Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-20-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
Michell Kaarne

Default Michell's log

Trying to type up something at least semi-interesting to start of this log while shoving my mouth with Cheerioes and yoghurt. Iím at the end of my 4th strict week on the AD and started my carb-load last night at 20:00 instead of this morning. Going to go for a 48h load this weekend.

Ok, since I couldnít come up with anything clever to write letís just start with some basic background stuff:

29 year old Swedish male living in a southern suburb of Stockholm with my girlfriend and our son who turns two in December.

Iíve wanted to have a log that I could access online for a while now, and as Iíve just changed up my workout schedule to fit my lunch breaks this was as good a time as any. I also think that posting on a public forum might get me to push myself a bit more.

Right now I have a one hour lunch break and a gym with Olympic bars, bumper plates etc at work so Iím trying to do a 5/2 split with short and intense workouts.

Feel free to critique my grammar and spelling if you feel Iím butchering your language.

Stats
  • 171cm, 5'7''
  • 66-69kg, 146-152lb (I thinkÖ)
  • Body fat around 14% maybe. Can see my upper two abs through the fat, sometimes I can even see my obloquies and almost my upper four, albeit I need to set the mood with some careful lighting and a water draining workout.
This was supposed to be
A log of my experience working out on a 5/2 split while on the Anabolic diet. I want to mix metcons/gpp-drills with ME days and some gymnastic moves, but most of all I want to have fun working out.

However. I ended up joining an Olympic lifting club and am building my training around my workouts there instead. As soon as I feel I have adapted to this training I may start adding in some lunch-break metcons again. For now, I have oly lifting on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. I do some Planche and Front Lever work a few hours before that. At the club I do what the coaches tell me but it goes something like this:

C&J or Snatch day:
1 Ė 2 limited rom drills with lighter weight (hang variations etc), something like 5 sets with low reps
5 sets (some times more), low reps of the full lift
3-5 sets of the lifts shrug variation
Then 5 sets, 3-5 reps of front/back squats

I donít worry about weight/rest. I rest until they tell me to lift and add weight when they tell me to add weight. I write down what I remember when I get home.

After that itís kind of free for all but they do want me to work lower back and abs. Pull-ups and dips seem to make them happy also witch is fine with me .
Stuff not in my log
Water: 2-4 litres a day.
Coffee: 1-2 cups of black coffee a day.
Supplements: I use a quality vitamin & mineral supplement and a teaspoon of creatine monohydrate from time to time as a pick-me-up.
Warm-up: I like jump rope, mobility drills, Crossfit type warm-ups or just using the lift Iím about to perform with light weights.
Michell Kaarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
Michell Kaarne

Monday 15 September
Fran Rx'd 23m18s
My first Fran ever! After the first 6 reps I failed to do a 7th thruster and thought I'd gone for too much weight. Was about to lower it but figured I should just push through and see how far I could go. Ended up finishing it eventually!

Diet
4 cans of tuna
450g frozen spinach
2tbs mayo
13tbs evoo
Tuesday 16 September
ME Squat Clean
From Full extension 5x20kg 3x22.5kg
From Hang 5x25kg 5x35kg 5x50kg
From Floor Failed repeated reps at 60kg
Hang shrug 5x60kg
From Floor 3x50kg
From Full extension 5x20kg
It's painfully obvious I need to find someone to teach me a proper clean. I have no way of recording myself atm but I think I am reverse curling rather then pulling under and not getting to full extension before doing so. I also have a really hard time getting under the bar as the weight gets closer to BW. I'll try to get to the local olympic club this weekend and see if they'll let me join. I'll try to work on my 3rd pull from full extension and hang to shrug with a broomstick at home.

