?

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Box jumps aren't that great. As far as increasing your vert/broad stay away from there.

Don't go to failure in ANY plyo training. Sprinting definitely helps as will depth drops and other various bounding plyo. Minimize contact time in either eccentric-isometric or eccentric-concentric phases. Check out Kelly Baggett's stuff for this.

Is this like a regular competition or like a meet for like high school or college? Depends. Not sure why you want to increase vert as it's not a component of any event in T&F though... long jump and high jump are similar but not exactly the same with the latter requiring more technique at least a high school level probably.

30" is well above average for normal people. 36" is what I'd consider very good (most football players that need explosiveness are around there). Of course 40+ is like elite level..

Last edited by Steven Low : 04-19-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

It's an amateur event with age groups. The vertical jump is inconsequential to the track events...this is more of a general information question.

Fitness Spotlight
Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Box jumps aren't that great. As far as increasing your vert/broad stay away from there.

Don't go to failure in ANY plyo training. Sprinting definitely helps as will depth drops and other various bounding plyo. Minimize contact time in either eccentric-isometric or eccentric-concentric phases. Check out Kelly Baggett's stuff for this.

Is this like a regular competition or like a meet for like high school or college? Depends. Not sure why you want to increase vert as it's not a component of any event in T&F though... long jump and high jump are similar but not exactly the same with the latter requiring more technique at least a high school level probably.

30" is well above average for normal people. 36" is what I'd consider very good (most football players that need explosiveness are around there). Of course 40+ is like elite level..
what's wrong with box jumps?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
what's wrong with box jumps?
The way CF uses them... as a metcon exercise.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30586

Anyway, again, google Kelly Baggett and read his articles.

Last edited by Steven Low : 04-19-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

OH...yes, I am not using them as CF uses them. I am using them as maximum explosiveness. Measured today, my standing vertical is 27". That's no run-up, no drop step, just plant feet, dip and drive (not sure how verticals are typically measured...drop step? stationary?). PR on box jump today was 42", but I think I can go another 2-3" given that I can get high enough to make it well onto the box.

Fitness Spotlight
Old 04-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Okay, good.

There's different ways of testing vertical (from rebound, standing, one step then obviously the variations of one leg vs. two leg). So it really depends on what you're talking about.

Check out Kelly Baggett's stuff!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
The way CF uses them... as a metcon exercise.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30586

Anyway, again, google Kelly Baggett and read his articles.
Hmmm. Those look stupid, not what I was thinking of.

This is the box jump I was thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qsl3u59AqA at 20 seconds
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

hence why I stick to sports that require no vertical....

Box jumps are not all about the "true" verical power...as you can also jump on a higher box just by getting your feet higher. (aka bringing your knees more into your chest and not really improving overall vertical height....but then again...I can't jump)
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

True MOD, you can get a higher box without improving vertical. Box jumps are somewhat similar to cleans in the use of the hips (someone more intimate with cleans feel free to smack me for that) as you have to dip-quickly open and drive-quickly close, similar to the knee rebend-second pull-third pull. However, I think anyone that can get a 50" box jump is going to have a pretty impressive vertical as well.

Steven, going back and rereading Kelly's stuff. Is there something in particular that you think would be beneficial? As you talked about in that CF thread, my training is not focused on CF at all right now...very sport-specific. Most of my training days are short speed sessions, tempo runs, and speed-endurance (different days ), with lifting days focused on WSBB Max Effort and Dynamic Effort squats and deadlifts, with some supplemental hang power cleans, along with plyometrics. In fact, the only CF I'll be doing will be any WODs done at the certification this coming weekend.

Fitness Spotlight