Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Kelly Frankson

Default Reducing Quad Inflamation

So I haven’t been doing much Crossfit lately, just focussing on O-lifting, but since Crossfit games are coming up and I had a week off Olifting before I start building up for the next competition I have been incorporating more Crossfit elements in this week. Friday morning I went out for breakfast with my 6am class and then when I returned to the gym Patty was doing Tabata Jumping squats with the 8am class and said I should jump in and I said "sure why not", so Patty handed me a 45lb bar and without warming up or doing any high metabolic exercises since December for some reason I decided it was good idea and without thinking about it or trying to go hard or fast I started off with 20 (my regular non weighted non jumping tabata squats are at 25 but I havent done them for a while), 20 became 18 became 17 became 16 and then in the 5th round I hit 14 and told myself that enough was enough and that I wasn't going to let it drop any further so I finished with 14 (so I did 127 45lb jumping squats in 160seconds) and surprise my quads started seizing up after.

I drank tons of water and ate lots of food and stretched them out and as the day went on they started to get warm and puffy. This morning my right leg felt much better, (still some puffiness but just a regular stiff muscle thing going on), but my left leg…was swollen from the knee to the hip bone and felt like there was fluid between the muscle and skin but yet I still have full range of motion-weirdest feeling ever, just felt sick.

I remember how sore my legs were after doing tabata squats my first day of crossfit but this is totally different, then it was muscle pain trying and difficult to walk up stairs, now the muscles themselves don’t hurt, it feels like the muscles aren’t there and its something in between the skin and muscles and walking down the stairs is the challenge.

Anybody have any tricks to get swelling in the quads down?
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
Derek Weaver

Ice packs, ice baths etc.

I've never experienced anything like what you're dealing with. I'd think that if it doesn't subside soon, you may want to see a doctor. What's your range of motion like?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Sounds like rhabdo to me. A visit to a doctor would be recommended. Was there ever any color change to your urine?

Elevating the legs will likely help. Mild compression may help (I'm not sure on that one). Ice, as was mentioned earlier (not heat). There's not a whole lot that can be done for the massive amount of microtrauma that you induced.

Dynamic eccentric loading is the worst culprit of rhabdo. Jump squats, done Tabata style, with ego/pride involved (ie. "getting 14 the last round") sound like a perfect recipe for rhabdo. Your strength allowed you to do a lot of reps, however, your muscle metabolism metcon-wise currently is probably a lot like a CF newbie based on your programming.

It's not a mistake unless one refuses to learn from it. Realize that you will likely not regain your leg strength for months while your body heals all of the damage.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Kelly Frankson

As for Urine color it was kind of murky and dark yesterday but I've been overloading on water and today its clear.

Range of motion is good-going up stairs are not a problem at all, going down stairs its not that I cant make it go through the range of motion its just takes some thought and feels week. Even doing slow air squats is fine, however I wouldnt even attempt any weighted or jumping squats (and yes Garrett I think I learned my Lesson!)

Went to the Doctors..
His first comment was “Wow there is a lot of Inflammation”, but I think my favourite comment was “I don’t think there are any broken bones”-what bones am I going to break in my quad from doing jumping squats??? Then he asked me to demonstrate a squat and his response was “wow that’s a nice squat” and then he brought another dr. in and said “check out this squat” and commented on how strong I was (I sware If he asked me to do one more squat I was going to punch him) but then he showed the other doctor my quad and said he has never seen anything like it and that there is obviously some muscle strain but has no clue why there is so much fluid build up or what is causing it. They pretty much suggested I take lots of anti-imflamitorries and wrote a referral to see a physio and left it as “don’t do any more jumping squats and hopefully it will just go away on its own and the muscle will rebuild”.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

That's definitely rhabdo if your urine was reddish-brown from the myoglobin released when the muscle fiber bursts (generally from the eccentric loading... why would you tabata squats with a weight??).

Although that's really pretty odd that you swelled up but have NO symptoms of pain; most people with rhabdo complain that it hurts like a mother. Stay off it though. Keep hydrating. And really rest.. maybe light exercise. You need to let the muscles heal.

Not sure if you will be recovered enough for CF games though; depending on the extent of the rhabdo you may not be recovered for a couple months.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

If you're open to something like homeopathy, a trial of some Traumeel gel/ointment may be of some help.

BTW, I said the "mistake" comment because I've been there. Twice.

I think I had a mild case of rhabdo from my first "Tabata Something Else" workout, definitely from the squats. I was a catcher for a long time, thus air squats are something I was inherently decent at, allowing me to do some damage. The next almost-occurrence of rhabdo was when I came back after a CF layoff and did 50 GHD sit-ups combined with 20 decline situps (I think it was "Michael") and didn't recover my L-sit for about 6 months. All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't competing with anyone in those workouts or the damage would have likely been worse. Men & women will definitely die for points (or pounds, or whatever).

Your 48-hour DOMS should be setting in today quite nicely.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
Kelly Frankson

I'm open to anything Garrett and will give Traumeel a try

Saw a rehab therapist today who spent 2hrs doing active release therapy on my leg. The nervous system was shut down (that’s why there was no “pain" as such and it was hard to walk down stairs because the nerves weren’t firing to that part of the leg) and a whole lot of things were out of alignment but now at least I have control over the quad. He spent most of the time working on the Facia (no clue how to spell it) tissue around the muscles and was able to reduce a lot of the inflammation. It is still weak and not normal, but definitely a step in the right direction.

Been trying to drink lots of water, but now I have a crazy headache that just wont go away...

and yes stephen I fully realize that worst part about it is that it was self induced-I know enough to know that doing 45lb jumping tabata squats after not doing metabolic conditioning for several months is a bad idea. Not going to crossfit games is not a big concern, but not being able to compete in my next o-lifting competition is the bigger issue which made me realize where my priorities lie and will help filter out any future ideas of attempting like things.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah, we'll see what's up once the nerves start firing again.

But yeah, it depends how bad the rhabdo was pretty much determines how long you'll have the weakness and lack of strength. The muscle needs to build new muscle fibers (pretty much the only time there's hyperplasia that I've seen..) to compensate which is a slow process unlike hypertrophy. You can still do stuff, but I wouldn't push it cause it's very easy to make it worse.

CF games or Oly within about 5 weeks.. you might be good to go or you might not. However, you will probably be fairly deconditioned which wouldn't lend towards good competition anyway. Try to keep your conditioning up with your upper body... possibly work on your weakness and find some other stuff to do.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Rehab and rest now....is better than excessive trauma and hospilization later. Don't take too lightly the situation you are in. Rest and listen to your body.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Just wondering how the leg's feeling. How's the pain or lack thereof?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote