Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #21
Cal Jones

Thanks Allen.

Thursday was a rest day. Friday I intended to train but I was down to the dregs of my protein powder so had to ration myself (I never thought I'd get through two tubs of Metabolic Drive in less than two weeks) and felt too tired to train. I have more on order but had to run out last night and pick up some generic protein brand (a basic vanilla whey isolate with no aspartame) to keep me going until the new stuff arrives.
Felt very weak this morning (partly from lack of cals and partly from my cold) so I didn't push myself in the gym too hard.

Still, results are encouraging:

Weight: 10 stone 6 (146lbs/66.something kg - sorry forgot)
Chest: 36" (relaxed
Waist: 27"
Hips: 39"

I'm concerned about loose skin as dumping 8lbs in just under two weeks seems fast. My midsection does look more defined but the skin isn't tight. Given I'm 40 (41 next month) this bothers me. I don't want to be needing surgery to make my skin fit properly.
If any other ladies of similar age have lost weight like this, I'd be interested for your feedback.
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #22
Cal Jones

Week 3

I can't say I'm on strict V-Diet any more, though things are still moving in the right direction. I ran out of Low Carb Grow (or Metabolic Drive) so ordered more, which will arrive tomorrow, and got some regular protein powder. It actually tastes better (less nasty sweetener aftertaste) but doesn't mix as well, and doesn't seem to give me as much energy.

Three day weekend for me. Saturday described above. Sunday I rested. Now the problem is, when I am at work, I have access to ice, so I just go down to the kitchen, mix some powder and water, throw in a few ice cubes and I have a palatable beverage. At home I don't have ice (my flat is small - I have a tiny fridge with a tiny ice box that is already full of other food) so have to remember to leave a glass of water in the fridge. And I often forget. Whenever I forget I eat a mini can of tuna and a blob of pesto instead. I like pesto and it gives me some good fats and makes the tuna taste better.

In the evenings on Saturday, Sunday and last night I also had a meal of spring greens and beef. Just felt I needed it. I tried to go for a run on Monday and got just over a mile in and realised my tank was completely empty. Normally I run 3 miles with no problem, but I had to turn around and go home. I don't know if this because I'm still getting over a nasty cold (it's all gone now but I'm tired), or the fact my diet contains almost no carbs, but I was slayed.

I am going to attempt the gym tonight but I won't push too hard. Just some weights, no metcon. As long as I losing weight, I'm reasonably content - my holiday is in just under 4 weeks so I've enough time to drop some more.
More Lo Carb Grow arrive tomorrow so may do a few more all V-Diet days, no tuna, but the taste of that stuff is pretty vile.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 AM   #23
Cal Jones

I've been lacking energy the last few days. I notice my heart seems to be beating harder when I do anything strenuous. I'm not unduly concerned as I've read (somewhere on this forum) that this can happen with low carb diets, but it is rather putting the kybosh on any kind of metcon or harder workouts. At the moment I'm just doing a basic lifting routine with plenty of rest between sets.
I'll also say that vanilla Metabolic Drive (Low Carb Grow) is just as foul as chocolate. It's the sweeteners. Augh! The whey isolate I bought as a stop gap last weekend, though hardly a gastronomic delight, tastes a hell of a lot better. I'm wondering if I should just buy that in future - however I felt a lot better when I was on the Metbolic Drive in terms of energy.
One side effect of this diet is that I've really lost my lust for food. I am eating solid food but usually it's just a small can of tuna (eaten straight from the can with a fork) and a blob of pesto sauce for flavour.
I've just been through PMS and haven't had the huge food (mainly carb) cravings I normally get. It's like I don't really care about eating any more. For me, a former compulsive eater, that's really quite bizarre.
I've also successfully kicked my 40 stick a day chewing gum habit. I hardly think about gum now. Given the amount I used to get through, that is quite something.
My waist is down to 26.5 inches. Hips are still 39. The joys of being a pear! I look better, though, which is the whole point.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #24
Cal Jones

10 stone 5 (145lbs) today. A much smaller loss but it's still heading in the right direction. If only I had more energy but my sleep is really poor, and the weather is also muggy.
I bought a steak for dinner. Thought I needed the iron, maybe.

Gym was OK. I was going to do a spot of deadlifting but I'd not taken my chalk and my hands kept slipping off the bar so I didn't try more than 80kg. Did a couple of sets of clean and press then some bench pressing. I did a single with 70kg, using a spotter. If I went from a complete standstill at the bottom then I'd have been hard pressed to shift it, but I'm still happy with my progress. No shoulder pain, which is the main thing.
Finished with a couple of sets of dips and gravitron pull-ups.

Problem I'm having is I'm so carb-depleted that it takes my heart ages to slow after a set, and anything involving overhead movement really takes it out of me. I get quite light headed so I really have to pace myself. My stamina is shot to hell, but the strength is still there, at least.

I tried on the clothes that had got too tight, and they all fit now. I still have more fat than I'd like but I'm back to around where I'd like to be. I'll keep going though, and see where that gets me. Likelihood is my theme park holiday will put me back some - hard to avoid crappy food under those circumstances - but as long as it's just a couple of pounds and not half a stone, I'm cool with that. Three weeks to go.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #25
Allen Yeh

I know it doesn't sound cool, but can;t you bring shake stuff with you? When we would get ready to go to the mall my wife and I would both have 2 shakes ready, one right before we left and one to have at the mall when everyone else was eating.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #26
Tirzah Harper

FWIW I ended up eating mostly "puddings" because I didn't really care for the shake texture. I'd just mix in enough water to make it thick and spoonable and then eat. No ice needed that way.
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #27
Cal Jones

Allen - it's not at all practical. It'll take up a huge amount of luggage room, and we are on a coach for hours most days and a different hotel every night - lots of late finishes and early starts. I likely won't have access to drinkable water (I don't consider American hotel room water drinkable - it tastes like swimming pools. Blech).
Besides, I'm losing weight for the holiday...once I'm there I want to be able to have a nice meal or two and the odd ice cream. I'll stay well away from stuff like funnel cakes though.

Tirzah - yeah I've done the "pudding" thing too though Low Carb Grow is foul however you mix it. It's just the taste of the sweeteners.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #28
Cal Jones

At work yesterday, then hit the gym for 400m of lunges on a treadmill. Protein shakes during the day; can of tuna over watercress and rocket for dinner.

I did not sleep at all well last night and feel extremely tired today though I'm due to lift some weights this evening. Hopefully I won't keel over, especially as I forgot to take my Hot Rox.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #29
Cal Jones

Things are going pretty well, still. I went out with friends on Wednesday night so we chose a sushi place. I ate mainly sashimi and vegetables - but I had three little pieces of unagi sushi which is the first starchy carbs I've had in...ages.
Yesterday I was full of energy and hit the gym for some power clean and presses, benches (can easily do 10 reps with 50kg now, and 4-5 with 60kg and a spotter) plus some dips and assisted pull-ups.
My hips and thighs are slowly coming down (the jeans that had become a little tight are now loose) but if I stand under a bright light I can also see signs of a six pack starting to develop.
Only had protein shakes yesterday, which was fine, and probably will today.
Of course, I'm now really concerned about how much progress I'll lose when I go on holiday, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, as they say.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #30
Cal Jones

Progress has slowed. In fact, the scale didn't budge last week. I'm not sure I can eat less than I do at the moment. I certainly can't work out harder - even normal lifting taxes me to the point I worry about greying out.
I did get a 45-50 minute run in this lunchtime and it felt great, so aerobically at least, things seem to be fine...it's just intense stuff I am struggling with.
Less than two weeks until my holiday and I'm still not happy with how I look, although my clothes are now loose and my waist is greatly improved. My sort of problem is not easily fixed, though (at least, not without a surgeon).
Have had to order more Metabolic Drive and Hot Rox. I can't believe how quickly I go through the powder. And there was me thinking it was cheaper than buying groceries!