I've been IFing for around two tweeks now. 8 hour feeding window 5 days a week as per the advice of Mike ODonnell. And I have to admit, I'm loving it.
I was zoning before, and although fat kept coming off, performance wise I was at a plateu and my squat and bench numbers were actually dropping.
I then started IF with the zone and started to feel what I thought was increased performance. Then I gradually started moving towards more of a paleo diet. Less carbs than the zone, more meet, less dairy, more vegetables. And I've never felt better. Maybe it's too early to tell, but I definitely feel alot better than when I was just zoning.
I was thinking about dropping the zone altogether for a more paleo oriented lifestyle.
I'd love a few comments on what I'm doing and suggestions on where to improve/add up on my diet.
Currently my goals are performance, first and foremost. The Zone body fat calculator puts me at an 8% body fat at 155lbs. Although I'm not sure how accurate that is. Basically all of my fat has always been at my waist, though, and since it's based around a waist-wrist measurement it's at the very least a good progress indicator. That being said, I would of course love to add some muscle mass and drop a couple of more body fat percentages. Those goals are secondary to performance, though.
Now here's what I'd like comments on:
- Most of my meat intake comes from ground beef, lean pork, chicken or (rarely) canned tuna.
- Veggies consist mostly of broccoli (along with most all meals) and mushroom with fruits such as a few grapes or part of an apple thrown in once in a while.
- I designed a protein shake in the zone proportions while on the zone and still sometimes fall back to that for a meal replacement. It consists of whole milk, semi-skimmed milk, protein powder (with some sugars) and peanut butter.
- Speaking of dairy, I tend to add cheese to some meals (rarely though).
- My workouts often tend to end around the time when it's time to break my fast, for those days, I've been considering supplementing with whey protein in orange juice but I'm not sure how much sense that makes or if it would conflict with some of my goals.
- Whole milk. Rippetoe swears by it, should I consider adding a liter (~quarter of a gallon) to my diet each day to facilitate some muscle growth?
- Scrambeld eggs are occasionally my source of protein for a meal.
- I'm a 21 year old student who doesn't have much experience in the kitchen. I usually coat my meat with olive oil once I'm done cooking but I also don't use it sparingly at all while frying stuff. Should I avoid that?
- Salt and seasonings, what's the stance on that?
- My mother suggested I boil my broccoli for just a short while before eating it or frying it. Does this negate some or most of its nutritional value?
- Cheat meals have been occuring 1-2 times per week in the form of a large Subway and some soda or the like. Should I worry about this?
- I supplement with multivitamin and omega-3 along with a teaspoon of creatine monohydrate before I go to bed.
I would love comments on any or all of the above points from you nutritional gurus. On what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, what could go better, anything.