Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 11-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
daniel lyell

Default Paleo Bowel Movemtns: WTF has happened

daniel lyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

If that's a typical days diet replacing some of the high fat foods with fruit and veggies should fix things for you.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Definitely less fat would be a good try.

It was the massive amounts of fat on the Athlete's Zone that was one reason I quit...that and I didn't gain any good weight even though I felt like my job was eating fat...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 AM
daniel lyell
This message has been deleted by daniel lyell.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Brian Stone

The best success I've had with putting on weight (what is working currently) is just massive eating. It's going to be tough to fit into the confines of Paleo/Zone and accomplish that, but it can be done, just more slowly.

My opinion is that you need to ramp up the carbs to an extent. Fats are calorie dense, but at the same time they don't digest quickly and make it harder to eat a sufficient quantity of food. I would say that should also have the ancillary benefit of resolving the issue reported herein as well.

Just a thought - this may not be an attractive option for you.

EDIT: I x-posted with you and Dr. G. If you are careful w/ your calorie intake and carbs, you can gain mass w/o significant fat. You just have to ramp up the cals / carbs gradually until you start to put on mass w/o appreciable fat gain.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
How would I properly tweak the diet for strength gain without making me a fat***. Just of note, I'm prepping for a ******* school program in two months. Basically it will be about two hours a day of Murph. Thats the best way I can think to describe it. So getting fat in the name of strength is not worth it at all to me. My metcons need to stay stellar.

On the flip side, though, I figured that extra strength should be a huge help. Hence attempting to gain some mass.
Under ideal conditions it takes an extra 700-1000kcals/d to gain 0.5-1kg of lean body mass per week so you've got some eating ahead of you if you're going to achieve your goals but you don't have to go crazy adding huge amounts of fat to your diet to do that.

As you've got a limited time to gain some weight I suggest that you forget about fad diets or dumb advice from internet fitness gurus and concentrate on following a good sports nutrition program such as the one outlined in the factsheets listed here.

After you're done reading those click here to get an estimate of how many calories you need per day to gain weight then set the carbs, fat and protein to 65%, 20% and 15% respectively. I know you're going to ask why high carbs? so here's the answer; carbs are your bodies preferred fuel, they help you train longer and harder and if there's a slight surplus at the end of the day it'll oxidise them for heat (thermogenesis ) thereby increasing your BMR rather than storing them as fat. Carbs also have a significant protein sparing effect so high carb diets result in less protein being used for fuel and more being used to build muscle.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 02-23-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Hey, you want to know one way to NOT gain weight?

Have the shits all day, every day.

Your choice.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
daniel lyell

Roger that - so instead of getting my body fat adopted, I should return to a high carb, low fat diet to gain muscle and stay highly competitive in metcons. So is the high fat low carb thing a giant myth? Are Barry Sears and Robb Wolf just talking out their a**? If so - I'll switch back over. I just want whats best for my body performance-wise. I'm not bound to any particularly eating regiment.
daniel lyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Try 2x fat first. Reduce as necessary. You can definitely fill in with protein and carbs to make up the difference.

Not everybody tolerates that amount of fat, you might be one. Just find what works for you...Robb would say the same, I would guess.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Brian Stone

It's not a myth; high fat is a great diet for many and works well depending on your goals. However, I would suggest that if you are doing anything that requires v. high caloric intake and/or sustained performance/weight gain that at least moderate carbs are the way to go.

The basis of Dr Sears et al. is hyperinsulinemia, which is very real and is serious. I would not suggest you eschew fat altogether; only that going v. low carb / high fat, given your goals and reactions, may not be right for you. That doesn't mean ditch the fat or eat a bunch of pasta, only that you should moderate your macro ratios and total calories in a manner that is more in line with what you're trying to do and how your body is reacting.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
jake oleander

Quote:
Oh forgot to add - the ***** program is seven weeks long, 5-6 days a week.
any weight you gain will be shed during that program and you'd have to eat like a lion to maintain anything on that sort of training.
lol @ murph 6 days a week, I'm about your size (same body-type, hard-gainer, etc) if i did that I know for a fact I'd lose 15lbs of muscle.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 02-23-2010 at 06:48 AM.
jake oleander is offline   Reply With Quote