Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

You could always try eating watermellon for a day.....loads of water in it and also a natural diuretic....and tastes great on a hot summers day
Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
cori rock

ha, thanks for the advice guys. I'm convinced and going to try this water fast thing (even though it may be rough). I need to do SOMETHING and that seems like a logical start. I'm all about natural fixes to problems like this. I'll post an update on how well that worked out...I hope the gut can flush out and fix itself.
I'm also wondering your opinions on those month long detox packs (colon clense and such) that are supposed to get all the "tar like" waste out of the digestive track. Do those put your digestive system into "roller-coaster" mode?
cori rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you're stressed all the time... high cortisol.. is going to make you generally feeling like crap, keep significant fat mass on and possibly stay bloated.

Just another thing to throw into the mix; try to eliminate as much stress as you can.

If it is due to overreaching you will probably start to see decreased performance (unless you're totally new to fitness in which case newbie gains might outweight everything) so if you back off working out for 3-4 days you can generally recover. That should help if it is overworking.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
cori rock

Thanks steven. Yes, my performance level has decreased, has been for at least 3 weeks. The WODS are hard to get through, I drag during most of them, and my times are getting worse. Most of it has to do with the fact that I feel like crap and my belly wants to explode when I'm doing them. I've been pretty active my whole life, big into all sports and not a stranger to overworking my body, but I have never had a problem like this.
And you're right. There's NO doubt that stress is a factor and I can recognize that clearly. How you lower your stress level, I really don't know. Dr. G also said I should tone down the metcon type workout regiment but I hate to lose what I've gained (except for the belly bloat that makes me look like I'm pregnant). I really don't know how to regulate cortisol levels, never really thought about it since high stress was never really a factor before.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

While you take your 3-4 days off, I would get in some sort of low intensity stuff. In this case, probably walking. Use the time to clear your head and calm.

Otherwise, google relaxation techniques etc. and get in as much quiet alone time as you can get, which is probably difficult while deployed.

As for detox packs. I think they're pointless. The colon is a self cleansing organ. With a fast of some sort, plenty of water and proper diet it should be fine.

I know that some overdo metcon, but a lot of people are doing very well following the mainsite WOD. It's all up to how your recovery is IMO. If you still can't recover after your back off period, it's time to adjust your programming. I think this is more of a "down the road" thought. Get your gut right first then worry about your fitness.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Peh, if your performance has been dropping for 3 weeks you probably need 5-6 days off. What Derek said though... active recovery is good. VERY light jog. Hydrate well. Massages will help & foam rolling. etc.

Lower stress level = eliminate things that are stressing you. For example, emotions are a big part I don't know if you're angry or worrying or anything but those can definitely affect. Physically obviously enough. Relationship issues. Etc.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
Garrett Smith

The stress/cortisol potential connection to your situation:

Investigating the role of perceived stress on bacterial flora activity and salivary cortisol secretion: a possible mechanism underlying susceptibility to illness.

Gastrointestinal symptoms are associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis suppression in healthy individuals.

As has been said, take some time off, and when you come back do more strength and less metcon for a while. If you feel better, it means your adrenals needed the break.

Not everyone is built to handle the metcon load of CF as Rx'd. Not everyone is built to be a PLer or a marathon runner either. You need to make it work for you, not the other way around.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
cori rock

I just wanted to follow up and say you guys are GENIUS!! Well, I did a 26 hr water fast (ok, with a tich of coffee and decaf tea) and I didn't get my normal late afternoon/into the evening stomach cramps. The stomach is still tender but soo much better, I'm not keeled over in pain anymore. However, I'm hoping that once I resume my normal easting cycle, those won't come ack but we sill see. Might have to try a fast every so often to slowly cleanse the system. Also, does anyone have suggestions for easy on the stomach food options? I do have limited resources and usually eat A LOT of veggies, but I'm thinking that veggies might make my problems come back.

I'm also takin it easy on the workouts. I took a brisk 30 min walk yesterday and might do the same today and tomorrow. Time for the body to heal so I'm takin a break. I'm going to listen to my body to see when I should get my metcon back on track
Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

Glad to hear you're getting some relief. I don't fast every day, or even 5 days/week. I fast if I have eaten any kind of junk, and then at least one more maintenance fast/week. Usually anything from 2-4 days/week with 4 being the absolute top end. Otherwise I may kinda skip meals etc. It's all about eating intuitively.

I would suggest a food diary to keep track of what gets your gut all worked up. It may not be the veggies... but I would guess that if you're eating "A LOT", you may be getting a bit too much roughage (is that spelled right?).

Any nuts in the diet? Those can get you twisted up too.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Derek is right in you should get a food journal and start slowly re-introducing different food groups back in (start with fruits and vegetables, as those should be ok...well most of them). You need to start finding out what foods work for you...and what ones do not. Of course stay away from the usual allergen suspects of wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, corn, peanuts. Fruits should be easy to digest. Also supplementing with L-Glutamine and fish oil can help repair the intestines. Fasting is a good idea once in a while for routine maintenance and cleaning. You can also get some other healthy gut ideas here. The key is taking control and realizing which foods are the issues....and getting rid of them. Takes some time, but I think your health is worth the effort.