Diet
150g feta cheese
750g ground beef
600g string beans
6tbs evoo
Wednesday 17 September
Really sore from the previous two days so I warmed up and did Ross Enamait's GPP#1 from Infinite Intensity as active recovery.
GPP#1 AMRAP

Burpees x 30s
Jumping Jacks x 30s
High Knee Dumbbell Press (5lb) x 30s
Shadow Box x 30s
Repeat entire circuit 5 times without rest
Been a few months since I last tried this and I really had to fight to finish it. Would have liked to do more work each round but I know I'll do much better next time.
Had time for a mini core circuit
2 rounds
DB Side bend 5x30kg (per side)
Back extension x10
Russian twist on an ab-bench 8x5kg (per side)

Diet
500g salmon
125g mozzarella
800g frozen broccoli
9tbs evoo
3tbs butter

Thursday 18 September
Really sore today. I was thinking of moving this workout to Fridays lunch break and do that days metcon after work but I got in an argument with a co-worker just before my lunch break and needed to let off steam
ME Deadlift
5x50kg 5x65kg 5x80kg
3x95kg 3x105kg 3x110kg
Failed 115kg
Took 21 minutes. Will rest more next time...

Diet
4 cans of tuna
450g frozen spinach
14tbs evoo
Friday 19 September
The Chief scaled PC to 50kg/110lb
15 rounds total (3,3,3,3,3).
Pulse was 200bpm right after, 1 minute later 170, 2m150, 3m145. Don't remember in-between rounds.

Diet
100g feta cheese
750g ground beef
3tbs butter

After 8pm
Multi grain Cheerios with natural yoghurt
Slice of beef pie
3 mini ice-cream cones
Crunchy cereal with yoghurt
Old 09-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Michell Kaarne

Saturday 20 September

Woke up full of energy and almost no soreness at all! I was expecting to wake up in pain after this week but there is none. Thought that the food choices of last night and today would put me in a sugar coma but they haven’t…weird.

About the diet

This weekend is my third carb-up since going on the Anabolic Diet for real. I was kind of doing it for two weeks prior to starting but once I read through the articles on stronglifts.com (safe) and the first 30 or so pages of the HUGE thread over at t-mag I got a bit more serious.

I count everything I eat (and drink) during the the low-carb days, but on the weekends I just eat. A lot.

I did the 12 day break-in at 2800 calories and then took it down to 2600 for the following two weeks. 2600 feels good so I’m going to stay there for at least two more weeks. I have no idea what I’m taking in over the weekends but I don’t care as my waist keeps shrinking and I look a bit bigger. Did I say I feel great? I do.

Both previous carb-ups were pretty much rice pasta and bread but this time I had a huge craving for cereal and it seems to be working out nice. Will have to see how this week goes of course, maybe I’m not that carb sensitive.

Diet, or lack there of…
More cheerios and yoghurt
More cereal and…yoghurt
Mascarpone ice cream
Beef pie
Thin crust pizza
Loads of candy

I do however feel a bit stuffed now. It's 10:30pm here so I have been loading for 28 hours and I don't feel like carbing untill 8pm tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll keep it to 36 hours this weekend after all and just get up early for a big bowl of cheerios
Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
Michell Kaarne

Sunday 21 September
Went by the local oly club but it was closed so I mailed the head coach when I got home.

Ended up carbing today after all...

Diet
Cheerios and yoghurt
Cheerios and yoghurt
Full grain pasta with ground beef and crŤme-fraiche
Cheerios and yoghurt
2 ham & cheese pirogues
2 beef, eggs & olive pirogues
A tiny tiramisu
A hand full of Milk duds

Did feel a bit lower then yesterday tho I still felt like working out, can't wait for tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Michell Kaarne

<B>Monday 22 September
Magic 50
5 circuits of:
5 DB Snatches / arm (20kg)
5 DB Swings / arm (20kg)
10 Burpees
Rest 60s

Took 13m27s

Farmerswalk 2x30kg DB
40s 30s 20s 10s

Diet
550g beef steak
800g cauliflower
Ĺ cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic
5tbs evoo

Tuesday 23 September
Morning:
Tuck planche 10s 8s 10s 10s
Advanced tuck lever 15s 15s

