Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
Allen Yeh

I vote for walk.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #32
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
OK MOD...I'm going to resurrect this for one more clarification:

In your experience, if I have a half-hour to spend in exercise and I've already done metcon or weights workout that day, is it better for fat loss to walk for that half-hour, or run? (By running...I can make about an 8.5-minute mile now, which is a great improvement over past years.)
Or sprints. I don't care. If I'm going to get out on the road for half an hour, what's the most effective pace, in your experience?
Thanks....

1/2 hour? That's easy.

Meal planning.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #33
Tirzah Harper

Heh, yeah, veg prep!
Alan - why walking over running, when running burns more calories? Are we back to the cortisol thing again?

Dave, good point, I'll keep that in mind.
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
OK MOD...I'm going to resurrect this for one more clarification:

In your experience, if I have a half-hour to spend in exercise and I've already done metcon or weights workout that day, is it better for fat loss to walk for that half-hour, or run? (By running...I can make about an 8.5-minute mile now, which is a great improvement over past years.)
Or sprints. I don't care. If I'm going to get out on the road for half an hour, what's the most effective pace, in your experience?
Thanks....
Are you talking immediate after a metcon or strength? Or like later in the day after already eating a couple meals since the workout?

As for saying running burns more calories....who's assuming that you are even burning any fat for that period of time and not a large amount of glycogen? (timing of the workout and what you eat dictate that)

Really the pace will depend on:
- When you are doing it around your workouts
- What you eat (for the day, in general, low carb, zone)

Honestly...if you want to run...and it sounds like you do....after your metcon and weights....pop some aminos and a Vit C and go do what you enjoy (whether it is a slow run, biking, run fast/walk intervals...whatever)....aminos should help combat any threat of muscle loss and Vit C can help keep cortisol levels a bit lower. That and do your workouts fasted while having some coffee before hand. (I'd say you could always do what most professional BB do when cutting and use the ECA stack...but I think that is no longer an option)

If just burning calories always burned fat and diet didn't matter....Richard Simmons and Aerobics would of solved obesity 20 years ago.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell; 05-15-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #35
Tirzah Harper

I generally do intense stuff early in the morning - I've taken to having 1/2 c. homemade kefir with my vitamins pre-workout and heading out the door; it feels okay, FWIW.
Later in the day - lunch or dinner - is when I have a little more time to get outside. I don't *like* running per se; it's more along the lines of attacking my weaknesses than having fun - that and, to generalize terribly, when you see people out there, the fat ones are walking and the thin ones are running. To my brain, that's translated to, I should run vs. walk.

So if a calorie is not a calorie, does this also mean that a calorie burned is not necessarily a calorie burned? I mean, wouldn't the glycogen get replaced from SOMETHING if you're burning the energy? - or am I way off?

How I eat...not IF, not paleo, not Zone. More like Michael Pollan "mostly plants", mostly unprocessed. Sometimes whole grains, some dairy, veggies, fruits, I try to get meat in there every day, desserts on weekend, beer/wine with dinner in moderation. Today breakfast was a fruit-and-veg smoothie with coconut milk and lunch is a hunk of sirloin steak with leftover parsnips/sweet potatoes with a little cream from last night. Lots of salads for lunch. I aim for trying to keep my protein & fat cals about equal to each other, and both of those greater than my carb cals.
But damned if I know what I'm doing some days. Heh. I must look like I know what I'm eating though because my affiliate dude asked me to write an article on nutrition for their newsletter.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #36
Tirzah Harper

Just an update -
I've been taking a lot of the advice given on here, started iodine & adrenal supplements, dropped most metcon, am tracking foods & counting calories - and the combination is finally starting to work.
So thanks all!

Still a long way to go to 8% though...just kidding about the 8% thing!!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #37
Garrett Smith

Nice job, Tirzah...keep us updated.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #38
Jane Michel

lol!
sounds like things are starting to move tirzah.
exactly what sort of changes have you made? and what's your caloric intake and breakdown like?

Quote:
to generalize terribly, when you see people out there, the fat ones are walking and the thin ones are running. To my brain, that's translated to, I should run vs. walk.
this affects me too :|
Old 06-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #39
Tirzah Harper

my dailyplate food log

Let's see...what am I doing?

I'm working to keep my total daily calories at the level that the dailyplate site says is 500 calories under maintenance for my weight.

I try to get calories from fat, protein, and carbs, in that order and from whole foods sources (beer is a whole food, as man CAN live on beer alone. I hope.).

I'm generally not eating a whole lot of gluten, and that may have inadvertently been the cause of the cure of the cold urticaria that I started getting last year.

I don't know what the iodine is doing - it's pretty behind-the-scenes, as I understand - but the adrenal supplement is rocking my world right now, because I feel like myself again for the first time this year: I can handle stress!

I've dropped metcons and running (my "get better at running" goal is temporarily on hold) and am still doing weights workouts, just at a slower pace/more rest between sets.

Sleep is about the same, i.e., I get enough but not plenty.

I don't know if it's any one thing or a combination, or what it took to finally get the fat burning vs. storing, but I'm down about two pounds in a month, I think, which is a huge thing for me considering how long I've been seeing NO results! And I've still got the muscles, which is good.

Oh, and I've also gone to IF'ing on weekdays - I eat from around 11 to 7, roughly and variably. That gives me tea at morning workouts, then later on a cup of kefir with cinnamon; then I can have a 2 p.m. "lunch" and supper without having to eat insanely small meals.

And ALSO I'm following the "no-s" guidelines, which is "no snacks, no sweets, no seconds except on Saturdays, Sundays, or special days." This keeps eating under calorie limits a LOT easier for me, and the food tracking.

so who knows? It's working. Finally. And I relax on the weekends (hence the absence of food logs then) and eat as life leads, in some degree of moderation.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #40
Tirzah Harper

Good grief, it's still working...I'm down three pounds from when I started the supplements Dr. G recommended. And I'm not even watching what I eat as carefully as I used to.
It's so good to feel like myself again. I wouldn't have thought that stress would have been THAT powerful on me. Lesson learned.