Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Steve Forman

Default Paleo 101

Does anyone modify the paleo diet. What I mean is do you eat beans, natural peanut butter, those types of things/products? I mean the books also says to avoid green beans, peas. Shoot I eat a lot green beans, its a veggie!

The book says to avoid. do you?

Does anyone have a modified list of foods that they eat or a sample of a weeks worth of food. I would love too see what your eating.

Thanks
Steve Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Forman View Post

The book says to avoid. do you?
Does anyone have a modified list of foods that they eat or a sample of a weeks worth of food. I would love too see what your eating.

Thanks
I stay fairly strict, except for Kefir.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Chris Bardwell

I eat "Zen Paleo" its mainly paleo but with:

-Organic Yoghurt
-Olives
-Occasional rice or pasta or bread (rare occurrence or when it cannot be avoided, usually a cheat)
-Cream, butter and cheese all organic, usually from farmers market
-Also add sea salt to my food

BTW Zen Paleo is a name I made up, keeps me sane trying to eat well in this disalusioned and malnourished world.
Chris Bardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Steve Forman

Jay,

thanks for the link to your fitday. I notice you are drinking milk?? thats not strict can you explain. (Im not slamming either) you are pretty darn strict. I am just trying to figure out were to bend the rules.

I loves me some late in the morning.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Steve;
Fair question.
I have a source for great raw milk at 4 bucks a gallon. When I started Coach Rips' SS program, I needed to add a few lbs, did not really want to do "shakes" and since I had Kefir grains in the freezer and really enjoy the benefits of Fermented foods, decided to add Kefir to my diet, along with Kimchi, Komubcha Tea. Much cheaper then taking Probiotics via pill.
So, Milk is not Paleo, agree, but as of now, I'm enjoying it's benifits.
If I did not have a source for Raw, I would not drink store bought.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bardwell View Post
I eat "Zen Paleo" its mainly paleo but with:

-Organic Yoghurt
-Olives
-Occasional rice or pasta or bread (rare occurrence or when it cannot be avoided, usually a cheat)
-Cream, butter and cheese all organic, usually from farmers market
-Also add sea salt to my food

BTW Zen Paleo is a name I made up, keeps me sane trying to eat well in this disalusioned and malnourished world.
Wait, Olives are a no-no? I think they are fine?

I add grass-fed butter...otherwise I keep my kitchen paleo but break it when I go out to eat sushi (1x week), or if someone has a really good block of brie... I also drink (3-4 drinks/week)...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Steve Forman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Steve;
Fair question.
I have a source for great raw milk at 4 bucks a gallon. When I started Coach Rips' SS program, I needed to add a few lbs, did not really want to do "shakes" and since I had Kefir grains in the freezer and really enjoy the benefits of Fermented foods, decided to add Kefir to my diet, along with Kimchi, Komubcha Tea. Much cheaper then taking Probiotics via pill.
So, Milk is not Paleo, agree, but as of now, I'm enjoying it's benifits.
If I did not have a source for Raw, I would not drink store bought.

Thanks for that clarification Jay, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Wait, Olives are a no-no? I think they are fine?

I add grass-fed butter...otherwise I keep my kitchen paleo but break it when I go out to eat sushi (1x week), or if someone has a really good block of brie... I also drink (3-4 drinks/week)...
Okay Ari, I am no expert, just learning. Olives (according the list on the web based on the book.) are on the Foods to avoid list, containing salt.

now lets talk drinks. 3-4 a week??? Wine, beer, hard liquer. If you dont mind asking what are you drinking.

Man I excited about starting this way of life. I have been doing Zone for a year and have hit a plateau, I am going to do this and IF to shake things up. I also started Fitday today. Bummer though, I just ate 1 cup of pecans and entered it. Found out it has 700 or so calories. WTF. I still have a hard time with that. I'll post my macros after my first day on fitday and trying to paleo.

steve
Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

70% Whole foods (meat, fats, fruits, veg, rice on occasion....mostly meat and fat)
10% Bread (usually in the form of wraps)
10% Beer/Wings
10%....Whatever life has to offer

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 05-08-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
sarena kopciel

Pretty strict here. Occas raw grassfed kefir though, some olives (occas organic), sometimes dark or raw chocolate, sea salt, are eaten!!
I do not use nuts (or rarely), legumes or grains. Oh and also an occas shake with hemp, flax, maca (indiv or in combo) protein powder.

My cheats are extra fruits and chocolates. I used fitday and its great but I am fed up with being anal; I know I suffer though. But I do post most of my food with pics on my blog!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Forman View Post
Thanks for that clarification Jay, I appreciate it.

Okay Ari, I am no expert, just learning. Olives (according the list on the web based on the book.) are on the Foods to avoid list, containing salt.

now lets talk drinks. 3-4 a week??? Wine, beer, hard liquer. If you dont mind asking what are you drinking.

Man I excited about starting this way of life. I have been doing Zone for a year and have hit a plateau, I am going to do this and IF to shake things up. I also started Fitday today. Bummer though, I just ate 1 cup of pecans and entered it. Found out it has 700 or so calories. WTF. I still have a hard time with that. I'll post my macros after my first day on fitday and trying to paleo.

steve
When I said drinks: 3-4 a week...I meant alcoholic...almost always wine... never really developed a taste for hard liquor and only if the beer is good i'll drink it...rare in graduate school... I drink about a gallon of water/tea a day though.
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote