Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
cori rock

You know, I was dreading the water fast and I actually didn't mean to start the fast either. I realized after about 16 hours (includes 7 hours sleep time) that I hadn't eaten in awhile so I just carried it on the rest of the day. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. After eating well yesterday (mostly fruit, veggies, an omlet) my stomach is way better than it was before (still tender but NOTHING like it was). I was thinking I should try to incorporate the water fast more often, maybe once a week. Now that I've gotten through one, I realize it's really not that difficult.
I also think nuts have added to the problem. Even when I was doing my 2 week zone/paleo diet, http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2387
nuts had made my stomach a little uneasy (but I LOVE them). Since then I've gone mostly paleo (with occasional oatmeal), no dairy, and I increased my nut and and dried fruit intake. Even though they are WONDERFUL, I did notice they seemed to unsettle me a little so I'm going to stay way from those for awhile and see what happens.
Thanks again for all your help, I would be interested in more information and tips on fasts (how to do them effectively and safely) Mike, I wasn't able to get that link to work but I want to check it out later, thanks.
cori rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #22
Derek Weaver

When you get a chance I'd strongly suggest looking through all of the content on Mike's blog here (w/f/s of course).

The one tip I have for fasting is that once you begin to lose mental clarity (if it happens) then it's time to cut the fast. I notice that this happens more if I fast following a cheat meal/day (which I always do). Personally, if I have eaten clean, then I can fast for much longer and feel great throughout.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
Ari Kestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post

The one tip I have for fasting is that once you begin to lose mental clarity (if it happens) then it's time to cut the fast. I notice that this happens more if I fast following a cheat meal/day (which I always do). Personally, if I have eaten clean, then I can fast for much longer and feel great throughout.
Nearly Identical experience. I'm sure it's cause most cheat meals by definition have more sugar than I am used to on a normal basis.
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Nearly Identical experience. I'm sure it's cause most cheat meals by definition have more sugar than I am used to on a normal basis.
If people had cheat meals of more meat....I doubt we would have an obesity epidemic! Ha.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #25
Derek Weaver

Mike,
Somewhere a vegan just started crying.

Ari,
I agree. If I go for icecream or some sort of other high carb cheat like pizza, pasta, or a burger and fries, I get hit hard twice by it. One by the initial sugar load, and the second during the fast.

I remember a post where Devany was discussing beating carb cravings by fasting for a day. He said it helped reduce insulin, in turn increasing insulin sensitivity, and use up the extra sugar in the blood. That makes sense to me, but it can be unpleasant to deal with after not too much time.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
Garrett Smith

I'm always amazed that I still crave carbs the morning after a night of carb cheating, one would think overnight was enough time for things to normalize...

Very hard to fast after too many carbs or junk food...sometimes I just try to push through it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #27
cori rock

It is crazy how I never even thought to try fasting after those cheat days. It seems like such an easy concept. Maybe I just didn't WANT to fast because it sounds like such a dreadful way to spend a day (not gonna lie, I'd rather have my meals). I am wondering what the benefits are for fasting after cheat days. Is it the best way to counter so-called "damage done"?
cori rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #28
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cori rock View Post
It is crazy how I never even thought to try fasting after those cheat days. It seems like such an easy concept. Maybe I just didn't WANT to fast because it sounds like such a dreadful way to spend a day (not gonna lie, I'd rather have my meals). I am wondering what the benefits are for fasting after cheat days. Is it the best way to counter so-called "damage done"?
Fast is a 4 letter word after all! Ha....don't worry you wont waste away....you can make a fasting schedule that helps you and keeps your sanity...some fast daily only eating say noon-6pm....others do longer fasts 1-2x a week. I love food....so I like to eat a few times a day so the daily fasting is more my speed. Honestly why are there cheat days? Get rid of those and alot of issues may clear up. Regular fasting may allow you to eat healthy, enjoy a variety of foods and no longer have any more cheat days as your cravings will completely change. As for fasting benefits......how about improved health, reduced inflammation, improved gut/digestion, increased mental clarity, weight loss, increased body detoxification, reduced cravings, increased longevity factors, reduced risks for most diseases, improve insulin sensitivity, etc...etc...etc. If you are using fasts just to get away with eating crappy foods....it may appear to work in the short term...but you will probably still have issues down the road and may not be getting any benefits to reversing insulin resistance, inflammation and other diseases. Sugar is not your friend......repeat with me.....

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 05-27-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote