Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Matt Lawson

Default This month's Men's Health

Flip to the back and you will find a short article on IF. Anyone from here write that? What do you guys think of it?
Matt Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lawson View Post
Flip to the back and you will find a short article on IF. Anyone from here write that? What do you guys think of it?
The mag is garbage, not sure about the article.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

IF in Men's Health? Hmmmm....will have to go to B&N to read it....as I don't have a subscription to it thank goodness....
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Matt Lawson

i fully agree that it is a POS mag but i thought finding it in there was interesting none the less.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Read it....too bad it is buried back on page like 275...by the time any reader gets back there from all the calogne and other ads....doubt they will read it. Also it is geared as a way to improve health....and unless you start the story with "how to get six pack abs" many who read that magazine will not even bother. Not too mention good luck getting anyone brainwashed on 6 meals a day (which is what that magazine sells) to even consider skipping one meal...otherwise the evil negative nitrogen balanced cortisol metabolism crushing monster will come steal all your muscle, make you fat and have your girlfriend sleep with your trainer. Too bad.....the message is good....the magazine is not.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 05-28-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Matt Lawson

yeah, i hate the mag but having it in there does help sway clients that would be otherwise hard to sway. I hate that there are people out there that feel that they must have crap validated by men's health. I applaud all of you guys for being way ahead of the curve.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

I don't think you will get much real info from a magazine....looking at the 80/20 rule for all things health and fitness......80% of real results come from 20% of exercises/foods (focusing on the most important ones)....but....to keep selling a magazine monthly with 300pages and make a business from it....you have to keep selling the other 80% that gives little results......plus if you were fit...why would you ever read it again? So something to be said for them wanting people to always be focusing on the little things....and keep coming back thinking "well this month I'll learn something new"....sad really.

But....education comes in stages....from doing nothing....to reading Men's Health....to finding a 5x5 program....to reading the Paleo Diet book.....etc. If it serves as a stepping stone to better health and awareness then it does some good....although does it equally balance out all the harm it does by confusing people monthly and making their journey towards real results a slow one?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Matt Lawson

[/quote]does it equally balance out all the harm it does by confusing people monthly and making their journey towards real results a slow one?[/quote]

I dont believe so. I wasn't trying to sound as if i am defending the mag. I gave it (the mag) up a long time ago and moved on to the greener pastures of picking the brains of men and women on this forum.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Derek Simonds

I read the mag from cover to cover yesterday on a flight to HSV. I forgot to grab any reading material when I left the house at 0 dark hundred.

There is a good article in there about a very simple sandbag training routine used by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the off season and another little nugget about interval training.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

MH and Maxim both suck as men's mags. Subscribe to Playboy, CFJ, and PMJ, and get RSS feeds to MOD, Kustes, and a couple others. The best of all worlds.