Lunch:
Advanced tuck lever 20s 6s

ME bench press
5x20kg 5x35kg 5x50kg 3x60kg 3x65kg 3x70kg
(last set was really 3 singles with 1-2 sec rest in rack)

After work:
Elevated tuck planche pushups 3x5 (anyhow)
Inverted hang row 1x3 (rings)
Tuck lever row 1x3 1x5 (rings)

Diet
150g Feta cheese
750g Ground beef
600g String beans
6tbs evoo

Wednesday 24 September
No workout. Want to be fresh on Thursday

Diet
500g salmon
100g cheese
1000g broccoli
9tbs evoo
3tbs butter

Thursday 25 September
Didnít make it to the oly club after allÖ L

Diet
150g feta cheese
750g ground beef
1000g broccoli
2tbs evoo
3tbs butter

Friday 26 September
Morning:
Adv(mostly) tuck planche
10s 8s 10s 10s 10s

Lunch:
ADV TUCK LEVER
15s 15s

Tabata Something Else
Pull-ups 10 7 5 4 3 3 1 1 = 34
Push-ups 15 11 9 7 6 6 5 6 = 65
Sit-ups 13 12 8 9 9 10 8 7 = 76
Squats 15 14 14 15 14 14 13 14 = 113
Total = 288

Diet
240g smoked kabanoss
6 eggs
250g beef steak
125g mozzarella
3tbs butter
3tbs vegetable oil
</B>
Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Frank Needham

Quote:
A log of my experience working out on a 5/2 split while on the Anabolic diet. I want to mix metcons/gpp-drills with ME days and some gymnastic moves, but most of all I want to have fun working out.
Sounds like good goals to me. Welcome aboard Michell and you can't possibly do worse with the language than we do. I'd wager that you speak more than your native tongue and ours right?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Welcome to the board.

Quote:
I also think that posting on a public forum might get me to push myself a bit more.
It took me a while to do it but posting your goals on a public forum will help push yourself a lot more. Best of luck.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Michell Kaarne

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
Sounds like good goals to me. Welcome aboard Michell and you can't possibly do worse with the language than we do. I'd wager that you speak more than your native tongue and ours right?
I do have more specific goals but this is really what I want to do right now. I wish I knew more languages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
It took me a while to do it but posting your goals on a public forum will help push yourself a lot more. Best of luck.

I think, the fact that likeminded people can pop in and look at your progress and thoughts is kind of a psychological kick in the ass. It's like someone is always watching...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Michell Kaarne

I got a mail from the oly club. I'm going to train with them on Thursday!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
Michell Kaarne

Week in re-view
This week went by a bit too fast. I had next to zero soreness all week but I also missed two workouts. I’m not going to make up for it this weekend though as I didn’t feel strong at all this week. I didn’t feel recovered when I started warming up for M50 on Monday so the workout was tough, especially the burpees. Tuesday was a bit better considering I haven’t benched in over a year. I’m hoping for a PR next time. In contrast, the push-up part of Tabata Something Else was a surprise. I rarely do them but two weeks ago I dropped down a few times and did 20 easy. Around 25 they started getting hard so I think I could have pushed to 35-40 but during Fridays workout I could only get to 15 on the first interval. Next week will be intresting…

Diet update
More red meat this week. Cals around 2600/day. Started carb-up at 8:00am today and will end at 8:00pm tomorrow. Waist and weight were both up this morning but I have a lot of food in my system atm...I did eat a lot of fibre Monday-Thursday but I also switched my hours at work which messed things up a bit.
Waist and weight
5/9 31.10” 66.6kg
13/9 30.71” 67kg
19/9 30.51” N/A
27/9 31.5” 67.2kg
My forearms, shoulders, chest, back and quads look a little bigger and more defined but my gut looks same as ever. I think I’ll go at least two more weeks at 2600 during the week (and “free for all” on the weekends). I don’t want to jump the gun and change things up more then I already have.