Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Default Question about dynamic speed lifts and it's affect upon speed strength reserves....

Hello all,
Maybe this is a question for Greg, or anyone who wants to chime in. As many know, I compete in lumberjack sports for a hobby. It's a sport predicated upon hand eye coordination and hand speed. I got into olympic lifting to make myself faster and It's had great carryover. However, as my season is fastly approaching and my event training volume increasing, I'm finding myself increasingly tired and having absoltuely no "snap" in either my event training sessions or my olympic lifting training sessions.

I've been bantering this back in forth with colleagues and coaches and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I need to step back from the speed lifts for a little bit and concentrate on my speed event training. Keep on working on ME strength movements (front squat, deads, push presses, squats, ohs, pull ups, hspu, etc...) but back away from c&J and snatches.

I really respect all the folk who take the time to post thoughts and offer advice here and I would appreciate any input anyone may have.

Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Take a slow week....rest...recover...work on skill stuff only. That would be my recommendation.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 05-02-2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Keeping it simple from now on...to appease the masses....yeah....thats it....
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Well it's either adrenal fatigue, leaky gut or nightshades.

How's the IF? Zone blocks? enough tabata's?

or......maybe it's the obvious stuff.

Were I in your generously sized shoes, I'd dance with the girl what brung me. I'd go back to the basics, take a couple rest days and then a couple play days.

Drop the volume (you are so freaking strong you're not going to lose ME strength) adn jsut play it. at most singles and doubles as awarm up for your events and then do the events.

I always have the impulse to hammer my weaknesses well past the point where I'm gettign better. The best thing for me, once I start obviously regressing opr losign snap is to drop volume and go back to stuff I'm good at for a while and just play it. All that shit levels out.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Arden -

Typical competition prep involves systematically reducing volume (and usually loading) and moving more into sport-specific skill work. So a few weeks out, I'd start cutting back on the o-lifts - singles only, fewer sets - basically just some maintenance work.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Mike, Dave, and Greg,
Thank you so much for your thought and effort. Makes perfect sense in what you've written. I've backed off the past few days and I'm already feeling better. I'm doing a demo tomorrow, and event training with some friends and my daughter on Sunday. But no weights until Monday.

I really think I fried my CNS and was in adrenal fatigue. The past four weeks, I've been doing complexes for both my snatch and c&j warm ups (power, hang, full). On my snatch day, I'd do the complex, then three drop snatches with the weight. I'd do these things every other day and even train on days I didn't lift. I think I really need to cut the complexes out for a while.

Dave, very good points and thanks for the kind words. Time to go back to my bread and butter training for a bit. Oh, that does not mean I'm going to do a bicep curl of any sort. Phil and I often joke about training biceps and, given your background and training, I think you'll get the joke.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's time.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It's like trying to train sprints everyday.... you can't do it.

Not necessarily adrenal fatigue but something similar of the sort. Probably CNS/sympathetic blunted response.

Speaking of which on a similar note I have a link to a study on my other comp about 1 RM only training consecutive days in a row leading to overtraining. I'll post it next time I get the chance.

Last edited by Steven Low : 05-02-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
Steve Rogers

Dan John's book "From the Ground Up" at http://danjohn.org/book.html covers the use of Olympic lifts for sports strength training. If you haven't read it, I think you'd find it worth your time. Particularly note page 35 on recovery, page 57 on in season training, and page 66 on year round training. While the book is gear towards lifting and trhrowing, it should be applicable to the lumberjack events.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Get your sleep.

Reduce the number of long sets (ie. GS KB work) unless it is directly related to your SPP.

Work more on technique stuff.

Don't overdo it this close to your events. The benefits from taking care of your CNS and adrenals will far outweigh any reductions in training volume at this point.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/85/6/2352

Quote:
Weight-trained men [OT ; n = 11; age = 22.0 0.9 (SE) yr] resistance trained daily at 100% one-repetition maximum (1-RM) intensity for 2 wk, resulting in 1-RM strength decrements and in an overtrained state. A control group (Con; n = 6; age = 23.7 2.4 yr) trained 1 day/wk at a low relative intensity (50% 1 RM). After 2 wk, the OT group exhibited slightly increased exercise-induced testosterone (preexercise = 26.5 1.3 nmol/l, postexercise = 29.1 5.9 nmol/l) and testosterone-to-cortisol ratio (preexercise = 0.049 0.007 nmol/l, postexercise = 0.061 0.006 nmol/l) and decreased exercise-induced cortisol (preexercise = 656.1 98.1 nmol/l, postexercise = 503.1 39.7 nmol/l). Serum concentrations for growth hormone and plasma peptide F [preproenkephalin (107---140)] were similar for both groups throughout the overtraining period. This hormonal profile is distinctly different from what has been previously reported for other types of overtraining, indicating that high-relative-intensity resistance exercise overtraining may not be successfully monitered via circulating testosterone and cortisol. Unlike overtraining conditions with endurance athletes, altered resting concentrations of pituitary, adrenal, or gonadal hormones were not evident, and exercise-induced concentrations were only modestly affected.

muscular strength; testosterone; cortisol; growth hormone; peptide F
Possible "CNS fatigue" due to unaltered hormones from 1 RM training daily.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Mark Fenner

As others have said, you likely need to reduce your non-specific work to maintenance levels (for both Oly and ME lifts) and focus (70-80% of your volume/time) on events. This will allow for the "long term delayed effect" of training ... i.e., your fatigue will dissipate and your performance will rise.

One other point, you stated that hand speed is quite important for lumberjack games. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it now (for the close competition), but in future training remember that speed is a separate physiological, trainable (and detrainable) characteristic. ME will train muscular ability (pure strength), Oly/Dynamic/Plyos will train power (various strength-speed, speed-strength levels), but you may want to program specific exercises for development/maintenance of "pure" speed.

I'm no expert on lumberjack games (in fact, I'm basically ignorant of them), but the picture of log rolling brings to mind "pure" foot speed. Things like side-to-side hops (very light, very quick: 30+ doubles in 15s) with one or two legs, single stair (or 2x4) step-up/step-downs (again, quick) might help you work speed in a "general" way. Of course, you must still transfer this speed with event training. But, you don't need a ton of work to maintain: a few sets as part of your warm-up will help maintain "pure speed" while you are focusing on power and strength. As Dan John was discussing on T-Nation, these are also a nice warm up because they prime the CNS (Dan was using short sprints).

(I place "pure speed" in quotes because you are still working against some part of your body weight -- thus, we're pushing back towards strength. True pure speed might be foot tapping while seated.)

For hand speed, shadow boxing can work nicely. Hitting a (heavy) target moves more towards strength because you have to stiffen to transfer force from your body to the target. Various games with tennis balls (partner drops a ball, you catch it; partner throws ball against wall from behind you, you have to react and catch it) can also do this. Juggling might work as well.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote