Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Special Populations

Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Ashley Collinsworth

Default Lupus and Fibromyalgia?

Hi Everyone,

I have a question in regards to a client of mine. The client has both Lupus and Fibromyalgia and I was hoping to get some input from anyone who might have one of these conditions or has worked with someone who has them. What are some things that I should look out for when training a client with these conditions? Right now I am focusing on giving her a good workout without overdoing it and causing a flare up. However, aside from trying to not over do it I am having a hard time finding out more information in regards to training. I would appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks so much!

Ashley
Ashley Collinsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Have worked with plenty of people like that in the past, energy levels (not wearing them out) and not making the muscles too sore is a HUGE concern to have. So very slow and very steady. They usually need more slow-go cardio if overweight and moderate weights, nothing too high reps either. Work on more strength...stay away from the glycolitic draining training as it wear them out.

Autoimmune disorders need alot of attention to diet. Google "leaky gut" and "autoimmune" disorders. I also did a whole post on Gut health based alot on the premise of leaky gut. Many of my past clients saw good results once they started to clean up the diet, the ones that wouldn't clean up their diets....well I am sure are still having major issues.

Flare ups do happen....so you have to do your best to manage your workouts around them. It can be a longer road back to health for some people like this....especially if they are taking lots of medicine....but as long as they are making progress that is what counts.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 07-16-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
John Velandra

Thanks Mike for your input. We're starting to see more folks with Lupus. I've worked with quite a few folks with Fibro and CFS, but that's a new one. Now we have a start point to do more research.

Doc G & Robb, any thoughts?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Probiotics and Fish Oil are probably the top 2 supplements they need in their diet.....that and a doctor that can work with them to lower their perscription meds (slowly of course). It's hard to battle for good health when some people are taking 6-8 different types of meds that are just causing havock inside the gut and liver.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Ashley Collinsworth

Default Thanks!

Thanks Mike! The information you gave was very helpful and I really enjoyed reading your post on "leaky gut". It gave me a much better idea of what is going on with my clients body and also gave me a good place to start researching more. I will definitely talk with my client about the probiotics as well as the fish oil.
Ashley Collinsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Collinsworth View Post
I will definitely talk with my client about the probiotics as well as the fish oil.
Make sure they also work with their Rhuematologist when combining supplements (esp fish oil that can thin the blood) with medications. Most Drs know about the anti-inflammatory effects of fish oil by now.....but always tell you client to check with the Dr first, as you don't want any adverse reactions and always play CYA (Cover Your Ass) for liability issues. Much like my advice on here....just informational and I am not a Dr...so don't listen to me (CYA done).

I am sure you can google Leaky Gut and Lupus, Fibro, Rheumatoid Arthritis....etc....will see loads of info out there, but I did my post to pretty much sum it all up quickly. Gut Health is a top priority....that and getting off meds eventually (as they won't stay healthy if they are always taking meds...too much damage going on...esp to the liver).

This is also a good site to read through (or have your clients read through also):
http://www.leakygut.co.uk/

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 07-18-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

No gluten.
No casein.
No nightshades. None.
Exercise.
Fresh air.
Plenty of real sunlight on uncovered skin.
Eat your vegetables.
Eat your good fats.
Eat your good proteins.
Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. No electromagnetic fields (cell phones, things plugged into the wall) within 6 feet of one's head while in bed.
Figure out how to get stress relief, or at least managing stress in some way.

After that, which will likely clear up 90%+ of the issues at hand, I would then utilize some homeopathic remedies to do the subtle balancing of the body systems.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Tariq Kassum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Plenty of real sunlight on uncovered skin.
Photosensitivity is one of the hallmark signs of lupus. I would keep a lupus patient out of the sun.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec18/ch214/ch214c.html
Tariq Kassum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

If photosensitivity is an issue with this particular person, whether from the lupus or any medications they are taking, then stay out of the sun until that part clears up, then get some real sun.

Humans need sun to be healthy. If someone has a health issue that is negatively affected by sun exposure, there are serious issues at hand.

Avoiding the sun is one of the major factors in disease today, IMO. This could have played a role in the development of this issue for this person as well.

Just like exercise, gradual introductions are warranted (ie. not starting with heavy weights after an injury, not jumping into long or intense midday bouts of sun exposure if overly sensitive).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote