Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
Derek Simonds

Question BJJ and Training

I have read a whole ton of info on this topic here and at several different forums and I am trying to put together a plan for strength and GPP training that complements my BJJ.

I am not a MMA competitor. I train BJJ 2 - 3 times a week when I am in town (I travel with my job and don't always know when I will be home or gone). Some days I will go to the 11:00 am class and the 6:30 PM class (like today). I do Muay Thai at least once a week for additional training and because I love it.

My overall endurance is good and my strength has been improving. I am competent in the oly lifts. I have been doing xfit WOD's consistently for the last 9 months. I feel my largest area of weakness is in my strength.

I really liked the idea's shared in the thread on metcon and OLAD (DJ copyright duly noted ). I also loved the ideas in the complexes thread. I read Starting Strength and was toying with using that as a base for my strength work and suplementing with metcon. I guess the best part is that I found so many great things over the last couple of months that variety shouldn't be a problem.

I have an obsessive personality so I tend to overdo it on the training, I imagine I am not the only one like that on this board.. My concern is how to stagger or integrate my BJJ training with my strength and GPP work. I am trying to decide how to classify the BJJ training in regards to work and recovery. I go hard in class and when I am done I am soaked in sweat but I am not exhausted or overly sore the next day.

I have tried to be as complete as I can and if anyone needs additional information I will gladly respond. Based on the ideas thrown around I am willing to share my results with on the board for everyones use.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Derek

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Robb Wolf

Derek-
I'd highly recommend the ME-Black Box work that Coach Rutherford has produced. If you follow it you will allow for adequate recovery for training, push your 1RM efforts up and this will drive your WOD's further. I think his son took 3rd in state using this system and a wicked double leg take-down.
Keep us posted on how you proceed!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Derek Simonds

Ok Robb I am in. Now just a little point in the right direction for the details. I googled and hit several different links so I got the jist but nothing specific. I also looked at the back issues of Performance Menu and it looks like issue 7 might be the one. Is that the best place to get the whole program outlined?

If Coach Rut has a different spot that I should access the information I will go there. I searched the bootcampfitness site and his blog to no avail.

I hate asking stupid questions. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

I purchased volume 7 read the results then went back and bought volume 3. I also did a lot more googling and found some real interesting threads on another forum with a lot of great information (some of the posts were from Robb).

I am using the template from volume 3 starting today. It doesn't hurt that yesterdays WOD was HSC's 10 X 1.

I will keep you posted on the results.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

Sounds good Derek!
Do you have any plans for a tournament?

Robb's Blog
Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Derek Simonds

I find that I am highly competitive so I am probably going to pick one for 2007 and have a go at it. My main source of competition comes from sprint triathlons and 5K's.

I love muay thai except for the whole getting hit in the face part. If it wasn't for that I would be boxing in competitions.

I will keep you posted as far as the progress.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 AM
Josh Whiting
This message has been deleted by Josh Whiting.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Robb Wolf

Josh-
On a maintainance level I'd say stick with max effort work, as you near a competition (2-3 months) shift towards some WOD type met-cons time indexed for your competition (think Fight Gone Bad: 5 minutes of work, 1 minute of rest). You are doing a mountain of sport specific work that is highly demanding, that may be enough.
Perhaps Rutman and some other folks can chime in here if they see some better approaches?

Robb's Blog
Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Josh Whiting
Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
Robb Wolf

Josh-
Looks good. I'd make the conditioning sessions of similar or shorter duration to tournament timing. 3min rounds with 1 min rest? Shorter rounds can be done to work higher intensity. think about the Fight gone Bad format and then do some tinkering. One possibility:
1 minute of DB snatches, alternating every 10 from arm to arm
1minute box jumps
1minute body rows
1min rest
3-5 rounds

Time indexing your training to your event is super important IMO and these short circuits really lend themselves to this.

Robb's Blog
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Josh Whiting
Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Robb Wolf

Josh-
If recovery is the main concern I'd shoot for the lover volume higher intensity approach of somehting like 8x2@80-90%. I'd say anything in the 1-3 rep range and %'s 80-95.

1st exposure to the movement perhaps:
8x3@85%
2nd exposure
8x2@90%
change movement.
Just some ideas.

BTW-
I like your idea about shifting gears when the movement powers down...sounds like you have a power bias!

Robb's Blog
Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Josh Whiting