Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 05-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #11
sarena kopciel

Yeah Kelly, how ya doing? I saw you were gonna go back to your Olifting yesterday on your blog. Wasn't that way too soon? I am sure you would rather build and gain strength than be depleted in the end and have a break down
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Kelly Frankson

Default Quad update

So...8hrs of stretch therapy latter my quad is doing MUCH better. Big issue was re-aligning my body-pelvis was tilted and pretty much everything from my hip to toe on the left side was out of alignment-kind of crazy, on Sunday my left leg was actually an inch shorter than my right, but now I'm all straight! In addition to fixing my alignment he also has been working on the facia tissue. Still a bit of inflammation but definitely SIGNIFICANTLY reduced-I have been using the Traumeel Garett, thanks for the recommendation.

Did absolutely nothing on the leg Friday-Wednesday and then Wednesday night returned to o-lifting to do light power work. Absolutely no squats, just worked on power snatches and cleans from high blocks working and getting full extension and then some light snatch deadlifts. Quad felt pretty good after the session (although I didnít really use it for anything) although I could feel the outside of hip an the inside of the knee, but went straight from o-lifting to my sisters place (my sisters husband is my rehab therapist) and got things re-aligned again. On Friday I then went back and Power snatches and cleans from the ground (again with comparatively light weights and no full squats). Snatches felt really good, but with the cleans I was having problems generating power from the legs and just felt weak, but then today the light cleans felt much better and I was actually able to get some power transfer from the legs, but still no squats or anything heavy.

So progress is being made, but it will be a while before my leg will be at full strength. Starting to build it up slowly by doing low resistance rows and will start incorporating LIGHT squats to gradually re-build it. Will actually be good for me in that I rely on my leg strength way too much and tend to short the pulls (which I am not able to do power snatching and cleaning from high blocks).
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Glad to hear things are rehabbing well. Traumeel is amazing when used in the right situations (ie. "trauma", not simply DOMS, for example).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
Liam Dougherty Springer

I don't mean to butt in I just really was caught by this post. I have been haveing a hard time recovering from an intense workout in which I tried to catch up on a WOD Ihad missed due to being ill.

So I perhaps stupidly did "Jason" involving a tremendouse number (250) of body squats which I exploded through very proud of my mental dedication the sets were 4 declining in reps each time broken up by muscle ups 45 ascending in reps. The muscle ups took me so long I honestly felt fairly rested so although my legs were jello I ran a 7 minut mile then did 2 minutes of each of rows 35# dumb bel thrusters medicine ball cleans, pull ups and double unders. After this work out I no longer felt rested. I then ate alot. ate more and went to bed woke up three hours later feeling over trained and ate again. Inbetween eating drank lots of water. THe next day I fasted till 5 O clock about 15 hours and superhydrated in the meanwhile. during this time my legs began getting strangly sore, I thought nothing of it just figureing I worked hard. Then 5 days later and my legs were still extremely sore. I meen deeply aching hurts when I stand up and walk, massaging my quads feels intensely painfull deep inside the muscle. I had remained active but not training intinsely and decided not to be IFing untill this goes away. Now on the 6th day I am wanting to work out I think I will avoid squats I have much less pain today when walking up stairs and stuff but if i press my muscles there is that deep soreness that has been sticking with me an impresivly long time. I feel like I am being stupid and a sissy. I mean it seems as though that was a similar Work out to others I have had before but maybe my intensity was just ratcheted up a few notches and I stressed my legs.

I could really use some feed back. Is it a lesser version of what is going on in this thread?

Am I just over reacting or should I do something special to aid recovry befor re-engageing in the crossfit full on to avoid seriouse injury?

Is IFing a bad idea right now?

Oh yeah and I am in very good shape and have been crossfiting religousely for 6 months so I am sure its not just that never done this before type of thing.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it; the heroes can always throw you for a loop.

If there's no swelling of the muscle you can probably chalk it up to super-intense soreness that lasts 6+ days (yes, there is such thing), but you probably did destroy some muscle fibers regardless because of the volume so I'd guess some minor rhabdo as well.

Stretch them and get some light movement to help alleviate said soreness. Massage.. if possible.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote