Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
cori rock

Default bloated all the time...stress and exercise?

Oh, I need some help. For the last month Iíve been extremely bloated and have digestion problems. I got great results when I was doing a paleo/zone type diet for 3 weeks and since then Iíve been mostly sticking to a paleo diet. Since then I started having the above mentioned problem and canít figure it out.
There is a chance Iíve over exercised and over worked while adding an increased stress level. My sleep patterns are fine, I only seem have a little trouble falling asleep if I donít exhaust myself during my workout. Iíve even gone to the doc to see if I had any other medical issues that were causing this, but my tests came out normal. Iím at a loss.
A normal day, I eat healthy paleo, CF 5-6 days a week and work 12hrs/day 7 days a week ( Itís a desk job and I just sit at an computer all day).
I donít want to let up on my workouts because I really love CF and want to keep up my tempo because Iíve seen great results and I REALLY donít want to lose the gains I made, but this stomach problem is making it hard to get through the workouts. I admit Iím not as physiologically smart to know how to tackle this problem, any advice will help.
cori rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
cori rock

i forgot to mention I'm a 27 y/o female. I know that makes a difference in terms of hormone levels and such.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

I'm guessing someone with more knowledge than I is going to say something along the lines of: "fix the gut".

Personally, whenever I have any sort of GI distress, I immediately launch into a fast. Anywhere from 19-30 hours depending on when I start it and how long it takes me to get past it.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
cori rock

derrick, thanks, I was actually thinking about doing a fast, even though I hate fasting. It just seems like I need to have SOME kind of detox to fix my gut issue.
So a true fast would be JUST water right?? eeesh
Old 05-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Derek Weaver

Cori,
I am no IF guru, but yes, only water. Some will say a bit of coffee or herbal tea, but I'd think that if your gut's bothering you, then you wouldn't want caffeine in there.

Not sure how probiotics and the like would fit in, but that may be something you'd want to check out.

I'd definitely start with a fast though. If the symptoms go away, then maybe you just needed a break from food to let the gut heal and cleanse.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Have you done any antibiotics recently, or have you done any probiotics since the last time you took antibiotics? Either way, probiotics are a good place to start (PM me if you're interested in the type I recommend).

Otherwise, good starting points:

Less metcon, both in duration and volume.

No gluten. No nightshades (search the board if you don't know what they are).

If you eat the same foods day in and day out, you should try to find other ones to rotate in.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cori rock View Post
derrick, thanks, I was actually thinking about doing a fast, even though I hate fasting. It just seems like I need to have SOME kind of detox to fix my gut issue.
So a true fast would be JUST water right?? eeesh
Fasting is the quickest way to allow the body to do internal cleanup/housework/detox.....lemon and water and it doesn't have to be for days either. Drink plenty of water too....as your body is responding to hold onto water for some reason....so if you up your intake you are signaling that it doesn't need to hold onto it and you have more coming in to replace....or at least it sounds good and theory and has worked for some people.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
cori rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Have you done any antibiotics recently, or have you done any probiotics since the last time you took antibiotics? Either way, probiotics are a good place to start (PM me if you're interested in the type I recommend).

Otherwise, good starting points:

Less metcon, both in duration and volume.

No gluten. No nightshades (search the board if you don't know what they are).

If you eat the same foods day in and day out, you should try to find other ones to rotate in.

No, no Antibiotics for me. I do have some probiotics and so far they haven't seemed to have helped. It's funny that you mention eating a different variety of foods cause I really do eat about the same foods everyday. Will that make the stomach rebel??? Right now I'm kinda stuck when it comes to the food I eat because I'm deployed and I eat as much good foods as I can, but they don't offer a whole lot that isn't driping with grease. So I eat salads with chicken (occasional beef) and oilive oil, veggies, fruit, lot of tomatoes (like 2 a day) but those are nightshades right?
Thanks all, I may try a fast and seeif that helps. Any recommendations as to how long? Derek, you said 19-30 hours but it depends on how you feel? Would I fast till my stomach feels better cause I'm thinking hunger pangs will cause me to miss that part. Ha, sorry, I'm not good at fasting.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

If you're deployed, parasites may be an issue, not that they couldn't be if you were in the States either...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Cori,
The 19-30 hour fast is just how I've done it when my gut starts to rebel. Toy around with what works for you. If you are making progress in your symptoms then continue along so long as you're not so hungry you eat your own hand. If you gotta eat, then eat. Getting well is a progressive thing.