Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Default Give a never-changing plan

Hello folks,

I posted this on the crossfit forum and a few people responded but it didn't really take off. Perhaps it is stupid and/or perhaps many of us are working on progressing in various skills so we don't think about maintenance.

Anyway, if you do think it is somewhat interesting, feel free to share your thoughts, here's the original post (with minor edits):

-------------------
Hello folks,

This is just a thought experiment to see what people think. Suppose you had a client/relative/friend/etc that knows he (or she) needs to workout, but they aren't "into it" the way crossfit people are (or other athletes for that matter). They wish to be in good shape (though not necessarily elite) but they are doing it to live longer, feel better, maintain muscle, keep a clear mind, etc. They don't particularly love it, though. They have discipline and will do what you say with the following rules:

1. they will work out five days/week (weekends off)
2. they will work out no more than 15min/day
3. they will do virtually any exercise you name
4. they will progress to a certain point, but don't have a desire for continuous progress, they are happy with maintenance

What number 4 means is that if they cannot currently do a task that you list, they will work until they can, but then not progress any further. As an example, say you tell them as part of their routine to squat 1x bodyweight for three sets of five. Perhaps now they cannot do that...they will work and progress until they can, but then they will stop once that goal is achieved and then do the required work, five days/week.

Obviously, this rule can be 'gamed' by saying something like squat 4x bodyweight, which could take a decade...but hopefully everyone understands the spirit of what I'm asking. Taking some time to get to an acceptable level of fitness is fine, but we are aiming for reasonable maintenance, not elite athletes.

In a similar vein, you can't have squats on monday, presses on tuesday, etc...the exact same thing will be done on all five days.

While this is mostly for fun, I could see certain people wanting something like this (I know people like this actually, they run 5mi/day and/or do 50 pushups and 50 situps or some such). Often they have a program that is less than ideal (aka LSD running) and you've been given the chance to 'make it right' so to speak.

This question was motivated by shovelglove.com (wfs), which is a pretty interesting solution to the problem (and his nosdiet is a neat idea also). He chose 14min (and gives a detailed explanation why) but I rounded up. He also went with 5days/week so I stuck with that. He is only doing one thing (though different motions), but you do not have that restriction.

You can have bodyweight stuff, KBs, running/sprinting, slow-lifts, o-lifts, etc...wide open.

If you think this is somewhat interesting, please let me know what your routine would be. Thanks...

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Steve Rogers

Default PC/SP/FS Complex

With barbell, dumbbells, or kettlebells:

Power Clean the weight(s) and from the rack do a shoulder press followed by a front squat, then put the weight(s) down. Repeat until 15 minutes is up.

I haven't done this, but think it would work if you can stand doing the same thing every day. I like more variety, but will probably try this some time.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Pick 6 workouts....number them 1-6....roll a dice on workout days....do the workout.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Thanks folks.

Yes, I like more variety also. It was just an exercise to see what people would say. I made it the same workout everyday for a couple reasons. I wanted the stress to be low enough that it could be done every day. I know people that run three miles everyday for example (at 5am no less, sheesh).

Most of us don't think like this, but quite a few people do. Also, the somewhat arbitrary rule forces people to choose and whittle down to what they consider most important.

howard
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Get in a fight every day.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Howard Wilcox

Well...at least that would be more interesting than running.

howard
Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Tabatas or double tabatas.

Kettlebell:
swings and snatches (14 min. might be long for snatches)
long cycle clean and jerk

burpees
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote