Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Morning, pre-workout nutrition

Okay, with school out Im changing my work schedule. I asked for Mon-Thurs, with either 10-8 or 12-10 (companies descretion). So Ill either get one of those or the 8-6. Since I asked for the first 2, Ill cover that scenario. This will give me time to do my workouts in the morning, which is what I wanted, but I wonder about nutrition now. Should I just get up, take my morning supplements, and go. Make a protrein drink (been using BioTests Low Carb Grow for post workout for the last few motnhs, probably use that). Or try to get around to making breakfast the night before and eat on the way there?

Also, will this change based on the type of workout? For example, one scenario for weightlifting (mainly oly style with a little bit of power work thrown in too) which will be Tue, Thur, Sat and 'cardio' on Mon, Wed, Fri. Also, does type of cardio matter. For my goals I have cardio on an A and B alternating schedule with more endurance based work done on A and more anearobic (sp?) work on B.

My goals:
- lose body fat (down from ~30% in the begining of the year to ~22-23% and want to get down to ~8-10%)
- maintain current lean body mass (~195 pounds) or maybe gain a tiny amount, but mass gain is not my current priority
- succeed in sheriffs academy which if all goes well will be in Jan (hence the endurance based work, need to get used to large amounts of running, which I have been working on, slowly but surely, for about 2 months)
- sometime mid next year, compete in some highland games, purely for fun, as long as I dont break a bone or throw a weight into the crowd, dont care how I do

Diet
- clean, tried IF about a year and a half ago, lost some weight, but found it hard to stick to (used Fast-5 approach). Decided to just work on eating clean/healthy since when I fell off the IF wagon, I also started eating like crap in general for a few months.
- this brings up another question though, kinda interested in trying IF again, and now that Im more used to a clean diet, not so worried about what will happen if it doesnt work out. Looking at the 15 hour plan (stop eating at 5pm and start again at ~8-10AM), and coming off it every other weekend (Fri-Sun) when I go down to visit my girlfriend. Think this would work with my goals?

I know this is really long, and I doubt any one could person could provide an answer for all the questions (but wouldnt be surprised, good minds here), but even some general ideas would be good since Im really lost right now.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

What time will you wake up on this new schedule(s)?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
Brandon Enos

Its going to have to be about 6:30, maybe even 6. Sounds like a lot of time, but not really. I guess it is on 12 start days, but on 10, not really. About 1.5 hours of that (depending on traffic) will be just getting to work. Then about another 1/2 - 3/4 hour for putting my gym cloothes on, getting to gym, taking a shower, and putting work clothes on. So right there, even if wake up at 6, that still only leaves me 2 hours to eat and workout.

And as far as the weight workouts, Im going to do the programs in Jim Schmitz's Olympic-style weightlifting for Beginners to Intermediates. They look like theyll take about an hour to complete. My only problem with them is they seem to be more geared towards those actually interested in the sport instead of guys like me who just want the oly-style lifting benefits, but he also includes various squats and even bench pressing, so it does look like a good, solid all around program for what I want.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Depends on how much time you want to spend on making breakfast.

No time = something like liver tabs or a protein shake. Both can be eaten on the drive to work, which isn't ideal anyway for digestion.

As far as the weight program, why not do SS 2 days a week? Then you get the slow lifts and cleans for the OL part.

First thing, how is your running training going? Are you on pace with that? If not, then you need to stop being distracted with all the other training "wants"...
Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Brandon Enos

Ill try the protein shake this week and see how it goes. This will actually be pretty good since my schedule doesnt change until June 2nd, so I can use this week to test times and what not.

Yeah, you may be right for SS two times a day. It is a solid program and I did make some good gains on it. My only problem is the heavy amount of squating isnt really ideal for a high amount of running, which I noticed trying to do 3 days SS and 3 days running, but with only 2 days, might not be as bad. Also, what do recomend for mor pulling exercises? I kinda felt like a lot of my back was being ignored with my only pulling exercises being deads and power cleans. This may just be bc I dont have very high body intuincy (sp?) yet, but I dont know. Dont really want any imbalances between my pushing and pulling muscles.

As far as running, not bad. Started slower than I had expected, but it has been picking up well. I have a written test Saturday with an oppurtunity for a practice physical afterwards so Ill have a better idea then then with 2 weeks to make any necessary changes, hopefully I wont have to make any....
Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Pulling exercises that I've found compatible other than DLs, power & squat cleans: Pendlay rows, weighted pull-ups and chin-ups.

If they do a lot of push-ups in the academy, I'd suggest using those as your pushing exercise at least one of those days a week. Or simply do a good bit of them as part of a warm-up.

I do an SS-inspired workout twice a week, I use back squats one day, front squats the other. I think it works well and keeps my OL-related strength moving forward at the same time. I think it is an incredible program--I simply tweaked it slightly to my wants.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Brandon Enos

I know the more you alter something, the less it is Starting Strength, but I think I may have thought of a way to add a 3rd day at low stress...

Tue -
Back Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift

Thur -
Front Squat
Standing Press
Power Clean

Sat -
Overhead Squat
Pushups (weighted or lots of unweighted, not sure yet)
Power Snatch

Every day, weight lessens but muscles at work stay relatively the same. Get a good mix of oly and powerlifting, with pushups for the academy (need to keep bench in since thats tested in the academy as well). And like I said, everyday weight lessens so hopefully wont negatively affect my running, while still giving me a good workout.

I know its no longer SS at this point, but how does that look as a general program?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Hmm, I'd put DL at the end of the week when you want the big hormonal response going into your 2 day recovery. Should leave you a bit less fatigued for the higher skill oly in the beginning of the week as well which is good.

Although honestly it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. I would, however, suggest you put your oly first because you wanna do those when fresh unless your technique is already impeccable.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Brandon Enos

So basically like this?

Tue -
Power Snatch
Back Squat
Bench Press

Thur -
Power Clean
Front Squat
Standing Press

Sat -
Overhead Squat
Pushups (weighted or lots of unweighted, not sure yet)
Deadlift

Should the deadlift come first on the last day? Its sorta taking the place of the oly lifting on that day, but since the OHS is kinda oly technique work you could say, maybe that should be first...Like you said, in the grand scheme of things, not that important, but if something can be made better, why not?