Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Yet another Starting Strength question...

Im coming to the end of my third week of Starting Strength. After week 4, I was going to add in pullups/chins and dips as described in this breakdown of Starting Strength; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=99822. I was also going to add in clean pulls to practice as an additional exercsie for Fridays since I decided to replace the cleans with rows since Im not very used to barbell cleans and, while the above description says do arm work on Fridays, I dont care to much about asthetics.

My question is, at the end of the 4th week. Should I just continue into week 5, keep progressing the same and what not, and just add in the assistance work (note, Im already doing weighted hanging leg raises for abdominal work)? Should I drop the weight by x% at the start of the 5th week and progress back up from there and add in the assistance exercises? Or should I take a week off, do bodyweight only stuff or maybe just random GPP stuff, and then go back to the barbell, with the assistance exercises, at x% of my last weight?

Why Ive exercised off and on for that last few years, never stuck with a single program this long (very, very sad, I know) and I dont know anything about periodization (sp?), deweighting, etc, etc, so a little advice whould be appreciated.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

The link you gave gives a discussion about 1-AD?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Why don't you buy SS, so you can read Rip's stuff advice on this? No offense or anything.. but seriously.

Keep going with linearized gains as long as you can. Subbing is okay *IF* it somehow fits one of your goals. Otherwise, it's better to man up and learn the exercise(s) correctly because the ones he prescribes will give you the most benefits.

There is NO reason for you to worry about periodization unless your squads and deads are above 2-2.5x your bodyweight.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Dave Paton

Who was it that said that when you start subbing in and out different exercises than the ones prescribed in the program, that...you aren't actually doing the program anymore????
Dave Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
a little advice whould be appreciated.
STOP
F***ING
WITH
THE
PROGRAM.

You're welcome.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Brandon Enos

A) here is the right link sorry; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

B) I do have starting strength, and maybe I just missed it, but Rippetoe doesnt really go into deep detail about adding assistance work, he just mentions it.

C) In the write up, it talks about why it is so important to have a coach for power cleans. He also mentions how Rippetoe, in both Practical Programming for Strength Training and in Starting Strength (ed. II), says that without a coach or at least some expierence in the lift, power cleans shouldnt be attempted, but subbed for pullups/chinups and/or rows.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...0&postcount=13 (question 3 on the page)
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
John Alston

Strengthmill.net is Rip's forum where he has a Q&A where you can ask him yourself.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

As for number 3, I don't think Rip has ever said not to do cleans for someone with a pathology that would keep them from doing cleans.

As far as the benefits for cleans I would suggest
http://strengthmill.net/forum/showth...ghlight=cleans

As for whether you should actully clean

But most importantly read

You could go strength mill forum and do a search on cleans and llok at all the videos where Rip explains clean form.
Jamie J. Skibicki is offline   Reply With Quote